Can you help?

DeafRaptor

Reaction score
:wave: I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been around reading threads now and then. But now I was wondering if I can plead with you and ask for your help (oh, and if this is the wrong location, please move to the appropriate forum within AllDeaf).

Due to a spinal cord injury in my lower back that was diagnosed this last February, I suffer from severe chronic pain and paresis (which now kicks in with any physical activity) in my lower back and legs. :tears: I have had physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments, and even myofascial release massages, but they seem to have improved my condition as much as they are going to. It has been a very challenging time for me and my severe depression has even chosen to rear its ugly head again. :( I am still waiting for my insurance to acknowledge that my plan allows for the chiropractic treatments I have been receiving (I couldn't wait 5+ months to start treatment!) and then I will be able to see if they will agree to cover the purchase of a personal wheelchair for me. I know they will fight me on it as I only absolutely need a wheelchair about half the time and, the other half of the time, I am fairly ambulatory. However, due to the difficulty in getting around and not having any equipment to help, I have had to use all of my sick leave and vacation time that I had saved up over the last few years as I could not get to or get around at work. Soon I will have to take leave without pay, which I cannot afford to do with all my medical bills! :shock: My service dog, Leah, has done a lot in learning additional service dog tasks, such as picking up items that are below waist height and opening and closing drawers and doors for me, in such a short time. She has even made quick strides in learning to work around the public wheelchair they offer at the local shopping center; oh, what a relief it is when I get to use one! :cool2: She has already been trained for counter-balance due to the vertigo attacks that I have, but her vest with pull handle is not designed for the additional mobility support I now need and she is just too little short for me to rest my hand directly on her back for that support.

I have discovered the BLD mobility support harness will go a long way in meeting my present needs. You can learn more about that particular harness here (with captioning option): Bold Lead Designs' Mobility Support Harness

Due to the many expenses in diagnosing and treating my current condition, the price of the custom-tailored harness is a bit much, so I am trying to reach out to anyone and everyone I know to ask for any contributions they may be able and willing to make. It took awhile for me to get the courage to ask for this help, as I really want to be self-dependent (both relating to my disability and my financial situation) and it feels like I am taking advantage of the friendship and kindness of others to ask for their help. I know this time is hard on everyone right now, so even if you cannot make a contribution yourself, I would appreciate it if you would forward this message to people you know and other websites that you use (Facebook, MySpace, etc) to help spread the word. Pretty much anyone should be able to follow this link: ChipIn: Mobility Support Harness to make a contribution using Paypal.

As compensation for any contributions, I would be willing to post more pictures and videos of Leah, if you would like. :mrgreen: At the least, I plan on posting a picture of Leah in the BLD mobility support harness if and when we are able to raise the funds and it arrives. Thank you if you took the time to read this, thank you if you are willing to forward this message, and thank you from the bottom of my heart if you are able to contribute as I do not know if I could ever fully express my gratitude. :ty:

Back