Can I still get CI?

jcandpcb

Reaction score
I planned this year to start the process for CI surgery. Few weeks ago I found I have a condition called Chiari one Malformation and need decompression brain surgery to treat. Surgery isn't a cure, it's a treatment. I know I will need MRI, and possibly follow up MRI after surgery and once or twice a year to monitor especially if I still have symptoms.

Can you have Cochlear Implants but still have Brain/spine MRI? I would think no. The neurosurgeon said you can have MRI with the implants as long as you take them out first :)mad2:)

My 'terp looked at him and said you can't just take them out. THey're implants. In her head. (I love this woman)

So what's the deal - can I have MRI with CI? Knowing that I will have to keep doing repeat scans?

You can have MRI with some CI today, and I think for ones you can't, they just take the magnets out.

I am more surprised you would worry about it, before getting the surgery to stabilize the neck and head so the Chiari malformation doesn't kill you.

You could consider getting the CI after.

with the Med-El implant, the tesla of the MRI has to be 1.3 or lower (if I remember that right) without having to remove the implant. Cochlear and AB have implants in which the magnets can be removed from the internal device. so if you should need a follow up MRI once a year, you'll have to have the internal magnet removed, get the MRI done, then get a new magnet put back in on a yearly basis. This would be something to discuss with the CI surgeon if you decide to go for the CI, and with the neurosurgeon as well. I don't know if anyone other than a CI surgeon can take the internal magnet out then replace them with a new one after the MRI.

No I wasn't worried about getting the CI before chiari surgery - that has to come first - it was just a question because I've been wanting the CI for so long, didn't know if it's still even possible after despite having decompression surgery. I'd rather have my life than my hearing. Good to know though i'll look into that at some point.

MRI said on request to ENT is Brain, Specilaist Professioanl to reason
Sorry hear you not resolve
you contact to Doctor ENT!!

I assurance!

Back