C.I.C. hearing aids for moderate hearing loss?

Lou82

Reaction score
Hi, I just got back from the audiologist and I asked her if I was a candidate for C.I.C. hearing aids and she told me she does not think C.I.C hearing aids will help me much because I have a moderate loss. She recommended I.T.Es which I do not want to wear so we discussed the sebotek's

Does anybody with moderate hearing loss wear C.I.C's?

Thanks

Lou........ Keep an open mind as to size of hearing aid. Generally the CICs aren't powerful enough, for more then mild losses. Sometimes the ITEs can do it, but size still pretty much equates with power. Take a BTE for a test run.......you might be surprised. I wore ITEs for a few years, and thought I could hear.....was mostly just speechreading. Thank Bob for that audi who had me put on a BTE......haven't looked back since!

Lou........ Keep an open mind as to size of hearing aid. Generally the CICs aren't powerful enough, for more then mild losses. Sometimes the ITEs can do it, but size still pretty much equates with power. Take a BTE for a test run.......you might be surprised. I wore ITEs for a few years, and thought I could hear.....was mostly just speechreading. Thank Bob for that audi who had me put on a BTE......haven't looked back since!

I only have a moderate loss so i dont need a BTE right now. The doctor preferred ITE, when I told her I didnt want those we talked about the sebotek's which I heard good things about.

Can I ask why you don't want to wear an ITE?

To respond directly to your question: your audiologist has your audiogram - if they say you won't get enough volume from a CIC, they're almost certainly right, and you're not going to get better advice from a bunch of folks on the internet with nothing but personal experience and anecdotes. That said, with a moderate loss, I would be skeptical of any claim that a CIC would give you enough power.

I only have a moderate loss so i dont need a BTE right now
They make BTEs for moderate losses. I mean I know you don't need the power of a BTE, but on the other hand, you might be able to get better gain from a BTE. The difference can be ASTOUNDING! They are more durable.....like the CIC aids don't last too long.........the ITE aids are kinda uncomfortable (hard plastic)

Can I ask why you don't want to wear an ITE?

To respond directly to your question: your audiologist has your audiogram - if they say you won't get enough volume from a CIC, they're almost certainly right, and you're not going to get better advice from a bunch of folks on the internet with nothing but personal experience and anecdotes. That said, with a moderate loss, I would be skeptical of any claim that a CIC would give you enough power.

I am image conscious. Ill admit...

As for the hearing aids, Im asking only because I thought I have read numerous posters on this board who hav C.I.C. with moderate losses.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I am image conscious. Ill admit...
They make mini-BTEs, which tend not to be as noticable. Trust me......the marketing that baby aids are less noticable, must have been started by the same people who pushed haliosistis as a "disease"......... I've worn hearing aids since I was three, and hardly ANYONE notices them!(and I have VERY "butch cut" short hair) I used to be very self conscious about them.........but I mean it's not like they are body worn aids, or ear horns. Trust me........the trade off is just amazing. Yeah, there's the downside that people might think you're 80 years old.......but you could get a cool looking clear one or a colored one! HEARING people have told me that my colored aids are wicked cool. Having a colored aid kind of projects the imagine that you're a cool dude! Plus, BETTER HEARING!!!!!! Trust me.....the trade off is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Lou, i wore ITE aides for years, one set was actually a half shell. That's what my 22 yo wears. (in one ear, she has the other implanted with the envoy HA, she is participating in the clinical trial...the envoy is all under the skin)

Anyway. There are factors in why you may not be able to get a CIC aide. In the case of me and my daughter it's small ear canals. They just wouldn't have been able to make it strong enough and still get it to fit in our ear canals. :) You could try asking you audiologist exactly why he/she thinks a cic won't work for you. They should be able to explain why. And look at it this way, with the cost of the things if they're being honest about why you shouldn't purchase the cic vs an ite at least if you decide to by the cic you can only blame yourself if it really doesn't work very well for you. (been there done that..... should have listened when she said an ite wouldn't be powerful enough, sigh)

good luck.

Hi, I just got back from the audiologist and I asked her if I was a candidate for C.I.C. hearing aids and she told me she does not think C.I.C hearing aids will help me much because I have a moderate loss. She recommended I.T.Es which I do not want to wear so we discussed the sebotek's

Does anybody with moderate hearing loss wear C.I.C's?

Thanks

Audioglist isn't joke because they are write on audiogram and check out in sound booth then collect an information on record, and audioglist will explain about record that you can get benefit with BTE, CIC and ITE and if your audiogram is higher of hearing loss (cannot hear about after 40-50 db) then you are none of benefit to get CIC but only BTE will help alot for you. I don't know about ITE but depends on audiogram that you can get benefit.

If audioglist recommended you to wear BTE then accept it and ask them about want choose different colors for molds and HA, that's not bad for you. If you don't accept then save your money then go to Costco and buy new ITE.

Thanks for the help. Again, It was not a case of me not trusting my audi, it just thought I read members here who had CICs with a moderate loss. I probably got it mixed up with ITEs

My audiologist recommended ITEs but I wanted something less noticeable and we decided to go with the seboteks which is open fitted and the piece that rest on the back of the ear (more like behind the ear) is the size of a pencil eraser. I have heard good things about the sebotek's too. These will be my first aids so hopefully they will help me in my working environment. I need help with soft speech or when people talk to me from a far distance without raising their voice. I am just tired of always asking people to speak louder or to repeat what they said so I decided to go with hearing aids. My audi thinks the seboteks will help me very much.

Thanks again all.

Lou, if they are your first hearing aids, experiment.....please, please experiment and see which ones are the best for you. You might see an improvement with the bitty aids, but you also might find a BTE to be FAR better.

LOL... I prefer to wear BTE because molds are soft. :)

Back