Bye, Bye Circuit City

I'm sorry to see Circuit City go. I grew up in Richmond, Va so I remember shopping there every now and then.

You are a smart cookie. Not because you shop BB, just because you do not trust 3rd party. Who REALLY knows what it is like, right? Its not like we've seen a big electronic business liquidate in a very very long time. Im very curious to see how it goes and what will come in the future. BB is expecting to see decline in business for a couple of weeks. But after that, I cannot wait to see what happens! I really hope it is a lift for us, but I am also sad for the people losing jobs. I know we will be taking some in, because there is a CC.. no joke.. 6 stores down from us in the shopping center that my BB is in.

that's exactly what i worry about when buying from a 3rd party. there's just too much risk involved, imo.

i don't know how long my new HDTV will last, but if it's only for a few more years, at least i feel better knowing it is still being supported by a company who is still in business (or at least i hope best buy will still be in business by then!).

i also feel for those who have lost their jobs. it's such a difficult position to be in and i certainly do not envy them.

Our CC closed I believed in December. I was glad to see it happen. I refused to buy anything from there even if it was a good deal. There was so many times I would go in and I was ignorned over the people who appeared to have money. After a while I choose never to go back. Screw that..you don't get my money if you think you are better then me

You are a smart cookie. Not because you shop BB, just because you do not trust 3rd party. Who REALLY knows what it is like, right? Its not like we've seen a big electronic business liquidate in a very very long time. Im very curious to see how it goes and what will come in the future. BB is expecting to see decline in business for a couple of weeks. But after that, I cannot wait to see what happens! I really hope it is a lift for us, but I am also sad for the people losing jobs. I know we will be taking some in, because there is a CC.. no joke.. 6 stores down from us in the shopping center that my BB is in.

Do you have source to support your statement in bold, I believe BB does very well in sales and haven't hear about any layoff or decline of sales, BB is dominant company over CC and CC isn't doing very well with sales since around 2000's.

Ouch, I feel bad for CC employees.

I remember about CC were sole electronic retailers in my state and CA during 90's and BB isn't expanding until early 2000's, now, 1 CC store has been closed so recently in nearly to my area.

I never forgot about this CC ads in early 90's.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZSH5BfpAg]YouTube - 90's Circuit City Commercial[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf7qOowOjXQ&feature=related]YouTube - circuit city christmas sale 1991[/ame]

Yeah, I remember that giant plug at the end of the ads. :P

I bought the 32" Olevia LCD HDTV from Circuit City on sale 2 years ago, it was cheaper than any 32" out there. Now, many 32" are in the similar price range. :P Olevia is a good brand and I haven't heard any issues with them. Of course, the company is still around.

Yeah, I remember that giant plug at the end of the ads. :P

I bought the 32" Olevia LCD HDTV from Circuit City on sale 2 years ago, it was cheaper than any 32" out there. Now, many 32" are in the similar price range. :P Olevia is a good brand and I haven't heard any issues with them. Of course, the company is still around.

I remember that deal! You got lucky, big time lucky. I was trying to get one but I couldn't because i was late and they kept getting sold out.

I had to settle for a 32" Westinghouse from 2006 BBuy Black Friday. That one is junk compared to the Olevia.

I remember that deal! You got lucky, big time lucky. I was trying to get one but I couldn't because i was late and they kept getting sold out.

I had to settle for a 32" Westinghouse from 2006 BBuy Black Friday. That one is junk compared to the Olevia.

Yeah, I indeed WAS lucky but my HDTV got stolen in Sept 2008...I do miss it dearly. :( The theives got themselves a deal. I did post a thread about my stuff being stolen on Alldeaf in around early October. It does suck, though.

From what I know, Westinghouse is basically a rejected Samsung HDTVs, which is why they are cheap.

Do you have source to support your statement in bold, I believe BB does very well in sales and haven't hear about any layoff or decline of sales, BB is dominant company over CC and CC isn't doing very well with sales since around 2000's.

Its a known fact that our company will suffer a teeny bit due to liquidation pricing at CC. These days a lot of people just want a deal and will take it, even if it means risking the products life expectancy and warranty. It happens whenever a retailer closes- the surrounding competitors suffer for the first month or so, while the inventory at the opposing store decreases- the sales go back up as there is nothing good left at the closing store.

Also- this was sent out in an email to all Managers and Supervisors at BB retail locations, with a statement from the man who is head of company. Since I am supervisor at a store- I received this email and many others addressing the issue.

BB is not going out of business. To avoid layoffs, they have offered many corporate employees severance packages and we did not keep ANY seasonal employees this year unless it was absolutely necessary for staffing reasons. We're doing what we can do avoid any store closings. So far we're doing fine. Its scary- but its reality and in order to avoid having to close, we're doing what we have to. Its been a tight month- but at least we all still have a job.

CC sucks anyway. They tried to rip me off and tried to give me the runaround TWICE, but I stood my ground, and made them realize that they cannot take advantage of me. I got what I needed, and I never went back ever again.

Geez! That's bad news for us, why? I text out loud, Circuit City and Best Buy are in compete each other on price for any products after CC closed then we might stuck with BB price cause there no another compete against one.

Geez! That's bad news for us, why? I text out loud, Circuit City and Best Buy are in compete each other on price for any products after CC closed then we might stuck with BB price cause there no another compete against one.

There's other electronic store is compete with BB, Fry's and hhgreg but both of them aren't strong as CC when compete against BB, however I know hhgreg isn't full electronic store as BB due lacks of video gaming, DVD movies and other stuff.

Yup, it's indeed sad for CC but CC has been became weaken in after 2000's.

Back