Buzzing?

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
I've had my CI activated for over a week. The last few days I've been hearing this Buzzing noise. To me it sounds like a cat purring or white noise. I know it's not my cat purring because I would go up to Hobbes/Mocha and feel their necks, and it's not purring. It's more of a constant buzzing. I've asked my hearing boyfriend if he hears anything (especially now, since I'm hearing noises everywhere making me feel like I'm going insane). He doesn't hear anything. I know it's not the batteries as they're fresh.

Is this electrical noise? The high frequency sounds too loud? I know it's not tinnitus because when I turn off the CI, it's off. I have my first REAL mapping next Friday, but I'm just not sure how to explain it in CI terminology. :ty:

Last edited:
Yay a post that's nothing to do with controversial stuff. :roll:

I've had my CI activated for over a week. The last few days I've been hearing this Buzzing noise. To me it sounds like a cat purring or white noise. I know it's not my cat purring because I would go up to Hobbes/Mocha and feel their necks, and it's not purring. It's more of a constant buzzing. I've asked my hearing boyfriend if he hears anything (especially now, since I'm hearing noises everywhere making me feel like I'm going insane). He doesn't hear anything. I know it's not the batteries as they're fresh.

Is this electrical noise? The high frequency sounds too loud? I know it's not tinnitus because when I turn off the CI, it's off. I have my first REAL mapping next Friday, but I'm just not sure how to explain it in CI terminology. :ty:

The only thing I can think of is maybe the ear hook. Mine makes a static sound and I just changed the hook and it went away.

Do you live in warm climate and do you think you have crickets in your area?

It cold for crickets in my area right now but during the warm season I have been hearing some buzzing sounds and I was so baffled where it came from until I finally pest my hearing brother to investage it and he said it coming from the crickets outside.

My brother said crickets make a really loud buzzing sounds.

To the above posters - Nope. I live in NJ, so it's fairly cold...aside from the lack of snow (seriously, it only snowed in my area ONCE this year!), so no crickets.

Vallee - Interesting you said that, but I have freedom, so I don't have T-mic or anything of the sort like Harmony. For Freedom, it's just a little nub to put the ear hook on. So, no it doesn't make a difference.

Is it your heating unit blowing air?

I thought of that, checked, nope. It sounds like white noise, you know the "snow" from the TV? It's like way in the background.

I went outside of my apartment, still buzzing. So it's most likely not anything electrical in the house.

I tried to changed the microphone protectors, still sound the same.

I'm thinking that it's the program...I tried changing it from P1 to P2 to P3...all three still had the buzzing.

Hmm....maybe I *am* going insane. :fruit:

wow a new noise! It might be the heater. have fun finding it. Let us know.

Have you tried shut entire house electricity and everything off and see if it still makes noise? And also check your ci makes sure its not on telecoil by accident too. If still makes noise then call audiologist, little worried if you have soft failure.

Forgot to add, you live in nj? Where in NJ? I live in MD 5 min from newark, delaware (northwest delaware)

Have you tried shut entire house electricity and everything off and see if it still makes noise? And also check your ci makes sure its not on telecoil by accident too. If still makes noise then call audiologist, little worried if you have soft failure.

SOFT FAILURE! AHHHHHHH! Don't jinx me. :eek2:

Nope, it's not on telecoil. When i got activated, the audiologist shut off a lot of stuff (I think she knew that I would be playing with all the programs if I had access!), so I have no telecoil, no EA access, etc. Plus, on my processor it says P2 M, so it's on microphone.

I live in an apartment, and I think if I shut off the electricity, I would have a riot on my hands. :rl:

SOFT FAILURE! AHHHHHHH! Don't jinx me. :eek2:

Nope, it's not on telecoil. When i got activated, the audiologist shut off a lot of stuff (I think she knew that I would be playing with all the programs if I had access!), so I have no telecoil, no EA access, etc. Plus, on my processor it says P2 M, so it's on microphone.

I live in an apartment, and I think if I shut off the electricity, I would have a riot on my hands. :rl:

Ohh ok hm strange.
Oh haha ok about electricity, hmm I have idea, go take a drive to somewhere quiet and not busy like huge park you can go to stand middle of the park and listen to see if still makes buzzing noise, if it stop then keep hunting for that noise, might be refridgerator, might be downstair or upstair people's stuff like heater, tv, car driving by outside, many possibility you might've missed. Try go to quiet non-electricity place to see.

Lady,

I wonder if you accidentally have your Freedom set to the T-coil setting? If so, that might be responsible for the buzzing you hear.

I was wondering the same myself when I read this thread earlier today... when I have my HA on t-coil, certain electronic devics cause a buzzing.... some houses are REALLY bad (old ones with crappy wiring) or if I drive while on phone, with headlights on, vs off.... or near a TV... I hear buzzing if I try to use a phone on t-coil. If it is something you are not famikliar with, it very well could be a t-coil setting

Ditto on the T-coil setting. That will always pickup stray and random electrical noises.

LadySekhemet

Have you tried siting in a chair and be perfectly still? I could not believe how much noise my jeans made while walking and I wonder what was all that static at first turn on with the implant!

I was wondering the same myself when I read this thread earlier today... when I have my HA on t-coil, certain electronic devics cause a buzzing.... some houses are REALLY bad (old ones with crappy wiring) or if I drive while on phone, with headlights on, vs off.... or near a TV... I hear buzzing if I try to use a phone on t-coil. If it is something you are not famikliar with, it very well could be a t-coil setting

If my CI was on T-Coil setting, I would NOT hear at all. So, no it's not on T-coil. I doubled checked, it says M for microphone (on Freedom).

LadySekhemet

Have you tried siting in a chair and be perfectly still? I could not believe how much noise my jeans made while walking and I wonder what was all that static at first turn on with the implant!

Lol - Yep I've tried to sit still. I know what rubbing of the jeans sound like so, that's not it.

If my CI was on T-Coil setting, I would NOT hear at all. So, no it's not on T-coil. I doubled checked, it says M for microphone (on Freedom).

Then possibly your external device may be malfunctioning. You might want to get that checked out.

Question - Did you get a second one as a spare? Try that one and see.

Hello everyone...

I think I'm going to let this go and see what the audiologist say. My boyfriend suspect that it has to do with the fact that the high frequency stuff is there, but the lows are too low, so it gets out of balance. I'm going to email my audiologist and see what she says. I'm just getting a little annoyed by this, and hope it will be solved soon. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

I am all for having it checked out with your audie but it maybe because you are only a week past activation and at this stage, maps can be very rough and crude. I heard static, squealing and peeping in my first week or two. But it all went away with subsequent maps when the dynamic range improved and therefore quality improved. So it could be a sign that you need a new map already.

My sympathies are with you. The first few weeks are frustrating, annoying and worrying. I hope that it does just turn out to be nothing more than the crudeness of the map. However, seeing the audiologist may reassure you that there is nothing more serious such as failure etc. You don't want that stress.

Back