Buying a new puppy? Read this first please

Cane Corso

Reaction score
Please take your time to educate yourself first before you go to pet store or look into the newspaper to buy a puppy. There are breeders will not test their stocks for genetic defects. You may come home with a sick puppy and later realize you didn't get any supports from your local breeder. Questions To Ask Your Breeder Plan ahead...Original article written by the Rottweiler Club of New Mexico and modified with permission by Liz Bauer.

1. Are both the sire and dam of the litter O.F.A. certified?

Correct answer: Yes, both sire and dam are OFA certified. I can show you copies of the OFA certificates. (You should also ask for the OFA numbers and you can cantact the OFA Registry)

Incorrect answer: Oh, no, we don't have an OFA certification, but the hips are "clear". Our vet checked them out. I don't really know if the sire's hips are ok or not. Hang up the phone and end the conversation here. If the hips were not certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, then you don't know if hip displasia is present or not. Many "breeders" will tell you the hips are "clear" meaning they had a vet who was probably not a Board Certified radiologist look at the hips and say they looked OK. *Unless the Vet is Board Certified, he doesn't really know what he's looking at.

THESE DISEASES ARE THE RESULT OF COMBINATIONS OF MUTIPLE GENES, THEREFORE CERTIFICATION OF THE PARENTS DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE PUPPIES WILL BE DISEASE FREE. ASK FOR A CONTRACT WHICH GUARANTEES AGAINST ALL GENETIC DISORDERS.

2. Are either the sire or and the dam titled in conformation or working trials such as Schutzhund, AKC obedience, German or AKC style conformation shows?

Correct answer: Yes, the dam has her C.D. (an AKC obedience title) and is in training for her BH (a Schutzhund obedience and temperament title) which we hope to complete next year. She has also been shown in the German breed ring and was rated V-2, I can give you a copy of her critique (German shows provide each dog with a written critique of the dogs conformation). The sire is pointed (in order to become an AKC champion, a dog must accumulate 15 points. When someone says to you that a dog is pointd that means that it has some points towards its championship title, but has not yet accumulated the 15 points necessary to be a champion), and has a Schutzhund three (a German title involving tracking, obedience and protection).

Incorrect answer: Well, no, we've never shown our bitch. We just bought her as a pet. But I know she's a good quality Rottweiler because she has champions in her pedigree, and we paid a lot of money for her. (Translation: We do not know, nor do we care about the future of the Rottweiler breed. We spent a lot of money for this dog, and we want to make money selling her puppies. We do not want to bother with hip x-rays, dog shows, obedience training, or learning about the strengths and weaknesses of our bitch's bloodlines because that takes time and money.....)

3. Why did you decide to breed your female?

Correct answer: We feel that she is a good representative or the Rottweiler breed and has something to offer to perpetuate the desirable qualities of the breed. For example, she has demonstrated her working ablility by earning an AKC obedience title. She has a lovely head, which you don't see very often in a bitch. She has a very dark eye, nice small ears, full detention and a scissors bite, an iron topline, and very fluid movement. Both of her parents are titled. She comes from a litter of 6 puppies and of those 6, 4 have already finished conformation and/or obedience titles, and 3 have earned Schutzhund titles. Also, of the 6 puppies, 5 are OFA certified. We searched for a male that complimented her and found one we like in Chicago, so we sent her there to be bred. We didn't want to breed her unless we found the right male for her. The sire of the litter has produced several schutzhund, obedience titled and champion offspring, so we know he has the ability to pass on his good qualities.

Incorrect answer: We spent several hundred dollars for this dog and we wanted to get back some of our investment. Besides, she's a beautiful bitch. She has perfect markings, and she has a great pedigree. There are 20 champions in 5 generations! We also wanted to keep a puppy for ouselves. (What this person is telling you is that he/she is only breeding their dog for the sake of making money. They may not be doing this maliciously... But they by no means have taken the time and effort to prove this bitch's quality, and he probably bred to the closest and cheapest male. He may even own the stud dog as well. When someone says their dog has a "championship bloodline", they usually meant that the great-grandparents have a championship title. Seldom will the parents or the grand-parents be titled. The great-grandparents are too far removed genetically to have a great influence on the quality of these puppies. Once again, hang up!)

4. Have both the sire and dam been tested for genetic defects such as hypothyroidism, cataracts, sub-aortic stenosis, or von Willebrands Disease (a bleeding disorder)? Is there any history or entropian or ectropian in the bloodlines?

Correct answer: Yes, both sire and dam have been tested and are certified free of the above defects. I'll be happy to give you the number of my vet so that you can call him/her and inquire about my dog's health history. I can also give you the name and phone number of the stud dog's owner so that you can get the same information on the sire of the litter. To my knowledge, there is no history of entropian or ectropian in either the dam's or the sire's bloodlines as far back as the grandparents. (NOTE: Hypothyroidism is very prevalent in the Rottweiler. In some cases, an affected dog will be bred, but only to a partner who has a normal thyroid as well as a strong genetic propensity for normal thyroid. A low thyroid animal should only be bred if he/she is an outstanding specimen in every other repect. Although it is not desirable, and we don't want to perpetuate the problem, Hypothyroidism can be inexpensively treated with drugs. On the other hand, a dog with entropian or ectropian, that is eyelids that turn inward causing the dog great pain, or outward, causing pus to constantly collect in the dog's eyes, can be corrected by surgery but at a significant expense...)
Incorrect answer: Hypothyroidism? What's that? Cataracts? Our dog can see fine, Entropi what? What is that anyway? No, I don't think our dogs have any of those things....( This "breeder" is obviously not interested in preserving the breed and may be passing on hereditary defects that may cost you hundred of dollars to remedy. He is most likely only interested in your money...definitely hang up on this one.)

5. Do both the sire and the dam have correct dentition (all of their teeth AND a scissors bite)?

Correct answer: Well, of course they do. I wouldn't breed a dog with a disqualifying fault such as missing teeth, or an undershot, overshot, or wry bite. Breeding a dog with faulty dentition will eventually ruin the head type because, you see, the teeth are actually a part of the skeletal structure. Changing the skeletal structure changes the head type. In order to preserve the correct head type, only dogs with correct dentition should be bred.

Incorrect answer: Well of all the things........We've never counted her teeth! What's that got to do with anything?! She can sure as heck still bite somebody pretty good!

Continue from above here

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses in the sire and dam? How do you feel the two bloodlines compliment each other?

Correct answer: The strengths of the dam are as follows: nice head; a dark, almond shaped eye; a good front; a nice topline and a short back. She has nice tight feet and pasterns. Her weaknesses are that, although she has a nice head, she is wet (loose skin in the throat area), her markings are a little light in color, but they are well defined. She could have more bone. She has fair movement. It isn't awful, but it could be better. She doesn't have much drive when she gaits. As far as her bloodline's weaknesses, she is an OFA fair, and 5 of the 6 puppies in her litter passed the OFA, BUT, her maternal grandmother produced 50% dyplastic puppies (half of the puppies that her grandmother had, with 3 different sires, did not pass the OFA). So, we looked for a male who had a bloodline with a history of producing normal hips. The sire we selected for her is strong in all of the areas that she is weak. He has excellent movement with good reach and drive. He has dark mahogany markings. He has a beautiful head with no wetness present. He has good bone. He comes from a dam who produced 3 litters, and 85% passed the OFA. So, I feel that he possesses a strong genetic propensity to pass on normal hips. As for his week points, he does have a round eye and his feet are not very tight. but our bitch is strong in those areas, so we haven't doubled up on any weaknesses.
Incorrect answer: Well, the dam has perfect markings. She's a little small, weighing only 80 pounds, so we picked the biggest male we could find. The sire weighs 150 pounds! He has a huge head, too! He's awesome! (Translation: I don't know a thing about responsible breeding of dogs, much less about Rottweilers and my own particular bloodlines....and I'm hoping that you don't either so that you'll buy one of these puppies.)

7. What sort of guarantee do you offer on the puppy?
For a pet puppy, we guarantee the following:
(1) We guarantee that the puppy will not develop crippling hip dysplasia.
(2) We guarantee that the puppy will not develop any crippling genetic defects. If the animal has to be destroyed due to a genetic problem like crippling hip dysplasia or blindness, deafness, etc., we will refund the entire purchase price.
(3) We guarantee that the puppy has a stable temperament and will not be excessivelly shy or aggressive (NOTE: Even some code of ethics breeders will not offer this in their contracts because temperament is influenced by environment which is the fault of the owner, not the breeder. When a dog has an unstable temperment, it is diffecult to prove the cause.)

For a show potential puppy, we guarantee all of the above in addition to the following:
(1) that the hips will pass the OFA certification after the dog is 2 years old.
(2) that the puppy will not develop any disqualifying faults according to the AKC standard for the breed which would render it incapable of being shown. If the puppy is dysplastic, or if the puppy develops a disqualifying fault, we will refund the difference in price between pet and show potential puppies upon written proof that the animal has been rendered incapable of reproducing.

Incorrect answer: Guarantee? No, we don't offer any guarantee. You pay your money and you take your chances. Or.Guarantee? Yes, we'll guarantee that the puppy will not be dyplastic. (this is too vague.Unless the guarantee specifically states that the dog's hips will pass the OFA after the dog reaches 2 years of age, it is worthless. Also, the contract should state what the breeder will offer you if the dog is dysplastic, deaf, blind, or has an unstable temperament and has to be destroyed.)

*The point we are trying to make here is that for the same price as you'd pay a puppy mill or backyard breeder, you can get a far better dog by dealing with a knowledgeable, conscientious, and ethical breeder. The ethical breeders are not likely to advertise puppies in the newspaper. His/her puppies are not difficult to sell and so he/she usually doesn't need to place an ad. He advertises in national breed club publications

Breeders who are involved with dog shows are ethical?

Pfft. Give me a break, dogs shouldn't be forced into competitions for their owners' sake. Not only that, some of them are very cruel to their dogs by cutting their tails and clipping their ears.

How can these champion breeders be ethical?

Sure, dogs may be in top-notch conditions but they also murder the puppies who are found to be "defective".

Many breeders who are involved in dog shows are usually ethical, but not all.

I can give you a few minute break, but do you know why they are having competitions? Don't you think dogs are enjoying them too? Breeders who clip ears and cut tails were required by the AKC, UKC, and FCI standard, they were not given a choice. Unless those puppies are pet quality. Do you understand the difference between pet and show quality? All pet quality puppies are not required to get a short tail and cropped ears.

Breeders who are ethical will screen out buyers and test their stocks for health problems. All dogs will have health problems and there are no "perfect dogs who are "free from genetic defects." Responsible breeders' goals are to reduce the genetic defects in their lines by test for common health problems such as progressive retinal athropy, hip/eblow dyplasias, catract, cariomyopathy, mange (demodex), Entropion (prone in great dane, cane corso, rottweiler, mastiff, and many large breeds), Hyposomatorophism (growth deficiency in maltese), von Willebrand's (in doberman),many more. If they know what they are looking for in sire/dame, they are able to avoid getting puppies with genetic defects. They study the pedigree on both parents and grand-parents. They are considered expert not an "average" breeder who just pick a pretty male to breed without need to check out the pedigree of grand parents and grand great parents.

Why are they doing that? Because they don't want to see their buyers going home be heartbroken, irresponsible breeders will not care about hearbroken buyers going home with a sick puppy. :)

No I don't think that is a wrong thing to do. I think they are doing the right thing and preserve the breed with the right standard, a better health, and a nice temperament.

Usually when you buy a puppy whether it's from the newspaper or any pet stores, it seems to me that most puppies seem to get sick when an owner buy them at first....

Like when I brought a puppy once, he had alot of ring worms in his stomach and sinus infection, and the person who sold me that puppy only told me that he has a sinus infection where hes was taken medication for it, but noticed when I first brought the puppy home, he kept having blood coming out of his stool, so that when I took him in to see a vet, and found out he had ring worms, alot alot of them, he could have died ....but vet gave me medicine for him which it helps to kill the ring worms by allowing them to come out when he goes to the bathroom, I could see it and it looks like noddles.... :shock:

Poor puppy was on medication for 6 months...

It seems that everytime I buy a pet, there's always something wrong with it....

Cane Corso said:
Many breeders who are involved in dog shows are usually ethical, but not all.

All of them are unethical as long they comply with the rules of AKC, UKC and FCI.

Breeders who clip ears and cut tails were required by the AKC, UKC, and FCI standard, they were not given a choice. Unless those puppies are pet quality. Do you understand the difference between pet and show quality? All pet quality puppies are not required to get a short tail and cropped ears.

Pet and show quality?

They're living creatures, not painted canvas.

Clipping ears and cutting tails are unethical, no matter what. It's not like getting pierced. That's the thing about dog shows, they only do it to make money regardless of how the pets are treated.

Dogs don't sign up for dog shows, the breeders do. They train the dogs to do these activities. They are basically animated objects to the breeders, not living creatures with actual feelings.

No I don't think that is a wrong thing to do. I think they are doing the right thing and preserve the breed with the right standard, a better health, and a nice temperament.

Murdering puppies just because they aren't perfect isn't wrong? Okay, let's kill all the human babies who are found to be deaf, blind or "defective". Let's also spay all the disabled and autistic children, we wouldn't want to have them having children.

Give me a break, breeders who participate in dog shows are not ethical, period. Especially when they murder a puppy because it is found to be "defective".

^Angel^ said:
Usually when you buy a puppy whether it's from the newspaper or any pet stores, it seems to me that most puppies seem to get sick when an owner buy them at first....

Like when I brought a puppy once, he had alot of ring worms in his stomach and sinus infection, and the person who sold me that puppy only told me that he has a sinus infection where hes was taken medication for it, but noticed when I first brought the puppy home, he kept having blood coming out of his stool, so that when I took him in to see a vet, and found out he had ring worms, alot alot of them, he could have died ....but vet gave me medicine for him which it helps to kill the ring worms by allowing them to come out when he goes to the bathroom, I could see it and it looks like noddles.... :shock:

Poor puppy was on medication for 6 months...

Maybe you haven't tried the reputable breeder. Next puppy you will get, hopefully will be from a reputable breeder. You will not see a sick puppy in your hand. I got two puppies from a reputable breeder and they weren't sick.

It seems that everytime I buy a pet, there's always something wrong with it....

Maybe you haven't tried the reputable breeder. Next puppy you will get, hopefully will be from a reputable breeder. You will not see a sick puppy in your hand. I got two puppies from a reputable breeder and they weren't sick.

Banjo said:
All of them are unethical as long they comply with the rules of AKC, UKC and FCI.

Pet and show quality?

No I agree.. You are missing the biggest picture here. Not all dogs should be bred and only the best one with a good sound tempearment and healthy should be allowed to breed. Do you often wonder why there are million of dogs and cats being dumped in the Humane Society or the pound? Maybe they aren't sound? Maybe they have some kinds of behavior problems? Maybe they don't get along with other dogs? Many reasons to list and who bred those dogs and cats? Simple answer here is irresponsible breeders do not give a damn about sick puppies or dogs they have produced. They are not involved in humane society nor involved in the "dog world."

Believe it or not, all reputable breeders demand buyers to return their dogs back if they are no longer being wanted. They are breeding a litter and will be responisble for each puppy for rest of their lives. They are responisble to place them in a good suitable home. Also, they are rescuing dogs from the street too! They are a volunteer in rescue breed organization and they will find a better home unwanted dogs off the street and retrain them. This is a good example of a reputable breeder. If breeders aren't doing this, they are not reputable. You have no idea what it is like once you are inside the dog world that do dog shows, and many other hobbies. Like search and rescue, etc

This is a contract of Leilani's sale on her puppies. I know this woman and she lives in California. (read closely and carefully on the health, ownership terms, and right of possession).

http://www.californiacanecorso.com/user/Sample Purchase Agreement and Guarantee.PDF

Clipping ears and cutting tails are unethical, no matter what. It's not like getting pierced. That's the thing about dog shows, they only do it to make money regardless of how the pets are treated.

That is fine, it is your opinion. I thought it goes same as those people who need a plastic surgery on their faces too. There are people who want to look like you!

Actually, it is the irresponsible breeders who are interested to make money not the reputable breeders. Reputable breeder have spent more than a thousand dollars on conformation shows, schutzund trials, traveling, health testing ( can be very expensive to test for CERF, OFA, SAS, many others), etc. That add up more budget than selling a puppy. I dare you go to any dog shows or agilities, ask a breeder and see how much does he or she spent on 1 or two dogs for training, health testing, many other things. They spent alot of money on improving their dogs. What do local breeders do to their dogs? Who would want to spend a thousand on 1 dog for a health test, conformation, training, etc? They may sell for $400.00 each for sick and unsounded puppies.

Dogs don't sign up for dog shows, the breeders do. They train the dogs to do these activities. They are basically animated objects to the breeders, not living creatures with actual feelings.

Haha, have you been to agility, obedience, schutzund, search and rescue, herding, and many other activies and watch how those dogs having a good time with their owners? In fact, when you work with your dog, your dog teaches you many things than you ever know. And the bond between the dog and you will get closer than ever!

Murdering puppies just because they aren't perfect isn't wrong? Okay, let's kill all the human babies who are found to be deaf, blind or "defective". Let's also spay all the disabled and autistic children, we wouldn't want to have them having children.

Reputable breeders do not kill their puppies because something is not wrong with their conformation. In fact, those puppies who had to be put down will not have a good quality of life if they are suffering some kinds of health problems. Example Lelaini had to put Arielle down because she has a neurological problems in the rear. Arielle had a hard time controling her bladder and stools are being stuck inside. If Lelani decided to keep Arielle living to this day, Arielle will have to go to the vet every week to remove stools inside her anal tube.Will that be fair for Arielle to live and breath when she is suffering a problem like spinobifida? No it will be unfair to her so sometimes put a puppy down is a better option. Why is breeder doing this? They are preventing from owner to develop the attachement on the puppy because one day the puppy will have no choice but put down. The owner will not have to go through the grief of losing a puppy. If Lelaini was an irresponsible breeder, she would have sold that puppy a long time ago. It will cost the owner a thousand dollars to keep Arielle living and carrying the burden.

Last edited:
Banjo said:

Pet and show quality?

Give me a break, breeders who participate in dog shows are not ethical, period. Especially when they murder a puppy because it is found to be "defective".

:gpost: I agree 100% with Banjo here....puppies and dogs have feelings and they are living creatures. I think it's cruel that the breeders want to murder puppies just because they are not perfect.

Nancy said:
:gpost: I agree 100% with Banjo here....puppies and dogs have feelings and they are living creatures. I think it's cruel that the breeders want to murder puppies just because they are not perfect.

Do you rather to buy a puppy from a breeder who knew it has a problem and didn't tell you until you went to the vet. And found out that here's nothing you can do to help your sick puppy but have to euthanize him or her? Wouldn't you want to spent $3,000.00 on a surgery and later found out that puppy has a serious medical condition. Wouldn't that be better if the breeder did it on its own part and not to sell you that puppy? You had no choice but to euthanize your own puppy. Wouldn't that make you angry and sad to lose a puppy like that because your breeder who did not care? Do you want to buy a puppy from a good breeder who is willing to help you with the finance aid on the surgery? Do you want another family go through the hell too? Good breeders don't kill their puppies just because they aren't perfect. They did that because they want to save owner a lot of money, time, attachment, and grief.

I am here to educate the public not to encourage the "murder" practices like you all assume!

Here is Arielle a 5 weeks old puppy who was put down
http://www.californiacanecorso.com/Ariella.html

Last edited:
Cane Corso said:
Seri,

Thanks, I m glad that you agreed to it.

It's very rare to find someone as informed and educated as you are on this topic. I own a grooming shop and boarding kennel and so many of my clients are so uneducated about ethical breeding that I think only a very very small percent of my client have ever had the joy of owning a healthy, ethically bred dog. I only support ethical breeding and its a very hot topic for me so I usually don't comment at all but I had to give you Kudos. Hopefully someone learned something.

Back