BrnKthStcy's Intro

BrnKthStcy

Reaction score
Hello, all!

My name is Brian Stacy and I am a 23-year-old male who is enrolled at Mountain State University in West Virginia in the Legal Studies Online program (Bachelor's Degree) and will begin classes 15 February 2010. I hope to become a Certified Paralegal.

I am also engaged to be married on April 16, 2010 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Washington DC Temple in Kensington, Maryland.

I am partially deaf and wear a hearing aid in my right ear. I was diagnosed with Bacterial Meningitis when I was three years old. I was mainstreamed and always taught that I was normal and to use my oral skills and was not really taught much about ASL or Deaf Culture. Hopefully that will change soon.

Hello, all!

My name is Brian Stacy and I am a 23-year-old male who is enrolled at Mountain State University in West Virginia in the Legal Studies Online program (Bachelor's Degree) and will begin classes 15 February 2010. I hope to become a Certified Paralegal.

I am also engaged to be married on April 16, 2010 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Washington DC Temple in Kensington, Maryland.

I am partially deaf and wear a hearing aid in my right ear. I was diagnosed with Bacterial Meningitis when I was three years old. I was mainstreamed and always taught that I was normal and to use my oral skills and was not really taught much about ASL or Deaf Culture. Hopefully that will change soon.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Er, I have put a bold on your word taught which you mean Thought or thinking. :hmm: Taught is the word for teach with the past tense. Every one make mistake when it come to misspelling, even me. So I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AD...MD has one of the largest Deaf communities. I live here in MD. :)

Thanks, Simown, ~SG~, Bebonang, and shel90!

Bebonang, no I meant taught in both places. I truly wasn't very informed of the Deaf Community or Deaf Culture growing up. Matter of fact, my audiologist from when I was a kid told my parents there was no need to learn sign language, that they should just enroll me in a public and deaf preschool and then from there mainstream me. Even though I had a HoH class that I attended until third grade, they taught me on an oral level.

shel90, I figured that much. My fiancee found a deaf ward that is close by the Temple, not too far, that we will attend the Sunday after our wedding. Can't remember the name of the town though.

Bebonang, no I meant taught in both places. I truly wasn't very informed of the Deaf Community or Deaf Culture growing up. Matter of fact, my audiologist from when I was a kid told my parents there was no need to learn sign language, that they should just enroll me in a public and deaf preschool and then from there mainstream me. Even though I had a HoH class that I attended until third grade, they taught me on an oral level.

shel90, I figured that much. My fiancee found a deaf ward that is close by the Temple, not too far, that we will attend the Sunday after our wedding. Can't remember the name of the town though.

Okay, I misunderstood what you are writing. So I see that you have been taught to think that you are normal, must used oral skills and that you were not taught about ASL and Deaf Culture. I get it. :ty: :cool2:

Okay, I misunderstood what you are writing. So I see that you have been taught to think that you are normal, must used oral skills and that you were not taught about ASL and Deaf Culture. I get it.

Yep, that's what I meant. ;)

You arent the only one. I was born with a bilateral profound deafness but the doctors told my mom not to expose me to sign language if she wants me to be "normal" so I grew up oral and mainstreamed. I started to learn ASL at 25 years old and now it is my primary language and I am very involved with the Deaf community. Never went back to my old upbringing.

Back