Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck

For instance?

Trying to get me into trouble, here!:lol:

For instance, the inability to apply concepts from sociology or anthropolgy or psychology to Deaf culture.

I am thinking specifically, right now, of the inability to see the connections between Nazi philosophies and eugenics as applied to the Deaf, and the unability to apply developmental psychology to the development of a Deaf identity.

Trying to get me into trouble, here!:lol:

For instance, the inability to apply concepts from sociology or anthropolgy or psychology to Deaf culture.

I am thinking specifically, right now, of the inability to see the connections between Nazi philosophies and eugenics as applied to the Deaf, and the unability to apply developmental psychology to the development of a Deaf identity.

Ah-a, gotcha! :lol:

Yes, I know what you are referring to. Although I often try to steer clear of Godwin's Law, but sometimes we have to say it.

If people did a little more reading, they would be able to see the connections between so many things that they deny currently. I find it very frustrating that so many people are unable to see things from a cross cultural and fluid perspective. And they seem to be very vocal in their ignorance.

Please, people. READ. THINK.

I do see the harry potter books as a parallel to the deaf life. People are afraid of witches/warlocks so the witches/warlocks have to keep it low profile. Some people think it is cool to be a witch or warlock. The witches/warlocks attend a school of their own kind just like some of us attended a school for the deaf.

Do tell us what books you are talking about so I can check them out once you are back on AD.

Banjo, I will check out the Wonderstruck. Thanks for the head up.

Banjo,
thank you for this thread. I just ordered Wonderstruck from Amazon.

It'll be here Sat. and waiting for me to get home from camp. Can't wait to read it.

:ty:

I do see the harry potter books as a parallel to the deaf life. People are afraid of witches/warlocks so the witches/warlocks have to keep it low profile. Some people think it is cool to be a witch or warlock. The witches/warlocks attend a school of their own kind just like some of us attended a school for the deaf.

You know what? A friend gave out this link at FaceBook. I am not the only one who see the parallels. Understanding Harry Potter: Parallels to the Deaf World

Back