books for hearing parents

d508dq

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a book for friends of mine (hearing parents of a severely HOH child), to help them consider another perspective on their son's deafness. They don't have much contact with the Deaf community. They don't encourage their son to sign at all. I am looking for a book which will encourage them to open up to the possibilities of signing and the Deaf community.

A book by a Deaf or HOH author would be best. Maybe something which recounts the frustrations of being prevented from signing? The difficulties of being the only deaf child in a hearing family? About Cultural Deafness, rather than deafness as a disability?

Thanks in advance,
S

Three recommendations

I recently graduated from an ASL/interpreting program and three books come to mind. They are "For Hearing People Only" which is a primer about several topics, "Deaf in America" describes American Deaf culture, and "Man Without Words" is about a wild Deaf child who is adopted and taught Sign. This helps him communicate clearly for the first time in his life. I don't know the authors' names and I'm using a PC at the library. Hope this helps.

Back