Blind Courage clip/book

heartwheel

Reaction score
This clip shows events from the book I'm reading right now, called "Blind Courage" about a blind man, Bill Irwin, who hikes the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine with his German Sheperd guide dog, Orient. I'm just love adventure true stories, the book has humor too. Like the time an officer almost gave him a ticket because he was walking down the road with his hat pulled down oover his eyes in the cold weahter to protect his eyes. The officer said he was drawing so much attention he was going to cause an accident. Right now I'm at the part in the book where he tells about refusing to leave restaurants and waiting for the police to show up, you get a good satisfaction of justice.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nmimgCTJI]YouTube - Blind Courage - Bill Irwin[/ame]

Opening Title: Achieving the Impossible

We see Bill standing in front of mile high Mount Katahdin

Bill speaking: "Basically, I have light perception which means I can perceive light from a pretty bright source, like the sun and when I look at something even if it's dark I see lights but primarily because there's been a lot of damage to the retina from treatment. Every place the laser hit, I see a light. So it translates to thousands of lights, green and yellow and blue and white, so that pretty much obliterates any image that could be there, if that weren't there."

We are shown an image that depicts this so we can try to imagine.

We see Bill in his rain jacket, heavy back pack, styrofoam bedroll, shorts, knee pads, and cane holding his dog's Orient's ...........? guide bar, lead? It's foggy, wooded, he's climbing over boulders that vary from knee height to hip height. It's actually a river bed, there's water streaming down between the rocks. A giant glacier rock that stands over six feet is painted with the "3 M. <----" an arrow pointing to where his next stop on the trail, I'm guessing. He continues up the river bed, struggling over the slippery rocks with teh stream that runs through them. The rocks are so big it only makes sense to crawl on your hands and knees over them. We see Orient is off his leash and over in the background to his side, some 10 or or feet away. Big trees are fallen around, like a natural forest would be. They cross a stream and Orient slips and slides on a boulder but makes and then waits for Bill. In the next frame, the river bed is dense with fog and there are rocks everwhere with a river running through them. He makes it to a flat earthy trail rich with plant life, ferns and trees to each side.
A tree that is fallen, probably a foot in diameter comes up almost to his waist and blocks his and Orient's path. Orient jumps up and lays with his belly directly on the tree, waiting for Bill to get himself over. Orient is carrying packs of his own on each side. Bill comes to another wide stream, river with trees blocking his path. He gets over the tree and using his can makes his way across the rushing stream with rocks and boulders. His hands have thick mittens on, hes on the trail again but a rock twists his ankle and his balance is shaken while holding Orient and his cane. A photograph of Bill smiling at the top of Mount Katahdin in the fog with Orient. Bill kisses the sign that says "Katahdin" Orient puzzles over the sense of this 8 month trip to kiss a piece of wood (just kidding). Ends with a distant full view of Mount Katahdin with some snow at the top.

Back