binaural hearing aids

Your post didn't say if you were still in college or not, but if you are, do you have the ability to get VR help? If so, they will likely cover the costs of HAs for you. Even if you are out of college, if by any chance you are unemployed or under-employed, you could still potentially qualify for VR benefits. Check with your state. (Of course, I'm assuming you are based in the US.)

Sorry about the derail. Voc rehab counselors are usually aware about the negative long-term effects of a mono hearing aid compromise, and would not use such a cost-cutting measure. You may get cheap ones, but not to the detriment of your long-term well-being.

I'm not sure I understand your post. I got a new HA through my VR counselor. I got a top-of-the-line HA. It was not cheap (over $2k for them.)

Binaural hearing allows a quality of "spaciousness" or "high fidelity" to sounds, which cannot occur with monaural (one ear) listening. Understanding speech clearly, particularly in challenging and noisy situations, is much easier while using both ears. Additionally, using two hearing aids allows people to speak to you from either side of your head not just your "good" side!

That wasn't true in my case. The sound was so distorted in my right ear that I could not make sense of the sound so I stopped using HAs for my right ear when I was 14.

An improved binaural hearing aid system comprises two complete electronic hearing aids, one for each ear of the user, with the hearing aid for the dominant ear having an emphasized high frequency response relative to that of the other hearing aid. Preferably, ear molds are provided for occluding ambient sounds from direct access to the ears. The system provides materially enhanced hearing response, and specifically substantially improved speech discrimination, in high ambient noise environments for individuals with substantially balanced or symmetrical hearing losses, a group representing about 85% of those with correctable hearing impairment.

auditory deprivation and correction?

This is an old(ish) thread but I thought I'd chime in: I'm 45 and up until a few years ago was still using a single analogue Phonak aid in the right ear. My understanding is that my left ear was much better in high frequencies as a child, and I could not tolerate the amplification in my left, and .... yeah. I'm ski slope, severe-profound in the right, and with loss over time am now moderate-profound in the left.

I've never really had a particular desire for high-tech HAs, except that my current academic job made it desirable to improve speech recognition when my interpreter isn't present, and it was time to enter the 21st century.

I am currently using Rexton Targa Pluses, which were what my insurance covered. I got two, but could not get used to it in the left, previously unaided ear. Barrel effect, occlusion, screechy sounds, sensitivity that leaves me reeling in pain unless it's turned all the way down, and the sense that I "feel" but cannot "hear" sounds -- basically, my brain is confused, ala auditory deprivation.

I am saving up for Naidas this spring, and am once again trying to wear the left Rexton a little everyday to see if I can adapt a bit. I'm cautiously optimistic that with the Naidas I might even be able to get a non-occlusion mold or dome for the left and the programming can privilege my right until my left adapts.

I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience, either personally or with clients: mononaural (sp?) HA with a switch to binaural digitals in adulthood that actually worked?

KD

I'm just like deafkd since my high frequencies loss would be called ski slope but it can be like you're skiing on a slope LOL!!!
tried monaural with 1 hearing aid off (especially when that battery's low) works well with FM in 1 ear and 1 hearing aid switched off :)
dude, same here before I got my new Oticons. as you said about your Targas, same thing with my old Oticons which did not have a volume switch!

Back