Bill Would Ban Drone Strikes Against U.S. Citizens

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON -- There's one measure that quietly passed in the House along with Friday's massive defense bill that libertarians may like: a ban on drone strikes against U.S. citizens.

The idea that the United States military could target citizens with Hellfire missiles from an unmanned aerial vehicle caught prominence when Sen. Rand Paul held an epic 13-hour filibuster demanding to know whether the Obama administration thought it had the authority to carry out such a strike.

Attorney General Eric Holder eventually answered "no," the administration does not, as long as the person is not actively engaged in combat against the United States.

Still, many members of Congress did not want to take Holder at his word, and a ban, authored by Georgia GOP Rep. Paul Broun, was slipped into the National Defense Authorization Act among a block of amendments approved only on a voice vote.

The amendment says the "Department of Defense may not use a drone to kill a citizen of the United States," except in the same case Holder noted.

"The prohibition ... shall not apply to an individual who is actively engaged in combat against the United States."

“I reluctantly supported the NDAA because it is critical that we provide for our national defense and give our men and women in uniform the resources they need," said Broun. "However, I am deeply concerned that the bill doesn’t go far enough to protect U.S. citizens from government overreach, and I plan to continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to ensure that Americans’ rights are protected."

The Senate is now working on its own version of the bill.

Broun and many others are concerned about the way the administration has been using the 2001 Authorization to Use Military Force -- the AUMF -- that was passed after the 9/11 attacks to allow the government to pursue al Qaeda and its allies, and to invade Afghanistan.

The AUMF underpins the practice of targeted killings with drones, and well as the detention of terror suspects.

Broun and several other lawmakers on both sides of the aisle had tried to add a provision to the act to end the AUMF, but none secured a vote.

“I am disappointed that an amendment I cosponsored to sunset the Authorization for Use of Military Force -– a bipartisan effort with Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California –- was not included. The AUMF is the root of some of the most egregious overreaches of the federal government, including warrantless surveillance, indefinite detention, and extra-judicial killing operations, Broun said.

“The AUMF, as utilized by our federal government, is an affront to our liberty and it must go. If additional war authorizations are needed, they should be narrow and clear -- as our Founders intended.”

Michael McAuliff covers Congress and politics for The Huffington Post. Talk to him on Facebook.

Bill Would Ban Drone Strikes Against U.S. Citizens

Good bye to tyranny.

Well, America Citizens betrayed us who joined Al-Qadea terrorist.

doesn't matter.

then it would means Ted Kaczynski would get bombed by a drone without due process.

Are you enjoying drone spy around your apartment?

Homeland security has unarmed drone flew around U.S./Mexico border line for drug smuggles.

I don't mind drone eyes on my home. I don't hide nothing.

homeland.jpg

Homeland security has unarmed drone flew around U.S./Mexico border line for drug smuggles.

I don't mind drone eyes on my home. I don't hide nothing.

Are you fine with NSA and PRISM spying on you?

I think I have a better idea. How about a ban on drone attacks against INNOCENT people?

So, what's about you? sue NSA for peer from your door while you take shower? pssh

peep+hole.jpg

True judge will find NSA spying as unconstitutional.

I can't defend myself in California - damn to Feinstein but... I hopefully she magically save my life. :lol:

With the sort of weapons being smuggled here? (Try police 9mm vs terrorist automatic and guided missile weapons!) If the future is this unpredictable, then I disagree! Nothing like a good deterrent than a Hellfire armed drone!

With the sort of weapons being smuggled here? (Try police 9mm vs terrorist automatic and guided missile weapons!) If the future is this unpredictable, then I disagree! Nothing like a good deterrent than a Hellfire armed drone!

:laugh2: i don't know if you've noticed but the police these days are millitarized. They have full body armor, full auto rifles, armored vehichles, helecopters, ect.

I don't mind.. They can spying on my Sexting... pssh

Why are people so eager to give up their rights?

There are real psychological effects of being monitored
Maybe surveillance is bad, after all | Threat Level | Wired.com

"An analogy might be the well-studied population of children with overprotective mothers, the philosopher said. Studies show that such children tend to be indecisive, dependent on others, have little "ethical competence," and often live suppressed and unhappy lives."

As well as moral issues. If monitoring citizens does not require a court order, then the government can decide to do so without any oversight and that leads to unchecked authority.

Why are people so eager to give up their rights?

There are real psychological effects of being monitored
Maybe surveillance is bad, after all | Threat Level | Wired.com

"An analogy might be the well-studied population of children with overprotective mothers, the philosopher said. Studies show that such children tend to be indecisive, dependent on others, have little "ethical competence," and often live suppressed and unhappy lives."

As well as moral issues. If monitoring citizens does not require a court order, then the government can decide to do so without any oversight and that leads to unchecked authority.
Nobody said that except you.

Without NSA and PRISM, how could we catch terrorists?

Nobody said that except you.

Without NSA and PRISM, how could we catch terrorists?

Anyone who says they don't mind being spied on like Evo just did is saying exactly that. I never said to get rid of the nsa. As far as catching terrorist i'm not willing to give up my rights to do it. Some thing are worth dieing for.

Anyone who says they don't mind being spied on like Evo just did is saying exactly that. I never said to get rid of the nsa. As far as catching terrorist i'm not willing to give up my rights to do it. Some thing are worth dieing for.
Are you a terrorist? If not, then you have nothing to worry about. They are not interested in your shit.

Back