Bill Cosby's comments...

Megladon said:
Its the official language, i dont think there is enough french speaking people to justify adding french. Spanish is entirely different. Most of the spanish only speaking people are in this country illegaly, kick them out and the need for adding spanish to the list is gone. If there were more deaf people then asl could be an "official" language, but i think more people speak french then know asl so its not likely to happen, but while its not likely to be an "official" language of the country, its still a widly used and accepted form of sign for the country, so does it really need to be on the "official" list?

Some Spanish speakers are here legally, especially from Puetro Rico, which is an American possession. I don't think that it matters whether if the number is too small. Look at Switzerland, for example. They have four official languages. Yet, not many people speak Romantisch. They do speak German, French and Italian though, as they learn it in school. My Belgian friend grew up in Belgium, which has two official languages, and she speaks both languages (French and Dutch).

As for sign languages, it has been recognised as official sign language of several countries already (Czech Republic and England, for example). It is already recognised as language in several states in the United States, especially in Utah. Many public schools in Utah teach American Sign Language. I'm always taken aback when I go to stores or restaurants, only to find out that the salesperson or waiter knows sign language. Having it made official establishes that we have the right to that language in our lives. It would strengthen the need for interpreters.

A lot of government documents are already printed in Spanish anyway, and my public school in New Jersey, always printed bilingual information flyers. I don't understand why the resistance for Spanish becoming a second official language. We need to learn other languages, and it actually will enrichen our knowledge of the English language. Before learning German, I didn't really have a good command of English, but after I learned about German and its grammar rules, comparing etc... I really learned so much. Also, learning French, it helped me see where the English words came from. I think it's a pity when people refuse to learn a second language.

Before learning German, I didn't really have a good command of English, but after I learned about German and its grammar rules, comparing etc... I really learned so much. Also, learning French, it helped me see where the English words came from.
That's b/c English is a Gemanic language. I also like figuring out how words are related in different languages. (I know Latin and French and am learning ASL slowly but surely and will learn Slovak this summer when my cousin comes to visit!)

Back