best way to learn ASl language

marwanekt

Reaction score
hi
i'm Marwan from lebanon , i need to know how to learn the basics of ASL ( sign language )
best regards
thanks in advanced :wave:

Immersion into the deaf world. Be with ASL-only users all the time.

hi
i'm Marwan from lebanon , i need to know how to learn the basics of ASL ( sign language )
best regards
thanks in advanced :wave:

ASL is used in Lebanon? Do you already know Lebanese Sign Language?

Just curious -- how does this online ASL dictionary compare for accuracy to Signing Savvy?

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Does one tend to be better than the other?

I've primarily been using Bill Vicar's site for both lessons and his online dictionary (Alex's first link) because its so well regarded by many of the experienced signers on this forum -- but sometimes I need another dictionary!

I've primarily been using Bill Vicar's site for both lessons and his online dictionary (Alex's first link) because its so well regarded by many of the experienced signers on this forum -- but sometimes I need another dictionary!

I personally use LifePrint as #1. But the vocabulary is limited, so SigningSavvy is my #2.

I personally use LifePrint as #1. But the vocabulary is limited, so SigningSavvy is my #2.

I have issues now with signing savvy. Mainly, I still can't read the ASL fast enough and so the videos are too fast for me.

I hit repeat a lot! I sign along to help my hands remember.

Well, I'll check out the Signing Savvy a little more often then. I do like ASL Pro though -- its easy to control how fast the video moves so I can see how to make the sign better. The image has a slide that is controled by the mouse. Some of their signs are very different than what's on Lifeprint (Bill Vicar's) though. My guess is that ASL, like any other language, has a lot of synonyms. {shrug}

GOT IDEA FOR YOU USE THE HAND DEVICE transcribing words TO SIGN IT. my bad bad bad bad bad bad.

Frisky, I love your cartoon :) -- but I think you meant to post it in the "artificial voice" thread.

I went through lifeprint pretty fast. I agree about not having a big vocabulary. But signing savvy is my new favorite as well. But I just picked up those signing naturally workbooks and dvds and those are already priving to be really helpful.

I am fast to sign language :) I am skill level on good ASL fast to ASL video :)

I am role on ASL on manager experience pretty study :) I am very good ASL!

Just curious -- how does this online ASL dictionary compare for accuracy to Signing Savvy?

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Does one tend to be better than the other?

Both sites are good but think Bill's is best. Problem with other two sites, particularly Sign Savvy, is they do not limit the dictionary to ASL. What I mean is instead of showing the sign for specific ASL word they use same sign for multiple words so a person would not know which is the 'original' sign. For example, 'over' is ASL sign but on Sign Savvy you can look at 'over' or 'after' or 'across' and they all same sign. Why not teach ASL? Seem Sign Savvy translate to English as opposed to ASL. Hard to explain.

ASL pro is good for conversation but also find too many words that not relevant to ASL which make it seem more English.

Both sites are good but think Bill's is best. Problem with other two sites, particularly Sign Savvy, is they do not limit the dictionary to ASL. What I mean is instead of showing the sign for specific ASL word they use same sign for multiple words so a person would not know which is the 'original' sign. For example, 'over' is ASL sign but on Sign Savvy you can look at 'over' or 'after' or 'across' and they all same sign. Why not teach ASL? Seem Sign Savvy translate to English as opposed to ASL. Hard to explain.

ASL pro is good for conversation but also find too many words that not relevant to ASL which make it seem more English.

Thanks Rebecca. I'm sorry there isn't another accurate and free ASL web site in addition to Bill Vicar's -- but its good to be warned. I'm interested in learning ASL, not SEE. If I understand you correctly Sign Savvy and ASL Pro include some SEE signs. Not good.

I do have a couple of ASL dictionaries -- the old fashioned kind in books. Maybe I'll start using those more even though I prefer seeing how to make signs on video. Its so much easier to learn them that way.

Thanks Rebecca. I'm sorry there isn't another accurate and free ASL web site in addition to Bill Vicar's -- but its good to be warned. I'm interested in learning ASL, not SEE. If I understand you correctly Sign Savvy and ASL Pro include some SEE signs. Not good.

I do have a couple of ASL dictionaries -- the old fashioned kind in books. Maybe I'll start using those more even though I prefer seeing how to make signs on video. Its so much easier to learn them that way.

Exactly. They both show SEE words which just English and not helpful if learning ASL. ASL /= English. Good sites but best to use Bill ASL site first to see if that word exist in ASL. If it do not show on his site try to think of another way to say that word and look for that word on his site. Keep trying until find proper ASL word. I always have Merriam-Webster open to translate words (ie: synonyms) when confused. :giggle:

Then, once you find ASL word go to other two sites to see their variation of same word. Sign Savvy *very* helpful when find right ASL word because keep replaying sign over and over so repetition helpful. For me anyhow.

I am experience ASL/ESL I am 8 yrs 8 i am frustrated I was 8 yrs 5/ not sure I was very screw up on ESL

I hires on interpreter lucky fAST TO teach me quick to pretty i frustrated I am screw up on barries on communication I tried on fail on English not work understand impossible, I notice to people deaf many people deaf Saskatoon school

transfer school want to ASL I have learn it Interpeter awesome I am shocked happy I fast to quick role on my good on skills level increase learn it social on ASL

It is very difficult not easy! I know not easy I know English is very complication

ASL is very empowerful

than ESL is very weak I let know you!

Back