Best Martial Arts Style for people with LVAS?

wizardofozzz

Reaction score
What would be the best martial arts style for someone with LVAS (a condition which a bump to the head can result in further hearing loss)? I don't want to keep him in a bubble, but perhaps there are some forms of martial arts that would be less risky?

What would be the best martial arts style for someone with LVAS (a condition which a bump to the head can result in further hearing loss)? I don't want to keep him in a bubble, but perhaps there are some forms of martial arts that would be less risky?

It depends on where you are. There may be classes that offer self defense for the deaf in your area. I know Chicago does, so try checking for those.

I'm really looking for martial arts training for a five year old boy. I'd like him to learn respect, boundaries, etc... Not just self defense.

I'm really looking for martial arts training for a five year old boy. I'd like him to learn respect, boundaries, etc... Not just self defense.

Hmm. Respect and boundaries..... I think Kung Fu does that? No idea, really.

My daughter took Tae Kwon Do, she is a Black Belt, getting ready to take Akido and jujitsu as well. I have taken various MA's and have skills of MMA as I used to train with a friend of mine who was MMA. Tai Chis is slow and relaxing, but if you get deep into it, it can be full contact as well. I knew a Korean whom was an elder gentleman at work who introduced me to Tai Chi, he was funny about it, but really caught me off guard with it. He was old, but he very easily put me on the floor and I was in my late 20's and very strong.... he tossed me around like a rag doll. Respect to Tai Chi...lol

Hmm. Respect and boundaries..... I think Kung Fu does that? No idea, really.

all martial arts teach that as rule #1....

just avoid the one that doesn't... like ninja

all martial arts teach that as rule #1....

just avoid the one that doesn't... like ninja

Ninja= get the s*** beat out of you. That's not my style. I never did like ninja, anyhow.

Ninja= get the s*** beat out of you. That's not my style. I never did like ninja, anyhow.

ninja does not beat up people... ninja assassinates people :shock:

but the only ninjas who beat up people are TMNT

That's the reason why I don't like ninjas. They have no mercy.

don't worry about ninjas. you are of no value to them anyway. the only merciless people who you shouldn't like are thieves and punks on knockout-game.

don't worry about ninjas. you are of no value to them anyway. the only merciless people who you shouldn't like are thieves and punks on knockout-game.

Oh, yeah. I wouldn't want to go tussling with those guys.

My daughter took Tae Kwon Do, she is a Black Belt, getting ready to take Akido and jujitsu as well. I have taken various MA's and have skills of MMA as I used to train with a friend of mine who was MMA. Tai Chis is slow and relaxing, but if you get deep into it, it can be full contact as well. I knew a Korean whom was an elder gentleman at work who introduced me to Tai Chi, he was funny about it, but really caught me off guard with it. He was old, but he very easily put me on the floor and I was in my late 20's and very strong.... he tossed me around like a rag doll. Respect to Tai Chi...lol

Tae Kwon Do....all 3 of my boys took it....good way to get fit.

You live in DFW full of martial art schools. If I were you, I'd talk to those masters directly, and tell them about my injuries. Some of those masters have no knowledge on injuries, so be very careful. I speak from experience. You gotta find the right instructor you feel comfortable with.

We went to watch the instructor's class (tae kwon do) in Dallas. The guy I think is a bit arrogant, and knows all about pressure points and break necks. He pulled a pressure point on me, but I'm not interested in that. I asked him about my concerns, but he gave me the vague answers that I didn't want to hear. I felt I was very uneasy about his class. Actually, he is a former US marshal and once studied under Chuck Norris.

What about Aikado? I feel very comfortable with it and it works for me, because I don't have to worry about injure myself. You can try North Texas Aikido in Allen, Texas. For tryout, it's free if you go there for the first time. Bring your own uniform with you. North Texas Aikado is a bit different because they make sure you remember the moves. Some schools usually teach too many moves at once, and you forget some of them. I hate it. The school is huge and pretty. It was just built a few years ago.

Hi Wizardofozzz

I would caution against Taekwondo in this instance. Unless you can find a school that will allow the student to advance without sparring. Granted, students wear protective gear and a helmet is part of it, but Taekwondo is full contact sport and points are awarded for strikes (kicks) to the head and body.

Having also taught Kenpo Karate, there is more focus on self defense techniques and the schools I worked with didn't encourage children to strike to the head . Strikes are typically lower, (to the body and legs) and there are wrist locks and arm bars. Sparring isn't always necessary, and technique is practiced with a partner who should stop short of making contact .

Hope this helps.
Stutter

Hi Wizardofozzz

I would caution against Taekwondo in this instance. Unless you can find a school that will allow the student to advance without sparring. Granted, students wear protective gear and a helmet is part of it, but Taekwondo is full contact sport and points are awarded for strikes (kicks) to the head and body.

Having also taught Kenpo Karate, there is more focus on self defense techniques and the schools I worked with didn't encourage children to strike to the head . Strikes are typically lower, (to the body and legs) and there are wrist locks and arm bars. Sparring isn't always necessary, and technique is practiced with a partner who should stop short of making contact .

Hope this helps.
Stutter

Not all that is true. My daughters school didnt allow contack with the head at all at the school and during testing. they did prctice on dummies. Now when they did competitions, yes it was full contact ( all wore head/chest/hand and leg pads.

No contact sport whatsoever. Any contact sport has risk of getting hit on the head. Even golf risk hit on head w stray golf ball or club.

I just know alot of karate involves contact.

The only sport I think of is yoga or bowling.

Back