Being deaf is

As a deaf person I would not "offense" at someone correcting my "grammar" on a computer discussion.I don't claim to be "infallible".

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I have to agree with Jillio. I don't know if it is proper for me to learn how to write proper sentences. I have tried many times over to write the proper crafts of making the sentences meaningful and understandable. My mother tried to made me learned grammar and I found that it was hard if I can not find a job working in the office or want to become a writer whether in the newspaper or magazine. My mother made me felt small and not important as a Deaf person. She does look like she had superior control over me just do what she want me to do. I guess as long as Beach Girl not offend someone because of their incorrect writing, then I guess it is okay with some deafies, but not okay with other deafies like me. Just give you my insight on the writing skills. Sorry. :(

As a deaf person I would not "offense" at someone correcting my "grammar" on a computer discussion.I don't claim to be "infallible".

So you didn't grow up having your speech and grammar constantly corrected every day? It kinda gets old after a while.

Being Deaf is a psychological condition resulting from a potentially curable physical disorder.

DeafCaroline: I was not "deaf or had a hearing loss/impaired" growing up. Thus "grammar correction" as such was effected only in school classes- as I recall.Hearing loss then deafness happened later in my life.

sailerboy:a "psychological condition resulting from a potentially curable physical disorder".
To the best of my knowledge hearing problems are not curable at the present time. Hearing Aids/Cochlear Implants ONLY "assist-somewhat"- in dealing with the ohysical condition. The psychological reaction as such is based on one's reaction on how one deal's with the condition. Denial/use a Hearing Aid/Learn ASL/Cochlear Implant -if suitable. Your choice in the end.

Fine, then let Beach Girl correct you to her heart's content. There are those of us who have had enough of being corrected due to our experiences dealing with that growing up.

I've asked close friends correct me on the spot any mispronunciations I make. Of course, that definitely does not include those who are apt to say, "Hey, you ain't say that right!"

I've asked close friends correct me on the spot any mispronunciations I make. Of course, that definitely does not include those who are apt to say, "Hey, you ain't say that right!"

:laugh2:

From one of my good friends but I helped him by edited his grammar.Here.

But I'm kinda of sad that seems only a few friends of mine clicked "likes" on my status... :(

Karissa first said this. By the fact that SHE wanted to help her friend by editing his grammar, I assumed she would also be open to it herself, especially since she was sad about not getting many likes.

If you read the whole string of posts, Karissa and I are friends again. Had an issue, worked it out, no problem.

So, Jillio and DC, it would be nice if you would quit the "let's you and him fight" attitude. K and I have no problem with each other.

You are not Deaf. Big difference. :roll:

Karissa first said this. By the fact that SHE wanted to help her friend by editing his grammar, I assumed she would also be open to it herself, especially since she was sad about not getting many likes.

If you read the whole string of posts, Karissa and I are friends again. Had an issue, worked it out, no problem.

So, Jillio and DC, it would be nice if you would quit the "let's you and him fight" attitude. K and I have no problem with each other.

Karrissa helped another deaf individual. Very different situation.

Karrissa is a very polite, non-confrontational person. You are simply reaping the benefit of that. I wouldn't try it with any other Deaf in this forum, unless you want to be told exactly what is thought of your patronizing attitude.

When Karrissa wants help, Karrissa asks for help, through PM. You just stepped up and assumed that she would be oh, so, grateful for this formerly hearing person's advanced knowledge of the English language. Patronizing and insulting.

Go ahead with your superior attitude. It won't get you far. Perhaps instead of all the school marm corrections, you should sit back and learn some things from this forum that you are obviously ignorant about.

Guys, I appreciate for stand up but there is no need to argue because we are already moved on. Beach Girl and I did make a solution by ourselves.

By the way, it is Karissa. Ka - rissa. :)

I was addressing drphil, not you. I know you're late-deafened and as such, was not aware that those of us who grew up deaf are not fond of being corrected when we didn't ask for it.

Guys, I appreciate for stand up but there is no need to argue because we are already moved on. Beach Girl and I did make a solution by ourselves.

By the way, it is Karissa. Ka - rissa. :)

It wasn't just for you, Karissa. I could see that you were taking the high road on this one and letting it go. It was more for all the others who are offended when someone jumps in and corrects their grammar, especially on an informal forum for the deaf. What happened to you just provided the opportunity.;)

DeafCaroline: I was not "deaf or had a hearing loss/impaired" growing up. Thus "grammar correction" as such was effected only in school classes- as I recall.Hearing loss then deafness happened later in my life.

sailerboy:a "psychological condition resulting from a potentially curable physical disorder".
To the best of my knowledge hearing problems are not curable at the present time. Hearing Aids/Cochlear Implants ONLY "assist-somewhat"- in dealing with the ohysical condition. The psychological reaction as such is based on one's reaction on how one deal's with the condition. Denial/use a Hearing Aid/Learn ASL/Cochlear Implant -if suitable. Your choice in the end.

drphil: I consider myself HOH. I have a hearing loss of 75 DB in my left ear, 95 DB in my right ear. I have hearing aids. Let me tell you what I have done: I have gone to a HEARING high school, taken Honors and AP ENGLISH classes. I have gotten a 5 on the AP test for English. I have a better vocabulary than many of my HEARING friends and often help them with their English homework. I also competitively sail, which is a sport that requires more communication and discussion than pretty much any other sport on the Earth. All this while having a Severe-profound hearing loss in my GOOD ear.

As a result of the previous, I consider myself "cured" of Deafness. I function well in a normal society. I accept that people may not take that cure. It required a great amount of hard work on my part, but nothing frustrates me more than a blatantly obvious cure that people ignore. Thus, if people choose not to accept the cure, the physical problem becomes a psychological problem.

Back