Being able to "listen" to music

Alliescrimp

Reaction score
My name is Allie, I am 16, and I am hard of hearing. I became deaf in my left ear a couple years ago and am now losing hearing in my right. I love music and music has always been there when I need it. When I go completely deaf, is there a way to still hear music? Will I only be able to listen to music I know now? Can I hear new music? I really want to know!

I lived with a couple of deaf people and they 'felt' the music by playing it really loud ! I mean it was blasting away and it just about blasted me away too.

My name is Allie, I am 16, and I am hard of hearing. I became deaf in my left ear a couple years ago and am now losing hearing in my right. I love music and music has always been there when I need it. When I go completely deaf, is there a way to still hear music? Will I only be able to listen to music I know now? Can I hear new music? I really want to know!

If you are completely deaf, of course not.

If you really lose all hearing and are a cochlear implant candidate, some people, not all, with CI are able to listen to music.

I am completely deaf... yet I still listen to music... mmm but maybe I am just odd....

I am completely deaf... yet I still listen to music... mmm but maybe I am just odd....

So can you really feel the music? Does the music still evoke emotion? Will I still be able to jam in my car?

So can you really feel the music? Does the music still evoke emotion? Will I still be able to jam in my car?

You can still feel music now... it does not change. What changes is perception. I do not know a song by name, and feel almost impossible for me... music is embedded into the soul... so it is always going to be there.... as for jamming in your car, yes.... although I must caution you, cops do not like it lol something about noise ordinance.... ah well... I tell them I did not hear a thing ... :D
But seriously, all noise is vibration, it is understanding those vibrations and finding a new way to listen to music.

I hope you won't drive in my city, I can't stand it when people have their boom box on so loud that my eardrums hurt. I can feel music vibration ,
Beethoven became deaf and he still played the piano . There deaf piano turners .

You can still feel music now... it does not change. What changes is perception. I do not know a song by name, and feel almost impossible for me... music is embedded into the soul... so it is always going to be there.... as for jamming in your car, yes.... although I must caution you, cops do not like it lol something about noise ordinance.... ah well... I tell them I did not hear a thing ... :D
But seriously, all noise is vibration, it is understanding those vibrations and finding a new way to listen to music.

Thank you so much! You have given me hope as I go through this next chapter in my life.

Do you wear hearing aids? If so, you can still hear music through that. Do whatever works for you :)

Hear the music...LOL...if, and when you become totally deaf...you will be feeling the vibrations....BUT...for those who are "late deafened"...you most likely will have "Musical Tennitus":....as someone said, it will be embedded into your "head & soul"....

Music that you have heard before, will come back into play in your head. It
is never silent to me...songs pop up into my head all the time...I remember the lyrics, beat and music from many, many years ago....At times, it's very annoying...but you'll adjust, as many of us here at AD have Tennitus.....no cure for it.

Yeah I am getting tinnitus more often now , if I am busy I kind of block it out.

If you are completely deaf, of course not.

If you really lose all hearing and are a cochlear implant candidate, some people, not all, with CI are able to listen to music.

What Botti said!!!! In addition I'm HOH,(bordering on audilogically deaf) and just got back from a music fest ....they have 'terps as well!!!

Yes It depends what you like most about it I love base so rock is my choice I feel it also hear some of it through my hearing aids ..

honestly, I find that music is more powerful when it's interpreted. feeling the vibrations and watching the lyrics is just as good as listening to it.

I got a question bout this. i used to hear with an HA long time ago heard music perfectly. but now I'm deaf when i turn car stereo way way up so loud i can hear music again. anybody experance this?

Back