Been out of the loop... (Beware! Long read.)

ID

Reaction score
Hello AD'ers,

I've been using AB's PSP Sound Processor ever since I had my CI implanted back in 2000-2001 (I don't remember) and it's been treating me well. However, it's not without faults and I'll explain below:

1. Sometimes I get irked whenever I come across loud noises... I get a sudden feedback or something that turns off your CI for a brief moment then turns back on. How do I remedy this problem?

2. The headpiece falls off occasionally. Do I need to replace the metals with stronger ones that are inside my headpiece? (I have a short hair, BTW.)

That's pretty much about it.

Lately, I've been thinking of giving BTE a try. I did receive a BTE a few years ago but I hated it. I think it was AB's Platinum or CII BTE. Battery life expectancy was too short... sometimes it'd go out in less than 30 minutes. Too bulky for my taste. Sound quality wasn't on par with the PSP Sound Processor. Battery charger was faulty, wouldn't properly charge all 4 batteries.

But that won't stop me from giving BTE second thought. Last week, I saw a lady with a newer model of BTE on... unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to ask her what it felt like wearing one. However, I do remember what it looked like and it was AB's Harmony BTE.

So... here I am asking you AD'ers for the latest information on BTE technology. I mean I like my PSP Sound Processor but sometimes there are days when I don't feel like wearing them. Now, I want to give BTE a second chance so I have a few questions to ask for you.

1. Is the current BTE technology on par with sound processors?

2. Since I am using AB's sound processor, does that mean I have to go with their line? (I.E. AB's Harmony BTE.)

3. How's battery life? I can deal with changing batteries if it's longer than 4+ hours.

I guess that's all I can think of. I'll ask more later if anything comes up.

Please excuse me for not being able to keep up with the latest CI technology. I've been neglecting them all this time because I was content with my sound processor. The last time I went to my audiologist was probably 3-4 years ago. Tsk tsk.

Anyway, sorry for the long read and I appreciate any responses. :ty:

1. Sometimes I get irked whenever I come across loud noises... I get a sudden feedback or something that turns off your CI for a brief moment then turns back on. How do I remedy this problem?I think I am the only AB person around, so I will try to answer any AB question. If I do not then try hearing journey at the AB site. If you wear a tmic, the tmic might need replacing or your cable.

2. The headpiece falls off occasionally. Do I need to replace the metals with stronger ones that are inside my headpiece? (I have a short hair, BTW.)many need a stronger magnet. mine falls off sometimes. Your audie can add the magnets at mapping.

Lately, I've been thinking of giving BTE a try. I did receive a BTE a few years ago but I hated it. I think it was AB's Platinum or CII BTE. Battery life expectancy was too short... sometimes it'd go out in less than 30 minutes. Too bulky for my taste. Sound quality wasn't on par with the PSP Sound Processor. Battery charger was faulty, wouldn't properly charge all 4 batteries.I wear harmony and love it. It is heavier than a hearing aid, but the quality is fantastic. My 24 hour batteries last all day and I charge them at night.

But that won't stop me from giving BTE second thought. Last week, I saw a lady with a newer model of BTE on... unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to ask her what it felt like wearing one. However, I do remember what it looked like and it was AB's Harmony BTE.request a mentor at hearing journey. Just for that question

So... here I am asking you AD'ers for the latest information on BTE technology. I mean I like my PSP Sound Processor but sometimes there are days when I don't feel like wearing them. Now, I want to give BTE a second chance so I have a few questions to ask for you.

1. Is the current BTE technology on par with sound processors?I would say so.

2. Since I am using AB's sound processor, does that mean I have to go with their line? (I.E. AB's Harmony BTE.)Yes harmony is the lastest. You can check into a trade in program.

3. How's battery life? I can deal with changing batteries if it's longer than 4+ hours.it comes with 12 hour batteries and 24 hours batteries. I use the AB charger and charge at night. I have not had to buy any batteries in the last 2 years.

should always have yearly mapping.
Anyway, sorry for the long read and I appreciate any responses. :ty:

I hope I answered some of your questions. Maybe others can fill in the areas I do not know about.

Back