Beach Officer Drives Over Sunbather- Daytona

B

Buckdodgers

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (July 4) - A beach patrol officer who drove over a sunbather as she lay in sand will be ticketed for careless driving and fined $115, officials said.

Officer Robert Augustynowski, 43, drove his pickup truck diagonally across Danielle Taylor as she sunbathed Monday near the Main Street Pier. The Volusia County officer was driving at about 2 1/2 mph, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Taylor, 20, of Fort Stewart, Ga., was taken to Halifax Medical Center. Hospital officials would not give details Tuesday, but Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said Taylor was "awake and alert and talking" after the accident.

"Two of the tires rolled over her shoulder and her hip," patrol spokeswoman Kim Miller said.

Last August, a beach patrol officer drove over a 25-year-old woman who was sunbathing on a lounge chair, causing cuts and bruises. In February 2003, a Miami Beach police officer searching for two robbery suspects drove over two sunbathing sisters in his marked police vehicle, killing one and critically injuring the other.

Beach Officer Drives Over Sunbather

He should Be Fired!! :mad:

oh man! how can you NOT see someone lounging in a lounge chair?!?!?

i don't know if he should be fired, i mean, accidents can happen. nobody's perfect.

OUCH!! I feel sorry for the women!

I can't believe the officers actually drove over few sunbathers, how can they not miss them?! Plus when you are a officer approaching the beach, you must exercise extra caution...people are everywhere on the beach. Ugh!

Ouch... they have to be careful.. jeez.. i guess they have too many things on their mind?? should pay attention to the beach.. jeez..

err! How can he overlook this chick when driving only tweety 2 and half MPH???? That is even slower than normal walking speed! What an idiot, I think he did on purpose!

Because he is too busy looking at the chicks to his right and to his left instead of what's straight ahead.

Taylor said:
Because he is too busy looking at the chicks to his right and to his left instead of what's straight ahead.

Yep! This actually has happened before, or something similiar. I'll have to do some research to pull up the article, but this happened on Miami Beach a few years ago. A lifeguard drove over a woman and injured her. As I recall, she was a French tourist visiting here. She was injured, but survived. There was talk about a suit, but I didn't hear anymore about it after that. The woman recovered, and they went back to Europe.

I'll go googling and try to find the article.

EDIT:

I found the article I was referring to. I also got some of the details wrong. The tourists were from England, and police drove over sunbathers. Not a lifeguard.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849895/posts

Last edited:
Beach patrol officer may have blind from the sun while driving. Also it may be hard to view the individual's tan that matchs the color of sand. Who cares and the local govt would not fire him/her...

The police should be fired? Are you jumping into conclusion?

If I were the police officer in Daytona that fined an officer, I'd give him 3 warnings, but that's a first warning for him. If the officer driving the beach abused the same thing again, after a third warning, I can suspend him. The police officer working in the beach must keep in the lookout for anyone in the beach, not stare and smile at a woman or a man... C'mon... Use common sense!

jillio said:
Who was drving the truck? MR.MAGOO???? :dunno:
Yeah,,How did the DMV ever grant Mr Magoo a license to drive?

copcar.gif

Ok Magoo Pull it over!!
magoo4.jpg

What the Problem officer?
cop1.gif

magoo4.jpg

But officer i didnt see a stop sign,,How can i see a stop sign when i cant see?

Back