Basic care of cars...

paperclip

Reaction score
I'm a girl and I drove more tractors than cars growing up.

Today, my roommate pointed out that I had no anti-freeze in my car. :shock: I know how to check oil and such, but I honestly didn't know about anti-freeze. Anyway, this may explain why I no longer have heat in my car. I'm currently stuck in a blizzard in NY.

So I was wondering what needs to be check on cars regularly? Oil and anti-freeze...anything else?

How do I know if my lack of anti-freeze caused any damage to the car? I have a Ford Focus btw.

Pipes freeze and burst if no anti-freeze. It can ruin your radiator.

Today, my roommate pointed out that I had no anti-freeze in my car. :shock: I know how to check oil and such, but I honestly didn't know about anti-freeze. Anyway, this may explain why I no longer have heat in my car. I'm currently stuck in a blizzard in NY.

So I was wondering what needs to be check on cars regularly? Oil and anti-freeze...anything else?

How do I know if my lack of anti-freeze caused any damage to the car? I have a Ford Focus btw.

Your radiator will probably burst and who knows about the inside of the engine? If water freezes and you start up the car, there will be no liquid circulating.......ominous, huh?

You should also check the power steering fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, auto trans fluid, etc..

I think your car is leaking antifreeze which is why it's not there. Antifreeze is NOT supposed to freeze. They can withstand up to -60 or so.

oh man....does this mean I need to wait until it is above freezing to start my car again?

My roommate put a 1/2 a bottle in and ran the car for about a minute and turned it off. He said not to drive it until I put more antifreeze in it...I feel like my car turned into a potential bomb or something...

oh man....does this mean I need to wait until it is above freezing to start my car again?

My roommate put a 1/2 a bottle in and ran the car for about a minute and turned it off. He said not to drive it until I put more antifreeze in it...I feel like my car turned into a potential bomb or something...

Sounds like your car leaked antifreeze and ended up with nothing in it. The best recommendation is to put 50/50 mix of water AND antifreeze to get best results. First, you still need to find out why you have no antifreeze in there...find out where the leak is coming from...then you can refill with 50/50 mix.

If you don't see any leak from outside of vehicle then probably you have bad head gasket (coolant went inside the engine) or thermostat got stuck.

No antifreeze wouldn't cause anything to freeze and burst. It would cause overheating though. It sounds like you are very low on antifreeze, which could cause it to overheat too. It could be leaking externally or internally. What does your oil look like? If looks like chocolate milk, it is a bad sign of antifreeze mixing with the oil. It could be leaking externally though. You might want to have a repair shop look it over. And also, read your owner's manual as it will give you tips on the things to check and what kinds of fluids to add.

My oil looks normal. I just checked it. I looked a few things up and I can be somewhat assured that I haven't caused too much damage since the car is used for a 3 mile commute to school - thus nothing could have overheated - right?

My oil looks normal. I just checked it. I looked a few things up and I can be somewhat assured that I haven't caused too much damage since the car is used for a 3 mile commute to school - thus nothing could have overheated - right?
Maybe and maybe not.

Did you see your temp guage in the red? If you weren't getting heat, then probably not.

I didn't notice it going red, but then again, I wasn't really paying attention.

Thank you for everyone's help!

I didn't notice it going red, but then again, I wasn't really paying attention.

Thank you for everyone's help!

The oil looks normal then check your thermostat. It's cost around $25 to replace the new part. If thermostat is good then check the water pump. I suggest you send the Ford to shop quick or engine will damage due overheat all times.

well, I am going to take a chance and drive to Target (approximately 4 miles away) to get anti-freeze. I am not sure how to check my thermostat? I'll watch to see if it overheats. There isn't a Ford Dealership here - but I could take it to an autoshop about 1 mile from my house.

well, I am going to take a chance and drive to Target (approximately 4 miles away) to get anti-freeze. I am not sure how to check my thermostat? I'll watch to see if it overheats. There isn't a Ford Dealership here - but I could take it to an autoshop about 1 mile from my house.

Most autoshop should know how to fix the overheat engine issue.

Be sure to get the right kind of Anti-freeze cuz some cars use Cool-Tex (orange) Antifreeze while other use Green antifreeze. Refer to Owner's manual (typically in maintenace care nearly end of the book). If you are not sure, ask Auto part store to find out which Antifreeze type your car is using. There are time that some people don't bother checking Antifreeze in their car and it reach over 100k miles then suddenly they complained that their heater don't work or works only if they driving after stop. Antifreeze evapoates over the time until it runs low without any leaks. My friend drive 2003 Chrystler Town & Country, she asked me to fix/tune up her car before her vacation. It had 122k miles on it. She complained about heater not working. I checked through her car and :eek2: her van was low on Antifreeze. I decide to replace Thermosat before filling up the antifreeze. It use Cool-Tex (orange) antifreeze that I have on hand cuz I own Dodge Durango and Jeep Liberty that uses same kind. I happily fill it up and now heater works great.

Plus I fixed her tranny that had leaks. She told me she sent it to mechanic several times and they couldn't fix it and told her get a new tranny (she spent hundreds of dollars each visit yike!!). It was one spot of seal near wheel well apparently got damaged by rock or hard objects on highway. I simply put Gasket Maker (blue silicone sealer) on tranny seal lip where leak came from and on portion of rubber gasket plus the portion of pan. I let it dry a bit before putting pan back on tranny. I fixed the leak for good. Unbelievable!! Mechanics don't clean out the dirt and grimes to find the leak coming from!!

Be sure that you have right kind of tranny fluid such as Mercon-Dexron, ATF, ATF +4 (ATF +4 typically Dodge or Chrystler). If you don't use right kind, you'll damage the tranny. Refer to Owner's manual or Ask Auto part store

So when you check your car, OFC, check oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid (checking tranny fluid requires engine running and car on Park), Air pressure on each tires, and Lastly, antifreeze. The white semi-transparent container usually hold antifreeze that have marking "Max -- Min--) level. Check to see if you can see liquid line on the container. If you don't see any, Open the cap and look inside if you can. If you don't see any Antifreeze, just fill it up to Max-- level , don't go over it.. Check again after engine is hot and running. If it still low cuz the engine "suck" the antifreeze to fill the radiator, wait 30 min and if level on canister still low, fill em up to Max level again. Until engine stopped "sucking" antifreeze..

Also either you or your hubby or friend check sparkplugs to be sure it's still in good shape. Cheap Copper core sparkplugs requires 3,500 mi replacement while Platinum Sparkplugs requires 24k miles to replace ( I prefer Platinum cuz it last longer. I usually get Bosch 1 tip Platinum sparkplugs)

You do likewise if you are travelling long trip. Typically, cars or truck do lose oil, fluid during long trip because engine work very hard on high speed on highway even brand new car/truck. Be sure to check every 500 to 1,000 miles interval on your long trip (during time when you're filling up gas). So that you'll keep car well maintained.

Also check air pressure if you happen to drive through the West (Colorado, Utah, and several Western states) that Atmospheric pressure are different. Like for example, Going from Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah which is under Sea Level, It cause the tire pressure to go down 5 to 10 PSI. Fill em up to correct pressure. When you leave Salt Lake City, UT, driving up the long hill and arrive to Colorado, be sure to check pressure again, It'll go over 5 to 10 PSI that could lead blowout. Leak out the tire to correct PSI level. It did happen to my old Mazda 323 when I drove to West and head back. I kept checking tire pressure cuz I saw many cars and truck had blowouts and was pulled over to side of highway (it was during summer time). That explained why it happened. It's just my common sense thing.

Lastly, you might want to check brake pads to be sure it's thick (Typically any cars or truck that have disc brakes on front or all 4 wheels). If you happen to own a car with Mag spoke wheel, sometime you can peek through or feel it (only if disc are cool) to see how thick without removing wheel (if you can't see it on one or two wheels, just move your car few inches to rotate wheel). If you see brake pads are thin, replace it ASAP before it scoures the disc.

These are basic checkups you need to maintain your car.

Catty :cool:

It's kind of a big picture concept in regards to your cooling systems. They aren't that hard to figure out except that there is a lot of components and reasons why your always out of coolant. Here is a very general rule of thumb if your car is leaking coolant right behind the front bumper, almost like it is leaking from the bumper that is your radiator. A generally cheap and/or easy repair I don't know how much mechanics charge, but $300 or less is pretty reasonable. If you aren't sure if that is right try this there is a big black pipe that connects to your engine. If when the car is cold meaning it has been off for at least 1 to 2 hours depending how warm your car gets if you squeeze the pipe and fluid leaks if needs a new pipe this is like 15 to 20 dollars in labor plus the pipe(if your car is really old these pipes tend to be really cheap since they are not molded molded pipes are kind of expensive tho). Lastly and this is the worst case your cars intake manifold could be cracked due to high temp destroying it or a bad mix of coolant to water creating rust. That repair is a about 900 to 1,500 dollars depending on where it's serviced and the model type. My suggestion have someone you trust look if over for you. Oh and the heat thing is not going to determine engine wear at all. I'd go more in depth, but thats the break down.

It's kind of a big picture concept in regards to your cooling systems. They aren't that hard to figure out except that there is a lot of components and reasons why your always out of coolant. Here is a very general rule of thumb if your car is leaking coolant right behind the front bumper, almost like it is leaking from the bumper that is your radiator. A generally cheap and/or easy repair I don't know how much mechanics charge, but $300 or less is pretty reasonable. If you aren't sure if that is right try this there is a big black pipe that connects to your engine. If when the car is cold meaning it has been off for at least 1 to 2 hours depending how warm your car gets if you squeeze the pipe and fluid leaks if needs a new pipe this is like 15 to 20 dollars in labor plus the pipe(if your car is really old these pipes tend to be really cheap since they are not molded molded pipes are kind of expensive tho). Lastly and this is the worst case your cars intake manifold could be cracked due to high temp destroying it or a bad mix of coolant to water creating rust. That repair is a about 900 to 1,500 dollars depending on where it's serviced and the model type. My suggestion have someone you trust look if over for you. Oh and the heat thing is not going to determine engine wear at all. I'd go more in depth, but thats the break down.
Big black pipe that you refer to the upper/lower radiator hose(s)? I think you miss something in the sentence that started with "intake manifold could be cracked", is intake manifold gaskets. Often I replaced GM designed molded plastic intake manifold gaskets w/ O rings on many GM OBD-II vehicles. Some mechanics say they were caused by DexCool (chemical formula in DexCool, maybe soft or corrodes the plastic gaskets).
Coolant leaks are can be found in heater core, reservior or head gasket or expansion plugs

Back