BAHA or Cros?

gidget6kids

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day for my son. What is best profound unilateral hearing loss for a seven year old? Cros or BAHA? Anyone with any experience that you would be willing to share?

Is Cros the same as BAHA? i understand you said that cochlear implant dont work??

Hi!

I don't know how else to word this other just coming right out with the following in a blunt manner.

No matter which system you choose, your son will always hear sounds coming out of his good ear. It doesn't matter if it's Cros or especially BAHA.

Additionally there are other solutions similar to BAHA. Perhaps you should do some more researching?

You might want to take a look at this forum:
The BAHAUsers Support FORUM - Single Sided Deafness

Thank you for the reference. I have researched but wanted to hear someone with personal experience. These were the only 2 options that insurance covers. Thanks again.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'd definately look into trying both - there is a softband version of the BAHA that will give an idea if it works better for him than the CROS.

If you do go with BAHA be aware there is a new abutment free version (typically the complaints with BAHA are related to the abutment, not the actual HA)

Have him try out both and give his own feedback...every kid is different with how they respond to aiding....some kids love them,others hate them and so on......be child centered!

Not necessarily the route we wanted to take...but....they fitted my son with a regular hearing aid and we have to try it for up to 3 mths. She said that it wouldn't work, but for insurance purposes that is what we have to do, first. She also said that the company that they work with has CROS aids, but they are attached by a cord that would go around the back of the head.....uhm......not an option for a 7 yr old very active boy. I asked if we could get the non-attached system from another company and she is looking into it for me. She *highly* recommends the BAHA (bone based behind the ear) system, but they don't do it and she would have to refer us to someone else.

So, for now.....we continue ASL (he read/signed his first book), hug him, treat him no differently than the other kids and live life in awareness. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Back