Bad meat from the store

goodonya

Reaction score
I am convinced the only way to stop this practice is public protest.

The beef and pork from the store is being treated with some kind of process to make it appeal in the cooler and it effects the product in a negative way.

I buy meat at a Kroger owned food chain. It makes no difference really when it comes to what is being done to meat back there in the back at these poison parlors.
It looks good on the outside and has a rotting/sour layer on the inside.
This is not acceptable. You buy this stuff and bring it home and it immediately starts going through color changes. These products are going bad at a high rate of speed.

They are ripping off the public perpetuating a handling process that is not working right and will not stop.
This is not a thread about the rights and wrongs of eating meat. It is about what are you getting at the store ... is it sprayed or pressured in carbon monoxide to look good while accelerating rot from underneath?

The store could be selling outdated meat by changing the pull date on the packages. Maybe you should call the health department and have them check this out. I heard of stores selling old meat by changing the pull date . I agree meat is not as good today , I had some chicken last night and I could not eat as it did not taste right. Maybe it's the food being feed to the animals , I hope the feeds is not coming from China.

The store could be selling outdated meat by changing the pull date on the packages. Maybe you should call the health department and have them check this out. I heard of stores selling old meat by changing the pull date . I agree meat is not as good today , I had some chicken last night and I could not eat as it did not taste right. Maybe it's the food being feed to the animals , I hope the feeds is not coming from China.

Please keep in mind that the US Government has a requirement that all stuff be made inside the country, so I highly doubt that something like this would come from there. Maybe the companies are cutting corners? :dunno:

Please keep in mind that the US Government has a requirement that all stuff be made inside the country, so I highly doubt that something like this would come from there. Maybe the companies are cutting corners? :dunno:

Everything we wear today is just about made in China, toys are made in China . My city was using fluoride from China in our drinking water to save money , I am not sure if we still use it. I do not drink the city water.

I refrain from buying meats that are outdated by a day or so...ewwww....Once at Winn-Dixie, I bought a bag of Chicken...came home and was going to freeze it into freezer bags, 3 pieces at a time....Once I opened the bag....it was ROTTEN!.....

Went back to the Store, brought back that bag of rotten chicken and yes, I raised Hell!....The Manager came out and told me he would give me more Chicken that was fresh from the cuttery in back....That particular store closed down not long afterwards....

Everything we wear today is just about made in China, toys are made in China . My city was using fluoride from China in our drinking water to save money , I am not sure if we still use it. I do not drink the city water.

Hmm. Well, I'm surprised. The government passed a law or a rule not that long ago that certain stuff must be made in the United States, but as for animal products, I have no idea. All I know is that some things must be American made.

Get you a large freezer and buy it in bulk at a slaughterhouse.

That would work as long as the OP does not have a lot long power outages . There been some power outages in my state that lasted over a week . A backup generator would be great to have if someone has large freeze. My dad brought our meat from a Kosher butcher in bulk and kept it in a large freeze. Dad would made his own grounded beef when he had the time.

Its called Dynomiting, they spray it with I believe its called Nitro Glystering?? It brings the red back in the meat, some shops only spray the surface so its bright bloody red looking but the underside is still greyish, sometimes inside as well. They are allowed to do this 3 times and after that the meat is discarded.
I had a friend that worked for *un-named popular store* in the meat department and he told me about it.

I buy my meats from a Family owned meat packing plant, they have their own farm and do everything from slaughtering to selling their meat. Best place Ive ever been to for meats, very fresh too. Its in Illinois, so about an hour drive for me to get there, but well worth it.

I buy my meats from a Family owned meat packing plant, they have their own farm and do everything from slaughtering to selling their meat. Best place Ive ever been to for meats, very fresh too. Its in Illinois, so about an hour drive for me to get there, but well worth it.

I'm amazed there isn't such a place right in your own back yard....

Its called Dynomiting, they spray it with I believe its called Nitro Glystering?? It brings the red back in the meat, some shops only spray the surface so its bright bloody red looking but the underside is still greyish, sometimes inside as well. They are allowed to do this 3 times and after that the meat is discarded.
I had a friend that worked for *un-named popular store* in the meat department and he told me about it.

I do not eat red meat anymore but I eat chicken and it sometime looks very weird to me in the store. I sometime think of being a vegetarian again but I am finding the veggies to very poor quality too.

Just call your local health inspector if you have concerns. They'll check the store out. Don't turn this into a mass paranoia thing. Many places are perfectly reputable.

I'm amazed there isn't such a place right in your own back yard....

There are 2 within 1/2 mile of me, but I got bad meat there a couple times and quit going there, I never see much business there anyways. Both are right next ( or should I say on the railroad tracks...) lol
I bought a 10 pound round roast to make jerky, it was sealed in heavy plastic and frozen, I slow thawed it in the fridge to just enough to slice on a meat slicer, I cut the package open and oh god did it reek. I took it back and they would not refund my money ( claimed I spoiled it ) I only had it one day????
A week later they were in the paper for taking old meat, and then freezing it and selling as fresh frozen... figures. So they got fined and couldnt sell meats for a couple months... They claimed they were losing too much meat because business was slow so they were freezing it to make it last longer, as they claim.

We were going to purchase meat packages to fill the deep freeze, glad that investigation became public before we wasted hundreds.

But as soon as the place in Il. gets back with me on a price, Im ordering possibly a half cow and thinking of a whole hog for a hog roast for the house warming/BBQ.

Just call your local health inspector if you have concerns. They'll check the store out. Don't turn this into a mass paranoia thing. Many places are perfectly reputable.

I suggested calling the health department. When I was health aide I had some clients that had food delivered from a small grocery store to their apartments. My clients told the food was days old and the meat was no good. I thought that was disgusting selling rotten food to elderlies that where not able to drive anymore. My clients had me do their grocery shopping for them. And when I got back to one client the delivery guy from the rotten food store was trying to force my client to buy food she did not order. When he saw me he gave me a dirty look b/c he had almost bullied my client into buying the rotten food. I won't call not the OP paranoia , there are some very dishonest people around.

Oh, I wasn't calling the OP paranoid, sorry for that confusion. I was just saying not to turn the entire thread into mass paranoia. I myself have bought questionable meat too, I guess I always attributed it to a bad batch or bad delivery.

A lot of family owned meat stores have a hard competing with Wal mart .

Because their meat is so much better, I highly doubt they are trying to compete with Walmart.....:lol: I mean, I'm sure that's the furthest thing from their mind.

<below part of a longer article in which there is a quote from Yahoo that begins at 'Chinese chicken'>

"USDA to allow China to process American chickens, then ship them back to the USA
Submitted by Coupon Maven on Mon, 09/09/2013 - 9:01pm

Here's a potential food-safety issue that you may want to be aware of. The USDA has agreed to let chicken processing plants in China process American-raised chickens, then ship the chickens back to the USA to be sold to consumers. From Yahoo:

' "Chinese chicken" will soon have a whole new meaning, as the U.S. Department of Agriculture recently gave the green-light to four chicken processing plants in China, allowing chicken raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be exported to China for processing, and then shipped back to the U.S. and sold on grocery shelves here. ......"
<end copy/paste>

I don't eat red meat and get our poultry from the local co-op and/or farmer's markets. Haven't had Tyson for years.
I honestly don't trust most mass produced food items for either people or other animals.

Because their meat is so much better, I highly doubt they are trying to compete with Walmart.....:lol: I mean, I'm sure that's the furthest thing from their mind.

There are small stores in my city that where no match for the Wal Mart in
NH that is tax free. I refuse to shop at Wal Mart , I hate shopping at stores you need a map to find your way around. I once went there to buy a bag of dog food and there where food moths all over the bags. GROSS! My ex husband got a gift card for Sam's club and we brought some frozen food and had to throw it out , it was all freezer burn. I like supporting the local stores b/c it help my city .

Back