Baby swallowed hearing aid battery!

Wirelessly posted

I am glad all is well, and she passed the battery.

Harrowing experience! Sorry this is happening to you. I also was annoyed that my Widex Super 440's do not have an on/off switch. The audi stated they need to be left opened because of moisture build up in the aids. Not having the switch forces you to open it up and let it dry out.

Your audi sounds a bit like an idiot...leave them open at night yes, but during the day use the M Dex. It's a great way to lose the batteries on a daily basis. BTW, you are aware of the TV-Dex as well? It's awesome if you haven't tried it yet.

It sounds like this person is leaving out a lot. Having the option to turn things on and off is what makes these models rock....

The Widex 440 comes with M Dex which is a device you wear around your neck. It allows you to turn the volume up or down, right or left, font or back. When I'm at work, I can also turn them off so I'm not distracted. There's also a device known as RC Dex that allows to you to raise or lower sound or turn it off. It can be carried on your key chain which is what I do when I go to the gym. If you buy the 440, the M Dex and RC are included. I've no idea why your audiologists would fail to mention something so obvious, but both of these devices allow you to shut off the hearing aids if you wish. Here's more info:

RC-DEX - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids.

And the M Dex:

M-DEX - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids.

No they aren't. You have to purchase them separately. The M-dex I believe is $250 and the other one is $150. I just got the 440s a couple months ago.

No they aren't. You have to purchase them separately. The M-dex I believe is $250 and the other one is $150. I just got the 440s a couple months ago.

They were free for me. You probably should have shopped around. You don't pay for them for the 440s unless someone doesn't know their job or is ripping you off....sorry to read someone messed up on that but they come with the model. The other models, the 220s, you pay extra, but not the 440.

BTW, I paid $6,150 for the 440 -out of pocket without insurance coverage because I blew that coverage with the Starkey garbage. The TV Dex, M Dex, and RC Dex were free and part of the 440 package because it's a high end model. I'm shocked you got ripped off which it sounds like you did. You shouldn't have to pay for those features....

They were free for me. You probably should have shopped around. You don't pay for them for the 440s unless someone doesn't know their job or is ripping you off....sorry to read someone messed up on that but they come with the model. The other models, the 220s, you pay extra, but not the 440.

Just because YOU got them for free doesn't mean they're automatically included as you implied unless you can show me something that says they are. I'm more inclined to think that your audi was having a sale or Widex had a promotion at the time or something. You scored. I didn't. It happens.

BTW, I paid $6,150 for the 440 -out of pocket without insurance coverage because I blew that coverage with the Starkey garbage. The TV Dex, M Dex, and RC Dex were free and part of the 440 package because it's a high end model. I'm shocked you got ripped off which it sounds like you did. You shouldn't have to pay for those features....

Lol. I paid around $1600 each. No wonder you were getting them for "free".

Lol. I paid around $1600 each. No wonder you were getting them for "free".

If you're paying that much for high end models, you should, yes? I visited three hearing aid centers and was told the very same thing - including cost for the hearing aids without insurance coverage. So I gather from your response that you made out like a bandit and only paid a max of three or four thousand...so you should be able to easily afford the additional devices.

I'd pay it again, BTW, Widex has been worth every dime.

If you're paying that much for high end models, you should, yes? I visited three hearing aid centers and was told the very same thing - including cost for the hearing aids without insurance coverage. So I gather from your response that you made out like a bandit and only paid a max of three or four thousand...so you should be able to easily afford the additional devices.

I'd pay it again, BTW, Widex has been worth every dime.

Should be able to afford it? Now you're just being silly. Just because YOU paid more doesn't mean that I SHOULD be able to afford it. The hearing aids were a lot of money. Six isn't what they cost me though. The additional devices I did not get because it's not something that I'm really interested in. No need to throw away money if I'm not going to use it. The hearing aids come off when I get home and I don't want another thing to put in my pockets. I've already got a lot of stuff in them as is. Maybe I'll try 'em one day but probably not. We'll see...

I agree. This is by far the best hearing aid ever. I am stunned with how well I hear with it. Worth every penny and I'd easily pay 10k tomorrow. That's how impressed I am with them.

Should be able to afford it? Now you're just being silly. Just because YOU paid more doesn't mean that I SHOULD be able to afford it.

I paid what they cost, devices and all. I couldn't afford it, especially after paying $500 for the Starkeys after the insurance picked up the $2,000 bill, followed by another $5,000 for my surgery and two days into my recovery I bought the Widex - with no financial help unfortunately. Now if I could afford all this on a federal salary, why am I living with my parents at 45? While I was paying for all of this, my parents had to help me with gas and tolls so I could get to my job out of state...I'm not wealthy...and I'll probably be working until I'm in my 70's on what little I earn and save...that's not living the Miller high life...true for everyone, you want to hear, you'll pay whatever it takes.

One of our worst nightmares happened today when our 13-month old swallowed her older brother's hearing aid battery. I have to admit that I've long been afraid this would happen. The problem with our son's Oticon Safaris is that the only way to shut the aids off is to open the battery compartment.

There's an option on Chilis that will allow you to put them on standby with the big button. Maybe you can do that With Safaris as well, might be worth checking with the audi.

He has a habit of doing that when he gets feedback or if the battery dies. He has broken several battery compartments and we've had some close calls with finding batteries on the floor, but we really do try to be vigilant and keep a close eye on the hearing aids and batteries at all times.

Have you tried something like Ear Gear? if you pull the sock over the compartment it might prevent the battery cover from opening fully.

You couldn't have simply removed them from your ears?

Strangely enough people don't think that for some reason, if there's a loud sound I just move away from it too, I guess it becomes like your ears, you don't think of removing your ears when there's a loud sound :)

But then I'd just be turning the volume down on the Streamer if it's going to last a while :)

Strangely enough people don't think that for some reason, if there's a loud sound I just move away from it too, I guess it becomes like your ears, you don't think of removing your ears when there's a loud sound :)

But then I'd just be turning the volume down on the Streamer if it's going to last a while :)

Keep in mind, he stated that this was a painful sound. That's definitely a different mindset for sure and one that I totally get.

Me? I can't wait to take them off. I mean don't get me wrong, I actually ENJOY wearing them. I actually do benefit from them despite being profound. Heck, I benefit a lot as I can hear speech despite having 110/120+ loss. I still can't wait to toss them in the dryer at the end of the day. They are a lot of work to wear and I'm beat by the time I get home. I also operate heavy machinery all day long so I look forward to the quiet.

Back