Audiologist reprogramming my to my profound hearing loss .

Yes, Usher is majority portion of deafblind population. I have 90 degrees with both eyes and great acuity with contact lenses.

Interesting, does could progress into full blindness in later life? Do you have to take steroid medicine everyday?
Majority of high functioning DB actually. Most of those who are classified as "DB" actually have it as a part of a more profound/ severe multihandicapped disorder. (ie multihandicapped as in "kid on the developmental level of a baby/toddler, mentally cannot walk and talk) There are a lot of higher functioning DB people, and as you said Usher's is the majority of the high functioning ones. Although I remember a REALLY old user, Lady Duke who was DB due to other things......

Majority of high functioning DB actually. Most of those who are classified as "DB" actually have it as a part of a more profound/ severe multihandicapped disorder. (ie multihandicapped as in "kid on the developmental level of a baby/toddler, mentally cannot walk and talk) There are a lot of higher functioning DB people, and as you said Usher's is the majority of the high functioning ones. Although I remember a REALLY old user, Lady Duke who was DB due to other things......

Yes, that's correct, I means high functioning DB, not DB generally.

Thank you for helping and I didn't think about this word without realize about how many are severe and profoundly multi-disabilities.

True about ushers that grate I know your side vision is gone so you can read print that great . I can't read regular print but zoom text helps a lot .. I can go fully blind one day I hope not I also have nystagmus shaky eyes . I'm on 30 mg prednisone , and monthly infusions called ivig .
Vorsia, have you looked into intense blindskills training? It might be a good idea to look into additional blind skills like O&M, Braille literatcy etc etc, if you haven't already done so. The more skills you have the better!

Yes, that's correct, I means high functioning DB, not DB generally.

Thank you for helping and I didn't think about this word without realize about how many are severe and profoundly multi-disabilities.
Well severe/profound multihandicapped kids really are at a much different level then most deaf plus kids. Their being dhh tends to be pretty much secondary. They are physically deaf, but not educationally Deaf. Like they tend to be in severe disabilty classrooms, rather then deaf schools/programs. They may respond to preschool level Deaf interventions, but most of them will have the DB issues as a secondary issue. Doesn't mean they won't benefit from Deaf-Blind intervention, as much of DB intervention IS very specialized, and of course you do have to try everything with this population.

Vorsia, have you looked into intense blindskills training? It might be a good idea to look into additional blind skills like O&M, Braille literatcy etc etc, if you haven't already done so. The more skills you have the better!
I have worked with Hellen Keller in sands point Long Island, I had training with gen O&M we learned so and he used asl . Was a wonderful experience with cooking as so on. They Got me a tutor who was fully blind , communication not the best as he only learned palm finger spelling and .. I just didn't see myself finger spelling The Whole time with no signing . I did speak in speech but just not affective for me to really benefit from it like I wanted.they just closed the case now and it's cool because o&m all that I need.and safe cooking to really focus on the baking business.

Last edited:
Oh that's good!!!! So basicly all you needed was some intense O&M stuff? Good luck on your baking business!

Back