Attempts to cure deafness?

Anything or anyone can be a fraud, just look at drug use in sports today Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Rodger Clemens or perhaps finance, Bernard Madoff.

Here is what I know, I desperately want a cure to my deafness, but I will believe it only when I literally hear it.

I do think we will find a cure someday, but I'm not writing home about it just yet.

I don't believe you speak for everyone. I know many who do hope for a cure.

I'm one of them...I'll do everything I can financially to prevent it and I continue to pray for more medical break throughs for those of us that enjoy being connected with the world of sound.

Laura

Good luck for hoping a cure. I used to feel that way so I know what it feels like to be in that deep anguished pain. *shudders* it was a horrible way for me to live. If it works for you, then you are blessed.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Wirelessly posted

It could be just circumstances on your part, but it could also be just plain giving up. I, also am one who is in similar circumstances and many would have given up but I am fighting tooth and nail for my right to be who I am - Deaf. (btw, I was born deaf, raised oral, in a hearing environment with no contact with Deaf, yet now I am continuously learning what is my language (sign language) and am embracing my Deafness full on, even to preferring to be Voice-off). Is it easy? No, but to give up to others who dictate to me that I need to conform to a 'hearing world' just because it conveniences the majority. Why should I? Why should we?

Wow..that's inspirational!

:wave: Shel!

Regarding cures:
I know a bunch about stem cells not because I am obsessed with them (i am referring to a former? all deaf dude) but because I have literally taken more than one graduate school class about stem cells. They offer so much for many different conditions.
However, whether or not stem cells or any other treatment could "cure" my deafness, I wouldn't want it. Yah, it sucks to be the only deaf person in my graduate school. It sucks trying to keep up with the hearing students but working twice as hard. But the difficulty I face makes me stronger.
I have been told by many doctors I have worked with in a clinical setting that I am better at listening than any hearing student they have had.
So while I complain at times about how hard things can be, I wouldn't trade my severe to profound hearing loss for normal hearing.
For one, I wouldn't know what I was hearing. It has been over a decade or more since I heard what normal people hear (I'm only in my 20's). I love the fact that during an exam I can turn my super power hearing aids off and be in a silent world. And my fiancé's snores don't wake me.
I am looking to get a cochlear implant but I wouldn't get one of the completely implantable designs that have been rumored to be "right around the corner in a few years". I want the option and blessing to be in silence from time to time.

Having a choice to be in a silent world is wonderful (esp when I have a hangover...).
My hearing friends are jealous that I can turn off the sound.

I'll never forget this documentary:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4xoS-x-mUM&t=2m15s"]The World of Deaf Culture (Part 2) CC - YouTube[/ame]

At 2:15 -- Airplane rides, heat earplugs, meeting Babe Ruth to cure deafness?
Awesome experience for a kid, at least.

Last edited:
Want a CI? Then go get it. Want stem cells? Then go get it. I don't fucking care. Me? No, thank you. That's final.

I have no idea what can/might be "found" in the future re: "Deaf cure". It definitely is not the "near horizon". Thus one must accept being DEAF-now.
How one deals with the condition is a personal decision. Learn sign communication-ASL et al, become "voice off" or check out if one can use a Cochlear Implant-if suitable.

Back