AT&T/DirecTV merger announced for $49 Billion

I wonder how much my parents are paying for DirecTV. Probably a lot more than my $95+ that I currently pay, although I have no idea, but I do know that one of my housemates is paying just under $55/month for her AT&T services, and another housemate was paying $100+, but he recently disconnected the cable portion, but kept the Internet portion because of his VP.

Our family pay $130 per month for DirecTV.

Our family pay $130 per month for DirecTV.

That's high. You live in Arkansas (or is it Alabama?), though. IL has some of the highest taxes in the country, so it could be possible they're paying more than that, but like I said, I have no clue. I do, however, remember back in 2007 they had two DirecTV boxes for their house, but no longer. That may be why they were paying so much then, although truth be told, I have absolutely no idea how the system even works.

That's high. You live in Arkansas, though. IL has some of the highest taxes in the country, so it could be possible they're paying more than that, but like I said, I have no clue. I do, however, remember back in 2007 they had two DirecTV boxes for their house, but no longer. That may be why they were paying so much then, although truth be told, I have absolutely no idea how the system even works.

No, I live in Alabama.

Birmingham metro is at&t territory too and many neighborhoods get U-verse too.

My parent want to sell their house and move to suburb that is fully developed, denser, lower crime rate and closer to work, not exurb with undeveloped neighborhood and our road isn't fully paved because city want our neighborhood to finish building all houses, but there is one problem - the builder company went bankrupt and they aren't going to finish anytime soon. Also, my parent want to get cable internet and TV too.

I learned a expensive lesson - never buy a house that is not fully developed or it could hurt the value, also digital divide too.

good time to buy unused land around their house and have a larger plot... land is getting hard to find.

wow guys, we pay about $200 a month running 4 uverse boxes, 3 iphones with unlimited data plans, 2 additional cell phones, internet and home phone line. all under ATT plan.

good time to buy unused land around their house and have a larger plot... land is getting hard to find.

There are plenty of lands in Alabama.

I can't take utility's promise anymore after cable company broke a promise about install cable TV/internet in our neighborhood.

As IT guy, I must have faster internet speed so living in rural or exurb are not option for me.

Anytime you get a modem with built in router and you have hardware videophone platform all you need to do when getting modem is setup static nat to vp ip address or similar settings. A quick call to any VRS tech support will tell you if you need to do this or not with any videophone setup. some phones needs this, some dont. More and more VP's setup are not requiring this so always check with your VRS provider.

Radioman is correct, Chicagoblue2. If a sorenson installer is struggling to enter into a modem with a built in router or a company branded modem (like Comcast Xfinity), so s/he can contact Tech Support to turn NAT/SAT on without touching a modem with a built in router or router at all to make VP calls working. I have seen my friend replacing my defective Ntouch base and texting tech support to turn NAT and SAT on on my VP. It works beautifully without needing to configurate my router to make my VP working. Obviously, a Sorenson installer does not know how s/he is doing to fix your roommate's VP.

wow guys, we pay about $200 a month running 4 uverse boxes, 3 iphones with unlimited data plans, 2 additional cell phones, internet and home phone line. all under ATT plan.
I suspect the prices also depends on where you live.

ATT costs more where my friend lives- that and some extra features that they need since ATT is the only 'racket' in town that even offers that particular feature they need.

They'd be thrilled if more competition comes into town with the same features- and lower prices.

Not all ISP would allow you configure the modem. I have seen cases where they refused to provide password to change even firewall settings for videophone.

ask yourself why not ? your statement is not totally true. you can find access to all modems/routers online. use your best friend .. google. The way I see it installer did not do his/her homework.

There is virtually no modem that an installer or end user cannot access to. All modems can be accessed by enduser. In my opinion- the companies names is irrevelent , cable internet is faster to setup for vp's, but DSL,fios, cable internet are all easy to setup, you just need to know the settings you want to look for. There are more then one way to skin a cat. You can use nat, port forward, dmz, etc for virutally any ip based devices to do what you want.

Its known fact. Yes. they do set price depending on factors, the less competitors the higher price they charge for and that was just one example.

And that is why the govt. needs to stop the ATT/ Direct TV merger and go so far as to break up ATT once again, but I think we have a better chance of carrying a snowball successfully thru a blast furnace. I moved my business line over to net Talk after my bill more than doubled in a years time on ATT.

Back