Asperger

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
I can't find any section that my question would fit in this thread. I thought parenting section may make sense.

I just learned about ASPERGER from here on ALLDEAF. It just dawns on me about some of my old classmates who may have it without realizing it after i read about mild asperger to asperger.

when did parents or teachers or doctor recognizes that you have a asperger?

I don't expect you to explain everything here but how do they recognizes in the pattern what children have, rather than adults.

I know it's a sensitive issue. Since I become a parent and start to recognize alot of kids' behaviors and try to understand them better.

thank you.

DSM IVr is what is used to define Asperger's also its important to note that DSM V will remove Asperger's and just combine it back into HFA High Functioning Autism. For me personally, I don't really care which term people use. More people have heard of Autism, but it is also more Stigmatized. Important to remember it is a Spectrum disorder. Aspires can be all across the spectrum thus we are not all going to present with the same symptoms..

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
======================================================================

[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus. commonly referred to as our "special interests"
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements) the term for this is stimming.
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood. This is an important characteristic to remember.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

to summarize, Aspires or Aspies are Usually quite intillegent and knowledgeable esp about their special interests, but socially inept and awkward...

DSM IVr is what is used to define Asperger's also its important to note that DSM V will remove Asperger's and just combine it back into HFA High Functioning Autism. For me personally, I don't really care which term people use. More people have heard of Autism, but it is also more Stigmatized. Important to remember it is a Spectrum disorder. Aspires can be all across the spectrum thus we are not all going to present with the same symptoms..

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
======================================================================

[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus. commonly referred to as our "special interests"
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements) the term for this is stimming.
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood. This is an important characteristic to remember.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

to summarize, Aspires or Aspies are Usually quite intillegent and knowledgeable esp about their special interests, but socially inept and awkward...

Thanks I know how to google it up. Just wonder about parents, techers and psychologist or any adult people would recognizes the kind of pattern. like I have someone that I do notice in one child have some kind of patterns in this child's behavior. this child had already taken examined by psychology and ruled this child out and said nothing is wrong with this child. But i still see something is going on in this child.

Thanks I know how to google it up. Just wonder about parents, techers and psychologist or any adult people would recognizes the kind of pattern. like I have someone that I do notice in one child have some kind of patterns in this child's behavior. this child had already taken examined by psychology and ruled this child out and said nothing is wrong with this child. But i still see something is going on in this child.
Can be ADHD or many other causes. Also just because a kid acts a bit different does not mean they have an psych condition. Maybe they are just being kids. one problem today is society is obsessed with labeling anyone that is not part of the perfect NORMAL...

Can be ADHD or many other causes. Also just because a kid acts a bit different does not mean they have an psych condition. Maybe they are just being kids. one problem today is society is obsessed with labeling anyone that is not part of the perfect NORMAL...

yea it could be anything. This child has been examined and does not considered as a ADHD. Thank you for your input. All i want to know how can they recognizes the pattern. Since this child has no friends, and withdraw the kid groups and go on . :)

They could have traits but not enough traits to meed the clinical definition of Asperger's does not stop the parents from trying interventions used for Aspergers and see if child responds to it.

They could have traits but not enough traits to meed the clinical definition of Asperger's does not stop the parents from trying interventions used for Aspergers and see if child responds to it.

that's what they said to those parents about not meeting the critia of lists but they have doubts. I brought up becuase it seems to me that it is so similiar critia. I know im not doctor but trying to figure out how to solve this. thanks.. guess keep observing on this child and hope this child turns out ok.

I think I got diagnosed with atypical autism at about age 5. That was of course long ago. Then when Asperger's syndrome was added to the DSM I got that label.

I guess it will be going back to being a label of high functioning autism sometime in the future.

Of course I am so old and well conditioned that I am not really that badly affected at my age.

I appreciate your time for your inputs. I see. i guess doctors are able to identify this. mmm

My son has it plus other issues.

Asperger's is a big grey area, comes in many different forms. Unfortunately it took a long time for professionals to recognize it. Same thing applies to other medical & psychological conditions...remember the stories of bipolar disorder patients being treated by priests doing exorcisms? They thought it was an evil spirit until someone finally figured it out.

My son has it plus other issues.

Asperger's is a big grey area, comes in many different forms. Unfortunately it took a long time for professionals to recognize it. Same thing applies to other medical & psychological conditions...remember the stories of bipolar disorder patients being treated by priests doing exorcisms? They thought it was an evil spirit until someone finally figured it out.

I appreciate your inputs here. I believe something that it takes a long time for professionals to recgonize it. I think it's kind of frustrating not to know what goes through kids mind. so most of us as adult people have to be patience and learn more about kids' needs. It is interesting that you gave the good example about the evil spirit whatever kids have but really its something else than the spirit evil. Thanks.

I think I got diagnosed with atypical autism at about age 5. That was of course long ago. Then when Asperger's syndrome was added to the DSM I got that label.

I guess it will be going back to being a label of high functioning autism sometime in the future.

Of course I am so old and well conditioned that I am not really that badly affected at my age.

You are a Fossil eh? we should put ya in a museum :giggle: Just read an article about Rush Limbaugh where a radio station manager was asked the median age of Rush listeners. he said "deceased"

Back