Asl teaching: on behalf of the Deaf community

Some DEAF people feel that hearing people with ASL knowledge are "stealing" Deaf jobs as ASL teacher since hearing people are able to find a job easier than Deaf person.

This issue doesn't have anything to do with ASL competence. It has to do with how well the person fits into the administration for which he/she works based on employer discrimination. Teaching isn't just about the students. It is also about interaction within the school.

Do we solve the problem with more discrimination?

This issue doesn't have anything to do with ASL competence. It has to do with how well the person fits into the administration for which he/she works based on employer discrimination. Teaching isn't just about the students. It is also about interaction within the school.

Do we solve the problem with more discrimination?

Well, why did the ADA come about?

Well, why did the ADA come about?

For that exact reason, to handle employer interaction.

But, you can't apply that to people not perceived to have a disability. It's not a disability not to be a member of the Deaf community.

If you apply a standard of only Deaf teaching ASL, is it also OK to have only non-deaf teach English? Currently, that's illegal.

I had several Deaf teachers and once I had a hearing teacher.
The Deaf teachers were better.

I agree about having a Deaf teacher. There is a big difference between hearing ASL teachers and Deaf ASL teachers. The fluency and ease is totally different. I would never complain about my husband's signing (he's hearing), but his signing is extremely different than mine, a native user who learned at age 2. And, 42 years of signing as a native language makes a bigger difference than 42 years of signing as a second language.

When I was a kid. I learned ASL from Older native ASLers students at school than hearing teachers. :ugh3:

I have no argument with the idea of it being the best. But, my point (that I have stated several different ways in this thread) is wouldn't you rather have someone learn from a hearing teacher than NOT learn at all? I would like to hear from some of the rest of you besides Frisky who seems to want to keep those of us with no access to a Deaf instructor from learning it at all!

I used to live in an area where two cities/states bordered eachother. Both of them had a community college that offered ASL classes.

One of the programs were full of hearing teachers, the other was full of Deaf teachers.

The Deaf community was able to tell which student went to which school. The differences were obvious.

For example, the ones that went the Deaf taught classes did not have the deer in the headlights look. They also did not try to whisper to eachother figuring out what sign was what.

The quirks of the hearing taught population was too great for me. The straw that broke the camel's back for me were the hearing assigned sign names.

Probably the same kind of hearing people in power who don't know enough to properly hire people....

Not only that. The problem is widespread. Postsecondary education doesn't require for people to have teaching certifications. That results in lack of teaching skills in all areas in colleges/universities.

Ever have a Pol Sci (or any other subject) teacher droning on meaningless stuff the entire semester? Yep.

Back