ASL interpreters for Mortgage company--useful?

imaqt

Reaction score
Hi I'm hearing--- learning ASL,

My dad owns a mortgage company that started just over a year ago, and it has moved across Canada and is now moving into the states.

I've been asking him if he ever has Deaf clients, and how he explains all the different mortgage products and the contracts to them. The mortgage brokers are supposed to go over the contracts with any of their clients, not just people who are Deaf. I know that people can hire interpreters if there is an issue, but I heard there is a shortage here in Canada and I'm not exactly sure how it all works.

Anyways, my dad has spoken videos on his website explaining products and I have convinced him to get them translated into ASL so people who are Deaf can learn about them in their 1st language.

ALSO, he's thinking about contracting some interpreters so that if he has any Deaf clients he can communicate to them about their mortgage options and contract in ASL. The last thing that is really exciting is that he wants to offer a new mortgage product (it's been around in the states for a while but not in Canada) for a discounted price (i'm not really sure why, just to open up to a new market I guess). It's a smart software program that allows people to pay off their mortgage in about 7-15 years instead of 25 + years (so you drastically cut down the amount you would be paying on interest).

I'm wondering if this would be helpful to a lot of people or if it's not really too big of an issue. It's going to cost him a lot of money to get all of this set up so I want to make sure it's something people might actually be interested in. :wave: Thanks for reading !

Hi I'm hearing--- learning ASL,

My dad owns a mortgage company that started just over a year ago, and it has moved across Canada and is now moving into the states.

I've been asking him if he ever has Deaf clients, and how he explains all the different mortgage products and the contracts to them. The mortgage brokers are supposed to go over the contracts with any of their clients, not just people who are Deaf. I know that people can hire interpreters if there is an issue, but I heard there is a shortage here in Canada and I'm not exactly sure how it all works.

Anyways, my dad has spoken videos on his website explaining products and I have convinced him to get them translated into ASL so people who are Deaf can learn about them in their 1st language.

ALSO, he's thinking about contracting some interpreters so that if he has any Deaf clients he can communicate to them about their mortgage options and contract in ASL. The last thing that is really exciting is that he wants to offer a new mortgage product (it's been around in the states for a while but not in Canada) for a discounted price (i'm not really sure why, just to open up to a new market I guess). It's a smart software program that allows people to pay off their mortgage in about 7-15 years instead of 25 + years (so you drastically cut down the amount you would be paying on interest).

I'm wondering if this would be helpful to a lot of people or if it's not really too big of an issue. It's going to cost him a lot of money to get all of this set up so I want to make sure it's something people might actually be interested in. :wave: Thanks for reading !

First off- I wanted to say welcome to AD. Its really is admireable to provide more services to deaf/HOH and disabled.

However, not knowing how your program works I really cant say if there is a market for the deaf/hoh. I only can assume at the moment where the payments is much higher then normal convental mortages. I am not tryhing to speak for others but Ttis is something that MAJORITY of the deaf/hoh just dont have the ability to do.

If I knew about this program when I first bought this house, it would be paid off by now.

Perhaps you could explain some more about the program? Have you tried to test the deaf markets to see if it works?

Back