ASL Interpreter and my reading ability

rjr2006

Reaction score
I am having a meeting with a Deaf VR, and the woman in wheelchair in July. I asked Deaf VR to get me SEE or PSE interpreter, and my mom says if I use ASL interpreters too much then I will lose my English skills. Is that true?

Nope, I use ASL a lot now, and it has not affected my English at all. Just as much as speaking English wouldn't affect my ability to speak German.

You should be fine as long as you remember that signing ASL and reading/writing English are two separate and different languages. Many people who speak two or more languages do that all the time. A hearing person who is fluent in English in America, can also be fluent in Spanish when visiting Spain, and fluent in French when visiting France.

You can maintain and improve fluency in your English skills if you practice reading and writing often.

you're right, bc I use English as a primary language since I READ a lot on the internet. Also, during my junior year, I read 6 books outside school and 8 American Literature books in class. ASL is my SECONDARY language and I only use ASL if the deaf person speaks ASL.

English and Spanish are different so why should I use only one language since I know someone who is fluent in Italian language, and he speaks a little English. When he talks to me, he writes a little different from me. For example:

Me: Where is the interpreter?
Aide: SHE IS IN MAIN OFFICE SHE COME BACK SOON
Me: OK.
Aide: YOU NEED HELP?
Me: No thanks, and I will just wait for the interpreter to come back soon.

ASL is just a different language, and I don't plan to lose my English skills.

Yeah, just keep up with your reading and you won't lose any english skills!

Back