ASL 2 Student Project

dorothy5664

Reaction score
I am looking for some input for a project I am doing for my ASL 2 college course. The topic of my project/report are the legal aspects pertaining to the deaf world. The following are some questions I have come up with that I feel would help me along my way. The questions all pertain to individuals who are deaf.

1) Have you or anyone you know ever been falsely charged with a crime as the result of not being able to explain yourself or your actions?

2) Have you or anyone you know ever failed to receive medical attention in a timely manner as a result of a breakdown in communication.

3) Have you or anyone you know ever been taken advantage of financially as a result of your deafness?

4) Are you aware of any landmark cases that I can research regarding deaf individuals who have been wronged, prior to the 1960's.

5) Have you or anyone you know ever been placed in the wrong educational setting/program as a result of your deafness?

Thanks to all who respond. I may have more questions in the future.

I am looking for some input for a project I am doing for my ASL 2 college course. The topic of my project/report are the legal aspects pertaining to the deaf world. The following are some questions I have come up with that I feel would help me along my way. The questions all pertain to individuals who are deaf.

1) Have you or anyone you know ever been falsely charged with a crime as the result of not being able to explain yourself or your actions?

2) Have you or anyone you know ever failed to receive medical attention in a timely manner as a result of a breakdown in communication.

3) Have you or anyone you know ever been taken advantage of financially as a result of your deafness?

4) Are you aware of any landmark cases that I can research regarding deaf individuals who have been wronged, prior to the 1960's.

5) Have you or anyone you know ever been placed in the wrong educational setting/program as a result of your deafness?

Thanks to all who respond. I may have more questions in the future.

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Ohhhh that will be a tough one. But none that I can think of.

5. Yes.

Byrdie714,

Thank you for your help. If you don't mind answering a few more questions,

1) In what way were you placed in the wrong program?

2) Are your parents also deaf, and if so, do you feel this may have had an impact on your placement?

3) Were you born prior to 1973, between 1973 & 1990, after 1990?

Thanks again.

Byrdie714,

Thank you for your help. If you don't mind answering a few more questions,

1) In what way were you placed in the wrong program?

2) Are your parents also deaf, and if so, do you feel this may have had an impact on your placement?

3) Were you born prior to 1973, between 1973 & 1990, after 1990?

Thanks again.

1. I wasn't as I was homeschooled by both parents and grandmother.

2. Parents are both HOH and knew what worked and what didn't. Grandmother was a former teacher and speech therapist.

3. I was born 40 years ago--1968

Byrdie714,

My bad for assuming you were placed wrong. All I have ever heard in regards to deaf education, is either mainstreaming or resident schools. Is home-schooling a popular choice of the deaf community?

Byrdie714,

My bad for assuming you were placed wrong. All I have ever heard in regards to deaf education, is either mainstreaming or resident schools. Is home-schooling a popular choice of the deaf community?

I can't speak for everybody but for our family--it was fitting because of my parents being medical missionaries.

Chris' Mom,

In what way do you disagree with your son's placement? Was it ultimately the school district's choice, and do you think their decision had anything to do with the difference in financial costs of the programs?

Thanks

Back