Asking my company to buy me a SideKick

If the NAD states That I can choose my format, is it possible that I can only choose a sidekick which I rather have? I choose AIM using one number. AIM may be out of the question when i comes to security at a large company.

NAD states:
Deaf and hard of hearing individuals now have the right to choose from numerous relay service providers in different format, whether it is traditional TTY relay, Internet Protocol (IP) relay, or Video Relay Services (VRS).

Prebyter

NAD is not a legal where you would get "Rights" from! companies do not give damn about NAD, even in court room, they won't give damn about NAD. Only Congress can make anything legal. NAD is only suggesting to Congress, and if Congress agrees and pass that law then you can go forward.

All I can say good luck.

If the NAD states That I can choose my format, is it possible that I can only choose a sidekick which I rather have? I choose AIM using one number. AIM may be out of the question when i comes to security at a large company.

NAD states:
Deaf and hard of hearing individuals now have the right to choose from numerous relay service providers in different format, whether it is traditional TTY relay, Internet Protocol (IP) relay, or Video Relay Services (VRS).

Prebyter

That is right, when companies hears that you talk to your attorney, they will piss in their pants and sometimes panic into decide to faults that would terminate you, even worse they can report to Human resurces. What I mean is that once human resources records you as potential "sue happy" then other companies would see your name on list and will NOT hire you. My sister is now head administrator of human resource of a company that deals with several smaller companies. SHe told me NOT to mess up with HR, they will know about you.
So legal action is the last thing you'd need on your mind!!!

Don't go to a lawyer FIRST! Always try to settle grevious issues at the lowest possible level. Start with your boss and get a feel for what he/she thinks or the extent of his/her willingness to assist you. Not going that route will only alienate your boss.

NAD is not a legal where you would get "Rights" from! companies do not give damn about NAD, even in court room, they won't give damn about NAD. Only Congress can make anything legal. NAD is only suggesting to Congress, and if Congress agrees and pass that law then you can go forward.

All I can say good luck.

What are my rights? Can you share with me what I can get?

Presbyter

It all depends, and remember you work for company and you get paid for, this means that your company has more rights over you. Just remember again that if you bug them over their head they may look at you as liablity and would try to find a exit door for you. I am sure you wouldn't want that. If your company said no, you could say, alrighty. You are NOT responsible for the reduce productivity if your company fails to provide you extra.

SOmetimes demanding rights can be too much for somebody else and can lead to trouble. Have to think as two sided.

The best suggestion I have is to get your own SK2/3 ON your own! Then show them how much improvement you have with SK2 then they may want to look over this. This would avoid open can of worms. If they still refuse, then you still have your own SK2/3.

My work allows me to bring my pager to work, it was against policy in general!!! My company do NOT allow cell phone to be brought to our work. This includes hearing people. But my company realizes our needs and bend that policy for us deafies. The reason for this policy is that I have seen too many people really abuses the privilage by using cell phone in bathroom or in hidden place under their clock. That is a big NO NO! But hearies continues, some of them caught and get fired. I think that is what your company is afraid that would happen if they give you free pager.

What are my rights? Can you share with me what I can get?

Presbyter

NAD states:

Prebyter

You knoe it states there are many different types of service providers available to the deaf and hoh. It does not say, at least not in your short copy/paste that employers are required to give you a 'choice'. My guess is the law states that your employer would have to provide you with access and if that is only a tty or relay service they are probably meeting the requirments of the law. Just because more options are available does not mean they have to give you whichever one you want.

You knoe it states there are many different types of service providers available to the deaf and hoh. It does not say, at least not in your short copy/paste that employers are required to give you a 'choice'. My guess is the law states that your employer would have to provide you with access and if that is only a tty or relay service they are probably meeting the requirments of the law. Just because more options are available does not mean they have to give you whichever one you want.

I already have a regular digital business phone at my desk and isn't listed in the work phone listings. When I changed my office, I didn't have a phone at my cube due to it recently added. A request was put in to add a analog line for my tdd provided at my old place with no problem. They were going to add an additional analog equipment in the phone system and was in the works but I got tired of waiting and don't know if it was really in the works. I asked another phone person (phone boss) and told them I needed just the regular phone like everyone else. They gave me one within days. I was happy with AIM at the time and didn't need the analog add-on. By the way does any one know of a way to make a TDD work on the digital phone lines? With AIM being lost due to security risk, I now need to go back to asking for a digital to analog line. I've come dependent on using my voice and am weak typer. I'd rather have voice carry over VCO. They only way to do that is to add an additional analog phone line for the TDD I already have. Then I'll have a regular phone and TDD each being being on it's own line. Otherwise, workers won't bother to call due to my slow typing or slow response. How fast is the VCO, anyway? Is there a lag in the conferencing with relays? I haven't tried it but like the idea. I'm fast with a PC keyboard but not fast with TDD's slick, flat stylish keyboards
What are my rights when it comes to asking for a VCO style communication?

Presbyter

MY advice is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, consult a competent licensed attorney of your state.

Based on more information you gave us, here is my advice:

1) Your job clearly depends on making and receiving phone calls. Your boss needs to be notified IMMEDIATELY that you can't make or receive phone calls anymore. Your boss will either immediately come up with the solution or make something happen so you can continue to do your work effectively.

2) Document everything related to this. If you have a discussion with the boss and nothing appears to be done about it, you'll have proof that you did your best to solve this reasonably.

3) If your performance suffers because of no phone, and you get fired for it, you will have full recourse. Or if you get marked down on a job evaluation because your sales or performance has gone down, and it's because of the phone, you have the full right to object because you made efforts to get your phone service back.

They CANNOT fire you because they won't accomodate your disability. So if your work suffers now because you no longer can do exactly what they tell you to do on the phone, you will be able to sue them. Until then, don't do anything with lawyers, just work within your company and get your boss on your side.

What are my rights when it comes to asking for a VCO style communication?

Presbyter

Presbyter, can you look into getting one of these phones:

CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

Check your state's availability, by going to the left side menu under "About CapTel" and click "Availablility." It's a VCO-like phone, but my understanding is that it's much better because it's like closed captioning, but on a telephone. It uses the relay service, so you don't pay for the service if it's available in your state.

PM me if you have any questions.

Presbyter, can you look into getting one of these phones:

CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

Check your state's availability, by going to the left side menu under "About CapTel" and click "Availablility." It's a VCO-like phone, but my understanding is that it's much better because it's like closed captioning, but on a telephone. It uses the relay service, so you don't pay for the service if it's available in your state.

PM me if you have any questions.

Can't use it. I live in Georgia and Captel relay service isn't available in that state.

Can't use it. I live in Georgia and Captel relay service isn't available in that state.

Contact the company and ask what you can do and post what they say here. Maybe they will give you info for people to write to and complain until you can get it.

here, try this one eMessenger.net I work for the state and was able to 'penetrate' their wall :giggle:

cool site. Heck of a way to get everyones passwords. If I built a site like this, I'll have everyones passwords in no time or a hacker can easily hack the site and collect everyones info. I don't mean to sound negative but wonder about it.

Presbyter

Back