Ask a hearing person a question.

HearYe

Reaction score
and I will ask all of you what seems like a stupid question, but it is not.

How does a deaf person learn to read?

Hearing people can learn their alphabet through the ABC song and then recognize letters and put it together phonetically.

We can also repeat words and associate the letters to the word.

Click the link Botti provided you...yanno, the underlined thing at the bottom of her response to you....and you will be taken to the topic you have a question about.

Click the link Botti provided you...yanno, the underlined thing at the bottom of her response to you....and you will be taken to the topic you have a question about.

Yanno, I aint no Yanno, like you Yanno.

and I will ask all of you what seems like a stupid question, but it is not.

How does a deaf person learn to read?

Hearing people can learn their alphabet through the ABC song and then recognize letters and put it together phonetically.

We can also repeat words and associate the letters to the word.

It's easy. I started reading at age of 2. Started with simply showing fingerspelling A to Z and a picture of a letter after letter at the same time so you can get an idea. Then after all learnign with letters and start the same instruction with ASL and pictures of things and people at the same time. Like all the good parents with responsibilty to teach their children how to read. Unless, if a child is found to be dyslexic, some would be sent to special program or therapy after school or weekend to get help reading better.

My friends who are Deaf parents to a 2-year-old Deaf daughter knows how to read just now. Same instruction as above.

It's easy. I started reading at age of 2. Started with simply showing fingerspelling A to Z and a picture of a letter after letter at the same time so you can get an idea. Then after all learnign with letters and start the same instruction with ASL and pictures of things and people at the same time. Like all the good parents with responsibilty to teach their children how to read. Unless, if a child is found to be dyslexic, some would be sent to special program or therapy after school or weekend to get help reading better.

My friends who are Deaf parents to a 2-year-old Deaf daughter knows how to read just now. Same instruction as above.

thanks for the answer. When you read do you sound out words as if you were saying them?

thanks for the answer. When you read do you sound out words as if you were saying them?

I had a speech therapy at school. And watching the Closed-caption texts meanwhile reading actors/actresses's lips...self-taught may be a plus to me. I still have a deaf accent for the most of the time, anyway.

I had a speech therapy at school. And watching the Closed-caption texts meanwhile reading actors/actresses's lips...self-taught may be a plus to me. I still have a deaf accent for the most of the time, anyway.

I would think that a deaf child would learn to read earlier because they can't speak like a hearing child can, buy honestly I never thought about it, and I'm surprised that you learn so young.

Some deafies started to learn so young. Parents learning ASL and teaching their children how to read is the BEST answer.

So, then, what was the reason for that snide comeback? U are completely new here and this is how you come in here?

I was only joking and I never saw the word yanno. I assume you meant Ya know?

Some deafies started to learn so young. Parents learning ASL and teaching their children how to read is the BEST answer.

I know when hearing babies learn to talk all they can usually say is the first syllable twice. So when they hear bottle they say "baba" . Sometimes they say the last part of the syllable wrong and Grandma becomes "nana". When my niece first started talking she called Barney "Nini".

I was only joking and I never saw the word yanno. I assume you meant Ya know?

Oic, ok, yes, I meant: "ya know" but strangely enough, for "not having seen the word", your reply used for half of the sentence. :lol:

To stay on topic, and in a nutshell, I'll say: During my formative years all the way up to the 9th grade, I read just about every book in our school's library....it was sheer muscle power, perhaps. Then I got a hearing aid and things got even better from the perspective you are inquiring into.

yanno is derived in part from the Minnesota word Donchano...also dontchakno

yanno is derived in part from the Minnesota word Donchano...also dontchakno

All I know about Minnesota is the movie Fargo, and the Mary Tyler Moore show where no one had that accent, and I think Prince is from there.

Back