Aren't we wasting time with HAs...

Fuzzy, I am referring to those with milder losses and their residul hearing is sufficient to be helped with HAs.

Oh, okay, sorry. In that case, that's the risk I think would be well worth too, because seeying how I've heard with my HAs all my life (which is considered "wonderful") I know it's a hell lot of work to use that 'residual' at any stage.

With the milder loss, we struggle. With the greater loss, we still struggle but we have learned to copy from the milder losses. we got practiced at hearing.
and it's always one eternal circle of forever struggle of losing hearing and learning to copy with it with the help of previous experience.

Why not cut the struggle when its still at its mildest point?
Maybe they'll invent something one day.

Fuzzy

Maybe they'll invent something one day.

Actually, they are working with neural implant. It's said to be much better than cochlear implants. The difference is that it's incredibly small and can be slipped under the skin.

My point exactly. This is "old school" way of thinking. I say, why bother with "enough", if more than "enough" is available?

I don't know Fuzzy. I do prefer the CI over the sound of the HA. But it is more cost intially so insurance companies aren't going to pay for something when a cheaper alternative if available.

That's what I am talking about. I wear HAs since childhood, I know too well how one hears thru them. It's nowhere close as CI even if one perfected listening thru these HAs.
HAs only amplify the sounds we HEAR, the rest is brain's memory. If one wants to hear what's no more possible thru HA - and with HA you only hear what you can AMPLIFY - a CI is gonna do that, so why not take an advantage of it.

IMO, sticking to HAs in the era of new technological advances is like sticking to the hand winded, two pieces telephone when cellular phones are on the market.. you can hear thru both, but...

Fuzzy

Perhaps time will change things regarding the use of a CI earlier. But for now the many options available to those who want to hear are amazing. And new things are continually being developed. It's exciting to live in a time where many better options are given for hearing. :)

Vallee, I'm sorry but I think we are getting confused here. Residual hearing means how ever much hearing you have left MINUS the HA and CI. So until they come up with a way to BOTH implant and save the residual hearing at the same time, I believe the side(s) you were implanted in has(have) no residual hearing left.

It is quite possible to have residule hearing with a CI. I do. I can actually understand speech if it is spoken directly into the ear , not sure exactly how loud my husband speaks but it is possible. Now how long it will last I don't know. But I did even test as hearing lower frequencies about 3 months post activation. (without CI)

Actually, they are working with neural implant. It's said to be much better than cochlear implants. The difference is that it's incredibly small and can be slipped under the skin.

Yes and I'd be much more supportive of those implants as it doesn't destroy much of the residential hearing in people who have milder losses.

It is quite possible to have residule hearing with a CI. I do. I can actually understand speech if it is spoken directly into the ear , not sure exactly how loud my husband speaks but it is possible. Now how long it will last I don't know. But I did even test as hearing lower frequencies about 3 months post activation. (without CI)

me too! I mean, not CI but the residual. it's amazing, isn't it, considering that I know some deaf with less hearing loss than mine but who can not understand when spoken into the ear directly. and in my case, it doesn't have to be loud speech. just normal.
I think it's possible because of good brain memory - the brain remember sounds.

Fuzzy

I still have hearing wo the CIs. I did not have a lot to start with, but I still have some residual hearing.

Valerie

You mean without?...how is that possible?...

Sorry, but I don't understand how it is possible. If the nerves that are supposed to send signals to the brain aren't working how can anything get through?

:giggle:, I'm more confused as you are, but I will be seeing my Audiologist next month and I will ask her about this...

That's interesting, Jag. Why is it I've always heard that, and it makes sense, too, when one is implanted, what residual hearing there was prior is now gone because during the implantation, the hair cells were destroyed? Are you saying we (maybe just some of us) could hear some in the absence of those hairs?

I am TRYING to get a CI. Right now my roadblock is insurance. I need to talk to Human Resource and get more direct information on insurance at work (she hasn't been answering my emails, which I'm not happy about. And I do want to know how much I would have to pay for insurance.... a question she has NOT answered, which is irritating). Once I get the insurance thing figured out, then I will work on getting the CT scan, THEN make another appointment with CI center in Denver with the surgeon to discuss more about the implant.

but until then, I'm stuck with this hearing aid.

That's interesting, Jag. Why is it I've always heard that, and it makes sense, too, when one is implanted, what residual hearing there was prior is now gone because during the implantation, the hair cells were destroyed? Are you saying we (maybe just some of us) could hear some in the absence of those hairs?

I posted an excerpt from a medical journal recently in one of these threads about a newer surgical technique that allows for the retention of residual hearing in the lower frequencies, provided that the candidate had significant residual hearing in the lower frequencies prior to implantaion. Given the late hour and the fact that I just finished writing a reearch literature review, I can't remember exactly which thread it was, though. Sorry.

No, that's great, Jillio; thanks, this will suffice. That's great they are able to do this when its possible.

I am TRYING to get a CI. Right now my roadblock is insurance. I need to talk to Human Resource and get more direct information on insurance at work (she hasn't been answering my emails, which I'm not happy about. And I do want to know how much I would have to pay for insurance.... a question she has NOT answered, which is irritating). Once I get the insurance thing figured out, then I will work on getting the CT scan, THEN make another appointment with CI center in Denver with the surgeon to discuss more about the implant.

but until then, I'm stuck with this hearing aid.

If you have insurance questions or denials ask Let them hear. They may be able to assist you. letthemhear.org

My understanding is the reason the Freedom array is curved is to reduce the impact when inserted, thus perserving some of the hearing. In my case the hearing is still there but really not very useful.

I posted an excerpt from a medical journal recently in one of these threads about a newer surgical technique that allows for the retention of residual hearing in the lower frequencies, provided that the candidate had significant residual hearing in the lower frequencies prior to implantaion. Given the late hour and the fact that I just finished writing a reearch literature review, I can't remember exactly which thread it was, though. Sorry.

Sounds like you're talking about the hybrid (I think) CI. One which would have you useing a CI and a HA for the same ear....to much stuff on one ear. Mine is just the regurlar one. The new one would have been useless for me since my greatest loss was low frequencies.

I have digital BTE hearing aid. I am happy with it and hear more clear. For me I don't want CI but for other deaf want it then that is fine. I don't have any problem with that. I love to hear music and sing along, I am not singing with my voice just lip synch. But I am still cannot communicate on the phone but I am happy with TTY or VP. I can talk but not always clear so I would repeat again. I understand some deaf happy with HA, CI or without and that is fine with me. If they are happy that way, then that it.

Sounds like you're talking about the hybrid (I think) CI. One which would have you useing a CI and a HA for the same ear....to much stuff on one ear. Mine is just the regurlar one. The new one would have been useless for me since my greatest loss was low frequencies.

No actually, it is a modification on the actual surgical procedure. It has worked well in slected adults, and they are just beginning to use it with kids. There was a caution in the article that not all surgeons have experience or training in this particular technique, though, and it is not a given that lower frequency hearing will be preserved.

Sure it requires surgery but the quality of hearing is without hesistation so much better. So why still settle for HAs?Fuzzy
hmmmm... Is it really? From what I understand in certian cases it may even become worse. I am no expert but given what I have learned and experienced it seems to me that a CI is still somewhat of a crap shoot. Do the ends justify the means? How would you feel if you knew that (just an example) 50% of implants either failed and made your residual hearing worse. Would you think it's worth the risk? And do you honestly believe you have access to accurate up to date information to even make an informed decision?

I have digital BTE hearing aid. I am happy with it and hear more clear. For me I don't want CI but for other deaf want it then that is fine. I don't have any problem with that. I love to hear music and sing along, I am not singing with my voice just lip synch. But I am still cannot communicate on the phone but I am happy with TTY or VP. I can talk but not always clear so I would repeat again. I understand some deaf happy with HA, CI or without and that is fine with me. If they are happy that way, then that it.

Yep and why question that? We are all different and dont desire for the same things.

My understanding is the reason the Freedom array is curved is to reduce the impact when inserted, thus perserving some of the hearing. In my case the hearing is still there but really not very useful.

Understood, thanks, Jag. I had, in the inner recesses of my mind, something I saw a while back and that was that of some kind of improvement of the surgical procedure; Jillio jogged my memory on that.

Back