Are you interested Dog Show?

:gpost:

Serijules...

<< Why on EARTH would anyone support the breeding of a dog with such an obvious fault? >>

that is many years ago about late 1800's - sound like sports and need more professional dogs without faults - that's what the man's idea then the boards support that idea..read the AKC history

www.akc.org/history.cfm

<<...Deaf puppies are just as wonderful of pets as any other puppy, but they are not breeding quality, and breeding pet quality puppies is not an ethical practice..It takes more than excellent conformation to be a breeding quality dog. >>

I agree with this..we think deaf dog is equal with hearing dog...the AKC has struggled to understand deafness...One AKC rep said "Compeletely blind and deaf dogs have never been allowed in AKC competition. Partially deaf and blind dogs have been allowed in Companion Events (obedience, tracking, agility, and rally) for many years."

in 1998, the AKC boards finally allow deaf handler or owner..that's too long to wait for approving...almost 100 years later...I dont know who the groups did discuss the AKC boards

<< I totally support trying to get them to change the rules to allow deaf dogs to compete in agility, obedience, etc, but NOT for conformation. >>

yes and no - it is nice if deaf dog allow in conformation..otherwise one thing is problem from hereditary condition BUT sometimes, deaf dog is not genetic
..it's tough discussion for AKC - they are scared if deaf dog is disease but it's not true - some way other deaf dog comes from defect (albino)..we need more confront with them "looks bad with deaf dog" I've talked to AKC rep three years ago...she understood what I explain..she had to follow the AKC rule..that's sad

I tried to explain AKC rep that if deaf dog is doing good at conformation class then why not? his body shows beautiful - not worry what inside deaf ear..the judge could not see..for good example Heather Whitestone, first woman with a disability to win the Miss American Pageant 1995...we will not give up about deaf dog...ONE DAY!!

FreeWilly said:
I tried to explain AKC rep that if deaf dog is doing good at conformation class then why not? his body shows beautiful - not worry what inside deaf ear..the judge could not see..for good example Heather Whitestone, first woman with a disability to win the Miss American Pageant 1995...we will not give up about deaf dog...ONE DAY!!

"not worry what inside deaf ear". Most deafness in dogs is caused by a hereditary issue, which is passed on to offspring. IMO It's extremely irresponsible to NOT worry about it. There is no way for the judge to know if it is hereditary or caused by an accident or some such thing, so it would make no sense to allow some deaf dogs and not others as there is no honest way to prove easily what is the cause. It takes more than a "beautiful body" to make a breeding quality dog, and conformation is all about showing to prove for breeding quality. If they could show deaf dogs but ban them from being bred, I could support that, but since conformation dogs are required to be intact, I don't see that happening. You have to look at the bigger picture, what is more important...attempting to protect the breed from unethical breeding practices, or letting a once-in-a-blue-moon deaf dog compete just because of some absurd "equal rights" issue? IMO, the AKC has their priorities straight on this one. I said it before and I say it again...it is not discrimination, it's good old common sense.

I'm with the judge on this one...i don't see it either.

Serijules

my feeling doesn't want to discuss deeply about deaf dog for AKC Dog Show..I grew up and attended to the dog show very often..in the conformation ring, my mother was very strict to follow the AKC standard for our GSDs all the times..she was great breeder as her name know well among the GSD people in '60 to '80..

To me, deaf person I am..I believe the deaf dog deserves it to be promotion for one reason if deaf dog is good health...I tell you that AKC standard dogs never never be perfect 100%..not talking about hereditary that relates deaf dog..that's different purpose..Plus it is hard for AKC boards thinking narrow..make them feeling that waste their times and not worthy..I understand that part..

End this story..I want to tell you one thing about one deaf ear dog that can shown..

Other AKC rep said "A Dalmation can hear in one ear and be deaf in the other ear (called unilateral hearing) and this dog usually acts exactly like a hearing dog. You can't tell from looking at the dog and you can't tell by the dog's actions. And, indeed, this dog is not called deaf because he does have functional hearing - he can hear fine in one ear. So, such a dog can be shown."

I heard the discussion from other list - talked about one blind eye, or deaf ear that can shown..our dog's Hammer was champion - his one toe cut off because it was bad infection..he still was shown in the ring...Never be perfect as all humans do.

In the case with your GSD, the resulting imperfection was not something that could be passed on to offspring, so such things I have no issues with. NO dog is perfect, but the purpose of conformation showing is to strive for as close to perfect as possible. I just simply don't feel that defending an ideal with many flaws and potential to hurt the breed integrety just because of a common disability is a logical move.

I've stated my opinion and you, yours (well worded and calmly I may add, thank you for that!) so no need to debate further, but I'm just the type of person that believes in supporting issues based on facts and common sense more so than heart and common kinship, so it's very hard for me to understand.

Seri

<<...but the purpose of conformation showing is to strive for as close to perfect as possible >>

yes, you are right...Are you novice?

Our dogs (only two brothers in one litter) Hawkeye/Hammer were good producers in late '70...their kids in 1st to 6th generations multiplied numerous champions and ROMs (Register of Merits)..my mother was gone...the H boys were 6 years old...still keep growing on their all generations....

Hope you will be success, too...God bless

FreeWilly said:
<<...but the purpose of conformation showing is to strive for as close to perfect as possible >>

yes, you are right...Are you novice?

No, I don't show, I'm just a huge advocate of ethical breeding, and conformation showing is a major necessity of ethical breeding, thus I do a lot of research into it. I do not support breeders that do not do full health testing, nor those that breed unpointed, non-CH dogs (amoungst other things).

I feel there are more than enough horrible breeders out there that are doing a huge disservice to our breed, which I think there is absolutely no excuse for, including ignorance.

No I haven't done that before with dog shows but I have been there at the
American Quarter Horse Show that I was train my horse and showing in the ring in my younger years back in 1970s to 1980s. It was hard work with the horses with handling and training and grooming and take care of the leather bridles and halters and saddles (english and western). I would love to train the dogs but I prefer to have them to be fun and good pets instead of hard work and long travel anywhere for every weekend (I have been there before with horses). I live in California for different places in one state.

I wish I have new horses..they are so beautiful..
I was young when my mom's friend visited us...she rode her own horse from her home to our home..not know how far but her horse is so big..you know the horse can gait as the dog can gait <G>

Yes, it's very hard to training and grooming everything before the dogs can enter the show...we helped my mother's business, like our teams till we grew up and move away..my mother stopped breeding program and wanted to become Judge but she passed away at 44 age..we had hard time through but we did not expect our two brother dogs' all generations multipied more champions..hope I will set a small business for dog show one day..it will keep my mom's kennel name will carry on

We attended to the National for only German Shepherd Dogs in North Carolina last month...other group breeds in different states..they had own schedule...In North Carolina is a nice place...NO HURRICANE

I use to show and breed dogs many years ago and I believe I was a first deaf handler in Western Australia. I had two dogs and they are Belgian Tervueren Shepherd. I used to attended dog shows just about every weekend to show my dogs. One of my dog has become an Australian Champion twice and have many many sashes and medal. He almost become a Companion Dog in the obedience trail but died 4 days before the trail. I was very heartache when he died cos he was my favorite and we were inseperatable. He had cancer in his spleen and he died in my arms. My other dog didn't make it to be a champ as she wasn't interested in the show and she is more a homely dog. She did get some sashes and a medal too but not as many as my first one. She also had two litters of puppies before retiring. She passed away 4 yrs ago from old age at 13 yrs old. They both gave me lovely memories in the past.

sultan0fc.jpg

This is my favorite boy, sadly missed but memories still lives on.

Back