Apple to Advance iPhone with both Text-to-Speech & Speech-to-Text Converters

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
The user is offered the possibility of communicating with the incoming phone call using text-to-speech and speech-to-text capabilities. If receiving a phone call in a loud restaurant or quiet meeting, you might be able to choose the ability to answer using text messaging. The text would later be then turned into speech for the caller to hear, and the caller's verbal responses would likewise be converted back into text.

Apple to Advance iPhone with both Text-to-Speech & Speech-to-Text Converters - Patently Apple

This could really be helpful to deaf people, too! Not needed to write note or speak from hearing person.

This will be brilliant! My hunch is that it's still closer to science-fiction rather than science-fact. Companies like to get their patents in well in advance. To me, it looks like Apple are trying to catch up on Google and their voice-to-text technology. It's great news for deaf/hoh people that these two technology giants are racing each other to develop phone software that can reliably convert speech to text, and vice-versa.

This will be brilliant! My hunch is that it's still closer to science-fiction rather than science-fact. Companies like to get their patents in well in advance. To me, it looks like Apple are trying to catch up on Google and their voice-to-text technology. It's great news for deaf/hoh people that these two technology giants are racing each other to develop phone software that can reliably convert speech to text, and vice-versa.
Now, if they could come up with a speech to text conversion one could use in a large setting (i.e. auditorium) or room whereas one would not have a good view of the speaker? And would also not involve a 3rd party? Like at a seminar or lecture, etc.

I'm new here and a bit confused. (well, always a bit confused) So called Smart Phones have had the ability to convert speech to text for email and text messaging for quite a while. My friends have said phones and report this works well. So why not convert speech from an incoming call to text so I can read it? (no need to send it anywhere) Seems like this is a no-brainer, yet I cannot find an app that does it. Is the sound quality that bad for an incoming call that the phone can't figure it out?

Back