anyone else here have dread locks?

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
Anyone else here have dread locks? If so, what method did you or are you using to do your dreads? I started mine about 3 months ago. They are coming along fine. :D I don't use wax, as that will tend to make them hold dirt and possibly even cause them to mildew and rot. I got an all natural recipe for a lock spray and locking gel that works beautifully and washes out really easily.

I don't have them but my ex had a phase where she wanted them. I as a. Girlier girl couldn't live with my hair in a mess like that... I'd die... lol! But she wanted them, started them and I HAAAAATED them on her oh dear lord... she had to cut them out after she decided they weren't looking as cool as she hoped, and people were rejecting her for employment. Plus I think my constant nagging about how much I hated them wore on her a bit. =P heheh... to each their own, but I'm not sure as any dollar amount could make me do that! =P I know she went to a stylist... they did it... omg... expensive...

I don't have them but my ex had a phase where she wanted them. I as a. Girlier girl couldn't live with my hair in a mess like that... I'd die... lol! But she wanted them, started them and I HAAAAATED them on her oh dear lord... she had to cut them out after she decided they weren't looking as cool as she hoped, and people were rejecting her for employment. Plus I think my constant nagging about how much I hated them wore on her a bit. =P heheh... to each their own, but I'm not sure as any dollar amount could make me do that! =P I know she went to a stylist... they did it... omg... expensive...

A stylist to do dreads? She would have saved herself a shit-ton of money by doing them the neglect/natural method...or by doing the "twist and rip method at home. Not to mention they would have looked a LOT better. Dreadies aren't an instant hair style...they take time and patience before they look good. Usually takes about a year for them to start looking like the sort of nice dreads she probably had in mind.

I'm not a girlie girl...I don't do make-up, curling irons, nail polish, etc. LOL Very much a hippie chick. :P

They looked like dreads... no doubt about that... I just didn't like them... I'm not girlie nails and such... but I'm girlie makeup, hair fixed and stuff... I'm a tweener =P

They looked like dreads... no doubt about that... I just didn't like them... I'm not girlie nails and such... but I'm girlie makeup, hair fixed and stuff... I'm a tweener =P

pix pix pix

I don't mind the look of them, personally I wouldn't want to deal with them though. I actually like the feeling of brushing my hair, having someone play with my hair. They do look cool though, I dated a guy with, they stunk, badly, which just adds to my aversions of having them myself.

I don't mind the look of them, personally I wouldn't want to deal with them though. I actually like the feeling of brushing my hair, having someone play with my hair. They do look cool though, I dated a guy with, they stunk, badly, which just adds to my aversions of having them myself.

Ever tried these? They feel INCREDIBLE and you can't do that with dreads!
images

What was he putting on his dreads? Did he wax them? Because I have been told by several folks over at a dreads site that doing that can cause all kinds of problems. So, even though I got them started with the 'twist and rip method" I quit doing that and just letting them do the natural/neglect method and using only baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash my hair with. My hair, even though I have some nice little dreads going on, feel fantastic. I spritz them with some sea salt solution to help tighten them before I do the baking soda soak to absorb the dirt and grime; (you let it set for about 10-20 minutes how ever long it take you to shave,LOL) And then you rinse it first with the apple cider vinegar and then immediately do a clear water rinse till my hair feel good and rinsed. I usally have really oily hair, but washing my hair this way has wash times down to 1 to 2 times a week. And my hair feels nice and is beginning to dread up nicely.

Ever tried these? They feel INCREDIBLE and you can't do that with dreads!
images

:laugh2: Oh yes...I have and they are just lovely. But, I am growing these dreads for other reasons than looks. Dunno if I'll ever cut them off....maybe some far day down the road, but I got them going and I'm sticking with them. I thought a LONG time about making this decision. I didn't make it lightly. :)

:laugh2: Oh yes...I have and they are just lovely. But, I am growing these dreads for other reasons than looks. Dunno if I'll ever cut them off....maybe some far day down the road, but I got them going and I'm sticking with them. I thought a LONG time about making this decision. I didn't make it lightly. :)

What are your personal reasons?

Well, hard to explain, really. I suppose it would be more accurate to say spiritual reasons. A lot of it has to do with losing my hearing and having to refind my place and purpose in life...and society. Like I said, lots of reasons and a bit complicated for me to explain.

Well, hard to explain, really. I suppose it would be more accurate to say spiritual reasons. A lot of it has to do with losing my hearing and having to refind my place and purpose in life...and society. Like I said, lots of reasons and a bit complicated for me to explain.

I can agree with that. I became spiritual too in my own way. I follow a lot of Buddhism and I pick and choose a number of other faiths if only for the uplifting or guiding stories.

I can agree with that. I became spiritual too in my own way. I follow a lot of Buddhism and I pick and choose a number of other faiths if only for the uplifting or guiding stories.

Cool. I'm pretty eclectic myself. I just pretty much try to "go with the flow". Life is too short to waste. So, you can either see things as positive as possible and the opportunities that come in when life throws you a curve ball.

It isn't always easy, but it's still pretty much what you make of it.

What was he putting on his dreads? Did he wax them? Because I have been told by several folks over at a dreads site that doing that can cause all kinds of problems. So, even though I got them started with the 'twist and rip method" I quit doing that and just letting them do the natural/neglect method and using only baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash my hair with. My hair, even though I have some nice little dreads going on, feel fantastic. I spritz them with some sea salt solution to help tighten them before I do the baking soda soak to absorb the dirt and grime; (you let it set for about 10-20 minutes how ever long it take you to shave,LOL) And then you rinse it first with the apple cider vinegar and then immediately do a clear water rinse till my hair feel good and rinsed. I usally have really oily hair, but washing my hair this way has wash times down to 1 to 2 times a week. And my hair feels nice and is beginning to dread up nicely.

Of I have no idea, that was like 18 years ago. I do really like them, and they probably have much better products for them was available then :) I would seriously think about having them if I was afraid the feeling of them would drive me nuts, heck tags in my clothes can bother the hell out me. If I was black I'd grow the biggest damn Afro I could, love those too ;)

Of I have no idea, that was like 18 years ago. I do really like them, and they probably have much better products for them was available then :) I would seriously think about having them if I was afraid the feeling of them would drive me nuts, heck tags in my clothes can bother the hell out me. If I was black I'd grow the biggest damn Afro I could, love those too ;)

Well, so far I've found it best to not use any thing other than baking soda, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Saving a fair amount of money not buying a shit load of styling products too. LOL I either sun dry my hair or use a hair dryer on the low heat setting. Can't let the dreads retain any moisture or else they can actually mildew and rot. Yargh.

Well there's always perms....

Back