Anyone Else Feel Like They Have Asperger Syndrome?

I love that map. It is a good example of my interest. But I prefer color and great detail.

we shall delve into it more later. off to home now.... :cool2:

I believe Fred was saying I am stupid for a love of kiddie lit. There is no such thing as Potter land. There would only be England or Hogwarts, or the world of Muggles or Magic.

I am however resiliant. Fred was definitly being mean.

Oh and although I know it is boring and I should not tell long tales of my interests, I especially like historic maps of England and Ireland.

No, No, No! I did not intend to make it sound like that! My appologies if it did! Apparently I did not phrase my question correctly if even Jillio thought so! I was sincerely wanting to know if they were Potter maps! You collect Potter lit so my assumption was that you would want map collections of the land you were studying! My daughter collected maps of the Land of Pern when she read Ann McAffery books. And I collect kids work books in Spanish because the adult ones are too complicated. I am sooooo sorry I made you cry. (On the other hand I thought your comment was witty and pithy) Please forgive me!

No, No, No! I did not intend to make it sound like that! My appologies if it did! Apparently I did not phrase my question correctly if even Jillio thought so! I was sincerely wanting to know if they were Potter maps! You collect Potter lit so my assumption was that you would want map collections of the land you were studying! My daughter collected maps of the Land of Pern when she read Ann McAffery books. And I collect kids work books in Spanish because the adult ones are too complicated. I am sooooo sorry I made you cry. (On the other hand I thought your comment was witty and pithy) Please forgive me!

I forgive you, and apologize for my pithy comment.

Perhaps the intent was not to be insensitive. However, to make light of the symptoms of Asperger's, or the behaviors of those that have it, is indeed, insensitive.
I was simply asking a sincere question in response to her collection.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter : No Sheep!
- 4:33pm
Jul 9, 2007 ... Harry Potter (2) - Wizarding World of Harry Potter land (2) - pictures of Harry Potter land at Universal (2) - map of harry potter world ...
nosheep.net/story/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ - 47k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

I found Harry Potter Land! I knew I had seen it out there! And I bet they have some neat maps.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter : No Sheep!
- 4:33pm
Jul 9, 2007 ... Harry Potter (2) - Wizarding World of Harry Potter land (2) - pictures of Harry Potter land at Universal (2) - map of harry potter world ...
nosheep.net/story/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ - 47k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

I found Harry Potter Land! I knew I had seen it out there! And I bet they have some neat maps.

This will be in Orlando for a theme park. I think no maps. But it is interesting.

Which means that you were operating on the same principle as the one I have been explaining. You, even though it was in the form of a dietary supplement, medicated your daughter, and you used your own particualr brand of behavior modification techniques. Just as I said....therapy combined with meds when meds are indicated.

Yes but I am quite aware of why I did it. The real problem was mine, not hers. As it is with our school system. The real problem is the system and the inability to accomodate different learning styles and behaviors. I wanted a break in the relentless behavior, but her behavior was not what I considered normal or what my peers considered normal. There for I did what I could to alter the behavior with out causing side effects. Something you can not do with perscription meds. But if I had lived on a farm in an area where homeschool was the norm and farm work the outlet, this child would have needed no intervention. It was and is the culture that largely mandates we use drugs to make behaviors conform to what we are comfortable with. (I am not talking about people who by their behaviors are likely to hurt themselves or others) There are always exceptions. I just think they are much less prevelant then we are led to believe.

Don't worry I am ok. That map is in the books. I am a master map collector. I really not mad at you.
OK but I can't stand the thought of having made someone cry.
It is one of my "things". I felt an arrow go right through my heart when you said that. It is my achielies heel. And I really did think you were talking about maps in the books. I do not know what a master map collector is. Can you inform me?

Yes but I am quite aware of why I did it. The real problem was mine, not hers. As it is with our school system. The real problem is the system and the inability to accomodate different learning styles and behaviors. I wanted a break in the relentless behavior, but her behavior was not what I considered normal or what my peers considered normal. There for I did what I could to alter the behavior with out causing side effects. Something you can not do with perscription meds. But if I had lived on a farm in an area where homeschool was the norm and farm work the outlet, this child would have needed no intervention. It was and is the culture that largely mandates we use drugs to make behaviors conform to what we are comfortable with. (I am not talking about people who by their behaviors are likely to hurt themselves or others) There are always exceptions. I just think they are much less prevelant then we are led to believe.

Dietary supplements carry a risk of side effects, as well. Again, medications are not used to correct the behaviors. That is why therapy and meds are used in combination. Meds are used to correct the chemical imbalance and the alterations in synapses and to allow a child with ADHD to focus. Behvior mod is used to correct the behaviors.

Since I work with this population, I can assure you, if prevalence statistics are off, it is an under estimation of prevalence. You seem to forget, prevalence statistics are based on on those individuals who have been diagnosed and treated. There are many more out there than those that have been diagnosed and treated.

ADHD among American Schoolchildren
Evidence of Overdiagnosis and Overuse of Medication

Authors:
Gretchen B. LeFever and Andrea P. Arcona - Center for Pediatric Research, Eastern Virginia Medical School and Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters
David O. Antonuccio - University of Nevada School of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Sierra Nevada Health Care System.

Author Note:
Correspondence concerning this article should be addressed to Gretchen B. LeFever, Center for Pediatric Research, 855 West Brambleton Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510-1001. E-mail: glefever@chkd.com.

Abstract:
The 700% increase in psychostimulant use that occurred in the 1990s justifies concern about potential overdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment of child behavior problems. A critical review of epidemiologic research suggests that attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not universally overdiagnosed; however, for some U.S. communities there is evidence of substantial ADHD overdiagnosis, adverse educational outcomes among children treated for the disorder, and suboptimal management of childhood behavior problems. Evidence of ADHD overdiagnosis is obscured when findings are reported without respect to geographic location, race, gender, and age. More sophisticated epidemiologic tracking of ADHD treatment trends and examination of associated outcomes is needed to appreciate the scope of the problem on a national level. Meanwhile, a public health approach to ADHD that includes the development and implementation of data-driven, community-based interventions is warranted and is underway in some communities. Guidelines for promoting judicious use of psychotropic drugs are suggested.

She had no GI symptom. The asthma was treated begining at the age of four. The mother had taken this child to the doctor at 8 months due to runny eyes and runny nose and raspy sounding breathing and asked if it could be asthma because that ran in the family. The doctor said, "babies this young don't get asthma".( I know that a few of the family members did have GI symptoms, but not her and the mother had chronic anemia of unknown origin)

That's completely.. not possible. The extreme GI symptoms, weight loss / failure to thrive would present YEARS before deficiencies became severe enough to lead to psychological disturbances.

More to the point, a child being treated for any sort of malabsorption doesn't just see one 'doctor' before being prescribed the most drastic of all possible treatments, TPN.

I mean, even if one hack job did prescribe the treatment, no insurance on earth is going to start covering it on that alone- to say nothing of the actual process, which involves patient education, the use of radiological nurses or surgeons to create a long term access, so on and so forth.. you can't just go to one doctor and 'get prescribed' TPN like you're getting some asprin.

ADHD among American Schoolchildren
Evidence of Overdiagnosis and Overuse of Medication

Authors:
Gretchen B. LeFever and Andrea P. Arcona - Center for Pediatric Research, Eastern Virginia Medical School and Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters
David O. Antonuccio - University of Nevada School of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Sierra Nevada Health Care System.

Author Note:
Correspondence concerning this article should be addressed to Gretchen B. LeFever, Center for Pediatric Research, 855 West Brambleton Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510-1001. E-mail: glefever@chkd.com.

Abstract:
The 700% increase in psychostimulant use that occurred in the 1990s justifies concern about potential overdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment of child behavior problems. A critical review of epidemiologic research suggests that attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not universally overdiagnosed; however, for some U.S. communities there is evidence of substantial ADHD overdiagnosis, adverse educational outcomes among children treated for the disorder, and suboptimal management of childhood behavior problems. Evidence of ADHD overdiagnosis is obscured when findings are reported without respect to geographic location, race, gender, and age. More sophisticated epidemiologic tracking of ADHD treatment trends and examination of associated outcomes is needed to appreciate the scope of the problem on a national level. Meanwhile, a public health approach to ADHD that includes the development and implementation of data-driven, community-based interventions is warranted and is underway in some communities. Guidelines for promoting judicious use of psychotropic drugs are suggested.

Can you tell me where to find the full text article? So far, the abstract supports many of the things I have been saying, especially the statement regarding ADHD not being universally over diagnosed. I'd be interested in reading the full article.

That's completely.. not possible. The extreme GI symptoms, weight loss / failure to thrive would present YEARS before deficiencies became severe enough to lead to psychological disturbances.

More to the point, a child being treated for any sort of malabsorption doesn't just see one 'doctor' before being prescribed the most drastic of all possible treatments, TPN.

I mean, even if one hack job did prescribe the treatment, no insurance on earth is going to start covering it on that alone- to say nothing of the actual process, which involves patient education, the use of radiological nurses or surgeons to create a long term access, so on and so forth.. you can't just go to one doctor and 'get prescribed' TPN like you're getting some asprin.

That was my whole point. It appears that the quote regarding this child presenting with no other symptoms other than a suicide attempt in adolescence came from me, but actually, was fredfam's post. My post stated that GI symptoms were the first symptoms to present in Malabsorption Syndrome, and if this child did not have GI symptoms, then the misdiagnosis came from the naturopath that diagnosed her with this Syndrome.

Glad to see you chimed in here. I was hoping you would add your knowledge to the discussion.

That was my whole point. It appears that the quote regarding this child presenting with no other symptoms other than a suicide attempt in adolescence came from me, but actually, was fredfam's post. My post stated that GI symptoms were the first symptoms to present in Malabsorption Syndrome, and if this child did not have GI symptoms, then the misdiagnosis came from the naturopath that diagnosed her with this Syndrome.

Glad to see you chimed in here. I was hoping you would add your knowledge to the discussion.[/QUO

Many people can have illnesses and only have one symptom. I was treated for depression by the VA for 5 years untill a VA doctor discovered I had gluten sensitivity. The diet corrected ALL of my apparently unrelated symptoms. I am one of those rare people who test negative on just about everything. The intestinal biopsy and the antibody tests. The doctor told me that tests are not as acurate as we like to think they are. In gluten sensitivities sometimes the only symptom can be soft tooth enamel. Or eczema. And in the young girl I told you about the TPN, (which is a different sort than a medical docter would perscribe) WORKED. She completely recovered. I checked with her mother and the girl. Who is 21 now. (she was 15 when all this began) She is happy, healthy, working, and living on her own. She told me that she can go about 3 months with out the IV supplements before begining to feel symptomatic.

Glad to see you chimed in here. I was hoping you would add your knowledge to the discussion.[/QUO

Many people can have illnesses and only have one symptom. I was treated for depression by the VA for 5 years untill a VA doctor discovered I had gluten sensitivity. The diet corrected ALL of my apparently unrelated symptoms. I am one of those rare people who test negative on just about everything. The intestinal biopsy and the antibody tests. The doctor told me that tests are not as acurate as we like to think they are. In gluten sensitivities sometimes the only symptom can be soft tooth enamel. Or eczema. And in the young girl I told you about the TPN, (which is a different sort than a medical docter would perscribe) WORKED. She completely recovered. I checked with her mother and the girl. Who is 21 now. (she was 15 when all this began) She is happy, healthy, working, and living on her own. She told me that she can go about 3 months with out the IV supplements before begining to feel symptomatic.

While people can have a disorder and manifest only one symptom, a person cannot have a disorder so severe as to present with psychiatric disturbance, and be totally asymptomatic for all other symptoms that would identify the disorder.

Why were you eventually tested for gluten sensitivity? And you mentioned "all" of your symptoms. You were, no doubt, exhibiting more than just depressive symptoms. It was a matter of connecting all of your symptoms. Therefore, you were not asymptomatic.

Yet, you claim that this child of which you speak, was completely asymptomatic for all the indicators of malabsorption syndrome except for the psychiatric distubance appearing suddenly in her adolescence. It simply does not add up.

TPN bypasses the intestinal tract. If there are no GI symptoms, there is no indication for TPN. TPN is short for Total Paretental Nutrition. Therefore, it is either total, or it is not TPN. There are not different kinds of TPN.

Back