Anyone do gardening?

My project for this summer.

YAY you guys talk about garden....
I decided to do something that I tend to have a "project" every summer.. that something keep me busy...

Since the garden I planted last summer .. Pumpkin... it grew monstorously.. and i feel not really "100%" safe to veggies or anything plants for us to eat.. because this place used to be landfill years back AND had bat problems before too.. so thought why not.. I am going to flip-flop that garden into beauty... Belive me or not, I am not going to spend $$$.. maybe less 40 dollars.. :D

How? plan to have path go in there.. I have runner black pastic for lay out.. (3 rolls of them-since 4 years).. go to composite site to dig up the chips (recycle).. its FREE.. and FRESH & natural too.. hehe..

I have blocks from last year.. I have rocks from last year.. I have few plants that I can transplant.. and seeds.. maybe browse in freebies/freemarket in area who people want to give away or rid of before they dump in trash..

here the before pic.. and my drawing (sorry its bad drawing but for example) how i start.. :P

its going to be heck of work to dig out those bushes and roots.. will give reward to the kids or ask some friends to help since i cant dig or do heavy things due to my tummy herina..

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

I already have strawberries, chives and parlsey... We seed carrots and 3 different tomatoes yesterday...

We will buy cuccumber and zucchini to plant in garden glass house next week.

Arghhh!!! my arms sore and legs too.. so older kids too...

we have many stubborn bushes, finally got the older bushes about 4 inches thick out of the middle of that box.. and clean up..

So far.. 3 days digging up... the weeds and grasses still keep growing or creeping out.. grr.. lol..

evening fell, we stopped for now, next step.. plastic lay out and blocks..

right now.. 2nd pic ...

IMAG0001.jpg

why not rent the plow from home depot ? rent for a day then you plowed the garden soil to get ready for the seeds. just offer my thought. :)

have fun gardening!

I love to garden, but haven't had one in several years because we lived in an apartment. We moved to a house last May, but it was already too hot to get much to grow.

This summer I planted tomatoes (celebrity and sweet 100s), cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, black-eyed peas, and watermelon. Oh, and bell peppers. My husband also wanted to plant sunflowers for the sunflower seeds. I've never grown sunflowers before -- we'll have to see how this works out.

Garden

This is my 2nd year of gardening since we bought the house. 1st year we planted radishs (success), broccoli (failed), 3 different kinds of leaf lettuce (got truckload of it), cucumbers (not very good..but got some) 2 beefsteak tomatos (very very success) 2 roma tomatos (very good success) and we also did sunflower for fun of it.
I have enclosed 2 or 3 pictures of sunflower. It was fun..but we wont do it again this year. Too much trouble to take down and dig out.

This year...we have planted radishs, wild onions, 3 beefsteak, 3 roma tomatos, 4 cucumber plants. So far..radishs look like it is coming up pretty good.

Sorry pictures not GREAT..but you can see what our sunflower look like. Enjoy!!

(I have a tip/suggestion about sunflower seeds. I learned this from a Master Gardener) - When you are ready to plant your sunflower seeds..always plant 2 in the same spot, or a few inches way from each other. Do this same way for all where you want plant sunflower.That way...when both comes up..you can take 1 out since you have 1 already alive/growing. I learned that if you dont plant 2 seeds very close to each other..there is chance 1 seed might die or fail. Best to plant 2 seeds in case 1 dies. We planted 16 sunflower seeds...and pulled 5 after seeing it grow. Just a tip. If you have more questions...ask away!

Attachments

• assorted 003.JPE
    assorted 003.JPE
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • assorted 010.JPE
    assorted 010.JPE
    15 KB · Views: 1
  • sunflower 002.JPE
    sunflower 002.JPE
    15.7 KB · Views: 4
  • sunflower 010.JPE
    sunflower 010.JPE
    15.5 KB · Views: 4
I like to plant some flowers and green plants in my yard. Sometimes I plant watermelon and squash seeds. They have turned out to be yummy!

I've planted pumpkins and have to wait a long time to see them come up...I love seeing them in the fall. I also plant Zinneas, and wildflowers too. I already have bulbs in the ground, Iris', and Gladolas are so pretty when they rise up tall...I love gardening!!! Of course my favorite is the lilac tree!!!!

Wow, I didnt know there was a gardening thread here. I got all excited when I found it since I LOVE gardening.

Now my turn to show off lol.

I am renting so I can't do too much as well. So unfair I know. And I hate pot plants too so I dont even like the idea of using pots and taking them with me lol. Oh well.

But I did plant some herbs into the garden beds. I grew the herbs from seed. Its sort of cheaper to do it that way. I grew basil, flat parsley, thyme and garlic. (For garlic, I found that you can just grow normal garlic cloves that has green bits sprouting out the top and just dig a hole and put it in the ground and water and ta-da a garlic plant!)

I have planted some seeds and am still waiting for them to grow which are lemon balm, spinach, peppermint, radishes and strawberries. But I dont think the strawberries are going to work as it has been too long so I am a bit sad about that one. I am trying to find some strawberry plants to buy but no luck yet.

I also have a hydroponic set up in the backyard as I wanted to experiment as I have heard some interesting stuff about hydroponics. I raised some seeds for the hydroponic which were basil again, roma tomato, eggplant, parsley again, and lettuce. The parsley and basil dont seem to like the hydroponic set up but that was fun to try. The tomato, eggplant and lettuce totally LOVES the hydroponic set up, its growing like crazy!

My dream is to buy a country house and land and just go crazy. I can't wait. Just have to save up first.

How is everyone else's gardens going?!

Edited to add- I forgot to mention I am from Australia. So our planting schedule is a bit different to the US ppl in case anyone was confused.

GeorgiaDeaf said:
why not rent the plow from home depot ? rent for a day then you plowed the garden soil to get ready for the seeds. just offer my thought. :)

have fun gardening!

yes, you can. but I dont want to.. we have legs, arms and exercise :)

WOW you guys... are into Gardening.. its excellent hobby!!!!!!!..

well.. since i already straight out the garden 1/2 way down..
then.. I just build arbor myself.. without pattern,

total cost.. 18.67 for woods.. i cut them up and drill them together.. found some old stuff for garden decorations.. I added to it..

today .. i am done with it.. and very happy..

My very first own arbor made...

DoofusMama -

That's terrific idea for making a garden. My advise is for you not to fill up soil right near your shed because of the termites. The soil should be about 4 feet away from the shed.

How about bricks or flat stones around your garden and also on the garden to prevent the weeds to grow back? I plan to do that for my garden this summer.

The tomato plants should be 2 feet apart.

Maybe, you could order one pile of loam (good organic soil). Then mix it with your soil from the ground. I bought it last month for about 90 dollars.

Dodge Trucker

Hmm. I am thinking about the sunflowers. I used to plant them a long time ago. What kind of sunflower do you have? I love to see them to grow very tall. Yours look very nice. What a lucky!

My bamboo almost died, and it finally survived this year. It is grown approxiately 8 feet tall. I hope that they would continue growing up to 14 feet. I installed a large plastic around in the ground to prevent the roots spreading. Otherwise, it will be extremely difficult for anyone to get rid of the bamboo's roots. It is similar to a bitter sweet vine. The plastic is 5 feet deep in the soil around the bamboo.

Hmm..I cant remember the name of the sunflower..I think it was called Paul Bunyan sunflower(?) or GIANT sunflower(?)..again..I cant remember. It was really pretty and it was a lot of fun. When it came time to take the roots out..man..that was a challenge! This year we decided to not do it due to main reason lot of challenge to pull out at roots. Yes it was pretty!! Now my cucumbers are starting to grow!! Last year the cucumbers didnt do so good. Tomatos are starting to grow too! YAY!!!

webexplorer said:
DoofusMama -

That's terrific idea for making a garden. My advise is for you not to fill up soil right near your shed because of the termites. The soil should be about 4 feet away from the shed.

How about bricks or flat stones around your garden and also on the garden to prevent the weeds to grow back? I plan to do that for my garden this summer.

The tomato plants should be 2 feet apart.

Maybe, you could order one pile of loam (good organic soil). Then mix it with your soil from the ground. I bought it last month for about 90 dollars.

Thanks for advise... but that shed is huge.. it has cement on ground, and railroadtie around that garden.. I think its safe.. that shed still look new, it build in 2000.. amazing me.. :)
wasnt planning to plant alot bushy or plants by the shed, just that arbor will put there... you will see.. when i am done.. :)

and thanks again.

DoofusMama said:
Thanks for advise... but that shed is huge.. it has cement on ground, and railroadtie around that garden.. I think its safe.. that shed still look new, it build in 2000.. amazing me.. :)
wasnt planning to plant alot bushy or plants by the shed, just that arbor will put there... you will see.. when i am done.. :)

and thanks again.

Oh really! Okay That would be good.

A few months ago, I removed all old railroadties around my garden, and found some termites in the holes. I learned that the "new" railroadties contain toxic chemcials to prevent the termites. I decided that I will use the flat rocks this year. I never knew the poison inside the railroadties for all the years that I use for my garden. That is scary to me.

By the way, I just found out that a cement block in the fish pond is a bad idea because of the lime (?) that slowly kills fishes. This will be my next project for a big fish pond soon. I will get some frogs and some water flower plants for my pond.

Although, you could make a pond for your backyard as long as you have a fence around it to prevent your little kid(s) to come in the pond.

I do veg gardens.. So This year isn't great because my dogs run into the veg garden grrr.. So

My hubby will building fence around it next spring !

Back