Any regrets?

AlleyCat

Reaction score
With all that I'm reading about everyone getting scheduled for CIs and mapping, I admit I'm a bit jealous! But, I still am not ready to take this step. In the meantime, I thought of an important question:

Has anyone ever regretted getting a CI?

Obviously, I'm talking about where you are long past the initial mapping phases and are all "settled in". I'm seeing various references to hearing unusual sounds, although I'm assuming that's still in the initial stages. Does that continue on, and if so, does it drive you crazy or are you used to all sounds you hear now? What about any medical issues -- I've read that a few people have experienced tinnitus and vertigo after surgery and it doesn't seem to go away. I think that could be a major "con" for me. I would appreciate hearing about any long-term "negatives" anyone has experienced after being all settled in with a CI. Thanks!

No.
I do go through a hate phase in the love/hate part... but the truth is I can't do anything without my CI. I love the benefits of sound and understanding it gives me. It's so worth it to be able to hear the voices of those I love and have less frustration that I had before. My dad says he's never seen me so happy in my life... Partly due to my CI.
I would do it all over again.

What about any medical issues -- I've read that a few people have experienced tinnitus and vertigo after surgery and it doesn't seem to go away. I think that could be a major "con" for me.
On the other hand more people have had the Meinere's-related tinntius and vertigo clear up with it.
One thing that I think people who are not clear canidates (ie they still have some sound comprehension with HAS ) should be VERY careful with considering a CI. (if you have tintinuas or recruitment.......go for CI)
Yes, CIs are awesome.......BUT, I also see a lot of hype about CIs, that is almost identical to the hype about digital aids back in the '90's. Also the fact that some audis are really almost agressive in reccomending it.....it almost reminds me of the marketing relationships between Big Phama and doctors with reccomending presciption drugs.

and I KNOW I'm going to be attacked for the previous post. However, if there were people with a new digital hearing aid who were posting adulteration all over the net about it, my reaction would still be the same.

Living with regrets is an admission to being a LOSER.

DON'T BE A LOSER. (and you are NOT a loser!)

Be yourself. There is no regret in that. In being yourself, you (and everyone with you) evolve.

Not me either...I don't regret it and I already want to do second one!! I've already decided second one will be pink..lol!!

I was implanted about 5 year ago with one of the AB defective implant and I had to be re-implanted last March to replace the implant.

But I have no regret at all even I had to go back and have a surgery again because I like it so much over my hearing aids. It is a huge difference between a hearing aid and CI.

Back