Antabuse effect : do we say hat in English ?

Giulia

Reaction score
Hi
Everything is in the title : do we say "antabuse effect" in English ?

Thanks for your help

Hi
Everything is in the title : do we say "antabuse effect" in English ?

Thanks for your help

What help do you need? Drinking problem? Requesting English instruction?

I don't understand at all.:hmm:

What help do you need? Drinking problem? Requesting English instruction?

I don't understand at all.:hmm:
My GP told me that drinking with he medicine I am taking make an antabuse effect. So I try to translate this expression in English. I hope to be clearer....

My GP told me that drinking with he medicine I am taking make an antabuse effect. So I try to translate this expression in English. I hope to be clearer....

Ok, so you know it means drinking will make you be very sick and probably throw up? That is what antabuse does.

Yep :)
But do we say "antabuse" in English ? Or is it a Franco-French term ?

Antabuse is the name of a drug in English. So yes I am sure you would say that.

Drinking alcohol with the medicine you are taking will have the same effect as taking antabuse with alcohol. It will make you very sick, and you will vomit.

In French, it's the name of the effect....:roll:

"Antabuse" is the name of the medication. "Antabuse effect" is the medication causing sickness and vomiting when taken with alcohol, the same as Antabuse (medication) would have. It would be proper to use this term in English, but understanding would depend on whether the person knew what effects Antabuse had when mixed with alcohol.

Using modern and proper english grammar, there are two ways of conveying what you are trying to say.

Antabuse effect - this coined term generally implies that while you have alcohol in your system, and/or taking medicine similar to it, for example: "will produce an antabuse effect, where the user may experience side effects such as headaches and nausea."

Effect(s) of Antabuse - this would refer to what Antabuse does when someone is prescribed it. i.e. "The effects of antabuse in your system will allow you to become less dependent on premeditated alcohol and/or drug consumption."

hope that helps

Using modern and proper english grammar, there are two ways of conveying what you are trying to say.

Antabuse effect - this coined term generally implies that while you have alcohol in your system, and/or taking medicine similar to it, for example: "will produce an antabuse effect, where the user may experience side effects such as headaches and nausea."

Effect(s) of Antabuse - this would refer to what Antabuse does when someone is prescribed it. i.e. "The effects of antabuse in your system will allow you to become less dependent on premeditated alcohol and/or drug consumption."
hope that helps

Actually, that is not what Antabuse does. It is a form of aversion therapy.

Isn't it dangerous to take Antabuse with alcohol?

Yeah. They prescribe if for alcoholics as a form of aversion therapy. When Antabuse is in the system, and alcohol is consumed, the individual becomes violently ill. The premise is that it will prevent an individual from consuming alcohol.

What usually happens in real life, though, is that if the person really wants to drink, they simply don't take the Antabuse. If they are serious about staying sober, the Antabuse isn't necessary.

Actually, that is not what Antabuse does. It is a form of aversion therapy.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've only limited knowledge of Antabuse and am quite intrigued by your response. Could you fill me in on the details of how the therapy process develops?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've only limited knowledge of Antabuse and am quite intrigued by your response. Could you fill me in on the details of how the therapy process develops?

One learns to associate the negative consequence of alcohol consumption (i.e. violent vomiting) rather than with the pleasant effects (intoxication). It is a behavioral modification technique.

Back