Animal cruelty laws? It confused me..

I used to be a reptile keeper, so the ignorance is appalling coming from the people that support these live-feeding, or anyone that is unaware what is the proper way.

A responsible keeper of snakes or large lizards would feed their animals thawed or prekilled food. I used to keep numerous rats and mice in my freezer. There rodents are humanely euthanised by large scale suppliers.

The people who post live-feeding videos of reptiles and fish are just people who are too busy trying to be macho to make themselves feel better. Now there are a few cases where snakes won't take prekilled prey, but the responsible people don't post videos of those online and usually make sure that the rodent is taken care of within the first five or ten minutes, otherwise they remove the said rodent. Why? Rodents are nasty buggers when cornered and can actually kill the snake if threatened.

All things must eat, but nothing should have to suffer unnecessarily in captive care of a human.

Here's the problem. Far too many people don't know how to take care of a snake. That's the problem they are having in Florida. Too many pet snakes are being released into the wild wrecking havoc on the ecology.

I wouldn't say I'm ignorant. I have known reptile keepers and they were all pretty responsible with their pets. I even knew one who had a lizard. I believe it was an iguana.

However, there has to be a way to regulate pet snakes. After all, they do have people buy licenses for their pet dogs since it's "required" by the city hall in many places.

If they won't do that, then they might as well ban them.

In term of the Florida debate, which is not related to the original topic, I am inclined to agree with you.

Here they are trying to ban all pythons and boas in B.C. I don't have any, so it doesn't affect me, but it does annoy me for one reason. Why ban them, when you can place a permit in place and make a revenue? I means not only it weed out the bad owners, it also allows the government to make more money. Since you're from Ontario, you're probably used to the ban system they have here in municipal centres.

Florida is so messed up right now though. There are very few native fish left down there, and even native birds and native mammals are struggling against the introduced counterparts released by bird/aviary owners and exotic mammal owners. Even the local flora are having problem due to people's non-native gardens.

In term of the Florida debate, which is not related to the original topic, I am inclined to agree with you.

Here they are trying to ban all pythons and boas in B.C. I don't have any, so it doesn't affect me, but it does annoy me for one reason. Why ban them, when you can place a permit in place and make a revenue? I means not only it weed out the bad owners, it also allows the government to make more money. Since you're from Ontario, you're probably used to the ban system they have here in municipal centres.

You're telling me!

I thought it was incredibly stupid to ban pit bulls here in Ontario because most people don't even have a clue what a pit bull look like to start with. Even a Boxer could be mistaken for one. The Liberal party only did it for political gains, not the public's safety. I still think they would had done better by passing a "Dangerous Dogs" bill rather than a specific breed ban.

I agree with you, it would result in more revenues for the government to issue permits to people who wish to own a snake, lizard or any exotic animals that may present a danger to the public if not handled properly.

I know there is one person in the Niagara region (I reside in St. Catharines) who happen to own a tiger.

Yes... a tiger.

Taurusm, did we as HUMANS eat animals too? Look at chickens, deers, cows, pigs, fishes, and any other kind of animals. You have a right to protest this thread but you don't complain what you eat from innocent, defenseless animals. Speaking of Natural way, Are we supposed to wait and let animals die so we can eat those dead animals? You have to understand Humans needs to kill animals if they want to keep survivors and humans mankind.

For Animal cruelty laws, I support this if people abuse animals not feed animals from another animals.

I don't care for rodents because they carry disease, but on the other hand I do agree with you in regardless of the feeding of life prey to snakes. I do believe it's inhumane, cruel and unfair to these animals such as rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs and pets.

How about wild cottontail rabbits roaming in neighborhood, It's a pest cuz it was damaging gardens, properties ect. It should be caught and fed to snakes.

There are cottontail rabbit overpopulation in Mission, KS. I walked on neighborhood area and rabbit just hops next to me that I could easily catch it. I've caught several baby cottontails and released it miles away. I don't want it on my property cuz it's damaging the stoop in front house (it just digs holes and pushes dirt out, thus weakens the cement stoop support) and digs hole just halfway through then abandoned it. I had to fill the hole grrr!! They're cute but a pest!!

So that's why..use it to feed the snake!! There's plenty more cottontails out there anyway.

Catty

Taurusm, did we as HUMANS eat animals too? Look at chickens, deers, cows, pigs, fishes, and any other kind of animals. You have a right to protest this thread but you don't complain what you eat from innocent, defenseless animals. Speaking of Natural way, Are we supposed to wait and let animals die so we can eat those dead animals? You have to understand Humans needs to kill animals if they want to keep survivors and humans mankind.

Get out of this thread.. and NO I dont eat meat or use/eat/drink dairy products.. I'm Raw Vegan.. and btw, this is NOTHING about human eating.. THIS is about snake and feeder animals..

For Animal cruelty laws, I support this if people abuse animals not feed animals from another animals.

So you support lazy idea for snakes? You just pick up any kind of animal and put it close to snake so snake can eat it.. Snake isnt using his/her skills to get prey for him/herself..

It's inhumane..

How about wild cottontail rabbits roaming in neighborhood, It's a pest cuz it was damaging gardens, properties ect. It should be caught and fed to snakes.

There are cottontail rabbit overpopulation in Mission, KS. I walked on neighborhood area and rabbit just hops next to me that I could easily catch it. I've caught several baby cottontails and released it miles away. I don't want it on my property cuz it's damaging the stoop in front house (it just digs holes and pushes dirt out, thus weakens the cement stoop support) and digs hole just halfway through then abandoned it. I had to fill the hole grrr!! They're cute but a pest!!

So that's why..use it to feed the snake!! There's plenty more cottontails out there anyway.

Catty

To me it sound like its ok for Humans to use you to feed to snake because there is many humans out there anyway.. how you feel about this?
There are too many humans in USA compare to low population of these rabbits..

So you support lazy idea for snakes? You just pick up any kind of animal and put it close to snake so snake can eat it.. Snake isnt using his/her skills to get prey for him/herself..

It's inhumane..

I am going to debunk this. There is NO skills involved in the wild. They don't "hunt." They are ambush predators. The only thing that work in their advantage is their extremely low metabolism that allow them to sit still for a few days, weeks or even months on end waiting for a prey to go by. Even then, they may not always get away from their prey without mortal wounds.

A lot of the live-fed snakes have scars or remaments of missing tissues as a result of prey fighting back.

Get out of this thread.. and NO I dont eat meat or use/eat/drink dairy products.. I'm Raw Vegan.. and btw, this is NOTHING about human eating.. THIS is about snake and feeder animals..
There you go, and then close my case.

It's inhumane..
I was speaking in general animals like cats eat mouse, seals eats penguins and etc. I do not support if people do abuse animals for NO REASON but at the same time, people like me do eat meats. No hard feeling.

In my belief, plants have feeling too and This is why I have no feeling of guilt when I drop a lobster in a steaming pot. And if so, aren't vegetarians just as guilty as meat-eaters? Plants did feel pain what would the poor vegans eat.

Oh, that's not good. Most people don't care anything.

I saw on the news recently that there are 27,000 snake breeds were thrown out by pet owners in Everglades, Florida because their pets are too big and it is no room for a space in their house. Many wild deers and some dog pets were eaten by the non-native snakes. The snakes are spreading out near the houses.

The governor of Florida is working on a new case, and he will hire some hunters to kill all non-native snakes in Everglades National Park. It is going to be a difficult job because Everglades are so huge in the wild place - it's a wild animal domain.

I am all for the ban of owning dangerous snakes like boas (and other animals like tigers/lions). Florida is a perfect example of owning snakes gone wrong. They ought to ban them in the first place and now they have to pay people to hunt them down.

Prove it in your own thread, please. (not in this thread)
You can't argue my opinion or belief, that's all I said. There is no point for me to create my own thread and prove it. I respected Taurus's opinion, that's all.

Oh, that's not good. Most people don't care anything.

I saw on the news recently that there are 27,000 snake breeds were thrown out by pet owners in Everglades, Florida because their pets are too big and it is no room for a space in their house. Many wild deers and some dog pets were eaten by the non-native snakes. The snakes are spreading out near the houses.

The governor of Florida is working on a new case, and he will hire some hunters to kill all non-native snakes in Everglades National Park. It is going to be a difficult job because Everglades are so huge in the wild place - it's a wild animal domain.

Oh, I wish the governor of any states notice it and will work on it to prevent that will happen to their states..

I am all for the ban of owning dangerous snakes like boas (and other animals like tigers/lions). Florida is a perfect example of owning snakes gone wrong. They ought to ban them in the first place and now they have to pay people to hunt them down.

Me too! :wave:

You can't argue my opinion or belief, that's all I said. There is no point for me to create my own thread and prove it. I respected Taurus's opinion, that's all.

You are welcome to prove it in this thread. I know the plants have no feelings anyway..

Back