Amtrak Travel

Mayguy

Reaction score
Has anyone taken Amtrak Long Distance train trip?

I've have taken Amtrak 2 times out west, and will be doing it again this summer.

Also have taken it down to Chicago 3 times. I really enjoying taking Amtrak for trips.. Beat driving and putting up with the TSA headache.

I have thought about making a video since I have not found any video on Amtrak telling deaf/HOH people about Amtrak.

Here is a couple of my video from last year's trip on Amtrak Empire Builder.

Trip out.
Trip back home.

I ride on Amtrak alot in my lifetime. Wondering if Empire Builder is one of route you traveled on? It was breathtaking experience.
Southwest Chief is great route.

Hey, I "know" you on AU, don't I?
I did the Capital Limited-California Zephyr last fall.
I may do it again in August & just found out a convention I'd like to go to will be in Portland, OR next year so I have an excuse to take the Empire Builder...if I have the time & $$.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

I used to take "short distance" trips on Amtrak in California. I love it, and I do miss it. It is far better than driving on 405.

I wonder, for the longer trips, are there showers on the train?

Thats right, yeah I took shower on Amtrak.

They even have dining car, during my time reservation was not required, now it is required.

I think breakfast is non-reservation on all LD trains in the diner. Some LD trains may require reservations for lunch. Dinner is by reservation. Sleeping car passengers get asked first what sitting they want (meals are included with the room), then they ask coach passengers.

There's also a lounge/cafe with sandwiches/snacks/drinks.

I have taken California Zephyr route couple years ago, it was well worth the scenic route. I took a roomette sleeper and the meal was included with the ticket so they had a good foods and dessert along the way. It also have a shower down the hallway which I took. Taking a long distance in sleeper is comfortable and gives you a total privacy as well.

I also took Coast Starlight route to Washington State as well. I hope to do more of long distance again on the train, and shows different scenic routes that we don't see on most highways.

Hi there,

I usually take Amtrak for some reason as go visit someone or take a vacation trip, its nice and distress than Airplane. but I like Airplane too which is it not bother at all unless schedule went delay. But Amtrak is nice!

moving via train

I do the amtrak anytime I can. Depend on my schedule and if I have time to. I'm moving up to Chicago via Amtrak. It's awesome. They let you take up to 6 boxes of stuff free on the train. Also, they give you discount if you are Deaf/HoH. My trip is by far the easiest, cheapest way to move. I'm so excited. I love the Coast Starlight but I'm be going on the Texas Eagle this time. I've never done the east coast trains. I want to visit my sister in Mass so I'll have to check them out.

I use amtrak whenever I visit my sister in Camp Pendleton. Its much better than the bus. Less on gas and I dont have to focus on driving. But I only use it if im traveling alone. Otherwise I use a car.

I took Amtrak from DC to NYC several times, and it was very relaxing. One time, there are too many people in Amtrak from NYC to DC, for those who non-reserved ticket holders have to stand all the way to DC (3.5 hrs) and I was one of them. I actually sit on my suitcase back of the exit door. Not comfortable.

Someday I want to take train from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok lol.

I took Amtrak from DC to NYC several times, and it was very relaxing. One time, there are too many people in Amtrak from NYC to DC, for those who non-reserved ticket holders have to stand all the way to DC (3.5 hrs) and I was one of them. I actually sit on my suitcase back of the exit door. Not comfortable.

Someday I want to take train from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok lol.

Why not you riding Acela Express? How many days does train run from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok? First class w/sleeper?

I took Amtrak several times years and years ago. Do all or some of them look like this now?

MudVoVx.jpg

I almost took an amtrak but changed my mind due to the costs. It would be a lot cheaper to drive my car to the destination

Why not you riding Acela Express? How many days does train run from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok? First class w/sleeper?

Acela Express cost $80-$100 more. I was high school student that time.

Train with first class with sleeper from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok (before 2000, trip itself takes about 2 weeks), now they have faster and better train, it will take about 5 days.

I take amtrak about once or twice a year. Usually I take it into the Philadelphia station. Always a nice trip. Never any hassle.

Yea rode Amtrak few times including the longest route from Seattle to near San Francisco. I never rode Amtrak cross country before.

Riding Amtrak home on my vacation, the trip went very well and train was on schedule which is good thing. Delicious steak dinner and french toast breakfast. Can't complain. :)

Back