Alldeaf.com not the place to come for help

Dilvish

Reaction score
Wow - I'm a diver and I use ASL both when diving and around the shop. Just common, one hand words - but it is catching on and I believed I was doing a good thing for both hearing and hearing impaired people.

Unfortunatley, I logged on to Alldeaf.com to get some additional help when the books and on-line dictionaries failed me.

All I asked for was a way to say "no worries" or "no problem".

Lots of folks viewed the post and nobody answered - did I do something to offend? Is this some sort of reverse prejudice?

My appologies to the forum for my rant and the apparent insult to you

Wirelessly posted

not sure where's your post as I cant read it right now, will check tomorrow.

60-70% of topic reads are automated done by guests/forum bots.

chill out a bit.. maybe people didn't get it. As for the question there isn't much slang in asl, so its chill, no worries etc would actually make limited sense (not the meaning you'd convey).

for me, I'd just use thumbs up or you're welcome.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone was insulted. There are so many people that are viewing these pages who aren't registered it's amazing. There might be 10 or 12 people that can actually post and 300 who are just looking. I would answer you but I'm still learning ASL and can't really tell you effectively. Remember you can always make up your own signals. What body language do you use when you say "No worries" to hearing people. More often than not, others use that same body language (example... I don't know- *shrug*). You'll also find that those most common usages of body language are understood by those who sign even if it's not the actual word.

thx

thx for the info on bots skewing my understanding of the count - you're probably right

I'll wait a while and see what comes back to me

Limited use of slang? How come?

thx for the info on bots skewing my understanding of the count - you're probably right

I'll wait a while and see what comes back to me

Limited use of slang? How come?

Because there are no slang words in ASL. Nor are colloquialisms understood. Those are verbal terms. ASL is a language. Just like English is a language. There are many deaf who don't understand English who are fluent in ASL.

Wirelessly posted

I meant english slang taken in context with asl. Like saying "that is killer" can't be literally signed word for word to imply the same meaning.

or 'cut the crap' hope you get what I meant.

Sadly, "thumbs up" = "go up" when we are underwater. We do use the "thank-you, you're welcome" fingers off chin getures but "you're welcome" doesn't always convey the intent.

Regardless - it is tremendously heartening to know there are people here who are willing to help us rookies

Sadly, "thumbs up" = "go up" when we are underwater. We do use the "thank-you, you're welcome" fingers off chin getures but "you're welcome" doesn't always convey the intent.

Regardless - it is tremendously heartening to know there are people here who are willing to help us rookies

LOL it's late... there are only 5 of us on including yourself. Ask again tomorrow and you'll get some more ideas. Honestly though, for this, common body language would be more understood.

some of us are clueless as you. some are learning ASL. Some are deaf who grew up without ASL and some are late deafened. The ones who have some knowledge are not around much.

Here's how I sign "no worry" or "no worries"....form the letter 'W'...wave it around ur forehead (not on ur forehead)...shake my head "no"......I've had no problem with any deafie to understand what I mean....It may not be "exact" ASL...as I'm not fluent, but it gets my meaning across.

I'd just use "thumb up" which is both English and ASL.

same exactly between relate on asl and englsih on, That is great best ASL rock!. I notice it great seems really lots of best things.

sign "worries none"

or state opposites

"me worried, no"

Those are the ways I learned it

Back