Air conditioning service

A 1996 Honda Accord brought in for A/C service today, after reviewing the RO paper (work order) that a customer states rough running at the stop light with A/C on, sometime no cold air and runs fine without A/C. I check the MIL statue and warning lights, found nothing wrong, saw the HVAC control was OFF, and record my note to see what function in the HVAC is used like temp is at cold position, what fan speed, or air distribution used. I don't touch the HVAC control, check fluids in the engine compartment, everything ok. Belts ok. I let the engine running, no rough in drive position then turn A/C on, still cold air, I got out of the car, around the front to see the cooling fan motors, found inoperative fan motors with A/C clutch still engaged, suddenly the engine started to be worse rough running. Like I say oh damn, ran to the driver side to shut the engine off quickly. Investigate and found the radiator fan motor bad and condenser fan motor was bad loose, relays good. I recommend rad/cond fan motors and service A/C. Got a customer approval to replace the fans motors and service A/C system (found slight low freon in the system). The fans are really blowing hard as new, good cold air. no more rough running during road test. How much for the job? $667. Does it sound right price? Too expensive? I think it is fair price.
PS: this Accord has a 2.2L motor w/ auto tranny, sorry I forget the odometer.

Yeah DST.

What brand of master disconnection kit tool you use?

Hand Tools, Tool Storage, Automotive Service Equipment, Business Franchise Options - Matco Tools

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-AST78930-Master-Disconnect/dp/B000RH6IX4]Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic (AST78930) 15 Piece Master Disconnect Kit: Home Improvement[/ame]

I am not sure which one right for me. I can use tool for AC system, oil cooler line and fuel system from auto and AC system from diesel. I prefer all in one and easy to carry and easy around.

Yeah DST.

What brand of master disconnection kit tool you use?

Hand Tools, Tool Storage, Automotive Service Equipment, Business Franchise Options - Matco Tools

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic (AST78930) 15 Piece Master Disconnect Kit: Home Improvement

I am not sure which one right for me. I can use tool for AC system, oil cooler line and fuel system from auto and AC system from diesel. I prefer all in one and easy to carry and easy around.

I don't carry my own master disconnect tool set like Astro, but own outdated disconnect tools. As today's cars need few special disconnect tools. Only you need fuel line and A/C line disconnect tools for most Ford and some cars. My A/C line disconnect set (MAC tool I think) is old tool but very good useful. Fuel line disconnect tool is KD (I think I bought it from PepBoy) looks like scissor with 2 different sizes. Don't invest master set. I bought some line disconnect tools for older cars but never use them. Waste money.

I don't carry my own master disconnect tool set like Astro, but own outdated disconnect tools. As today's cars need few special disconnect tools. Only you need fuel line and A/C line disconnect tools for most Ford and some cars. My A/C line disconnect set (MAC tool I think) is old tool but very good useful. Fuel line disconnect tool is KD (I think I bought it from PepBoy) looks like scissor with 2 different sizes. Don't invest master set. I bought some line disconnect tools for older cars but never use them. Waste money.

So which Astro or Matco you recommend?

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

deafsmogtech said:
A 1996 Honda Accord brought in for A/C service today, after reviewing the RO paper (work order) that a customer states rough running at the stop light with A/C on, sometime no cold air and runs fine without A/C. I check the MIL statue and warning lights, found nothing wrong, saw the HVAC control was OFF, and record my note to see what function in the HVAC is used like temp is at cold position, what fan speed, or air distribution used. I don't touch the HVAC control, check fluids in the engine compartment, everything ok. Belts ok. I let the engine running, no rough in drive position then turn A/C on, still cold air, I got out of the car, around the front to see the cooling fan motors, found inoperative fan motors with A/C clutch still engaged, suddenly the engine started to be worse rough running. Like I say oh damn, ran to the driver side to shut the engine off quickly. Investigate and found the radiator fan motor bad and condenser fan motor was bad loose, relays good. I recommend rad/cond fan motors and service A/C. Got a customer approval to replace the fans motors and service A/C system (found slight low freon in the system). The fans are really blowing hard as new, good cold air. no more rough running during road test. How much for the job? $667. Does it sound right price? Too expensive? I think it is fair price.
PS: this Accord has a 2.2L motor w/ auto tranny, sorry I forget the odometer.

Wow dang. Probably high miles.

I brought my wife's 2000 Ford Explorer w/ 5.0L V8 to my work last month ago for A/C service. I noticed her car has no cold blowing during hot day. I check the Lo/Hi pressure gauges, around Lo 28psi and Hi 155psi, the compressor clutch disengages for 10 seconds, engages for 5 seconds. Looks like low freon in the system. Recovered about .90 oz (freon spec. 1.14 lbs) then evac/ recharge. The compressor is running longer, vent outlet about 42 degree F ( outside temp 95 degree F). In 2 weeks later, she told me that A/C is out, like I says "What? No cold?", she nodded me, told her I think it is leaky valve in service port. Dang. I took it to the shop again, found the schrader valve in low side (service port), was bad leaking, replaced it with a new schrader valve. I found out my old valve core tool was broken, had to fabricated my 5 mm deep socket into a valve core tool cuz I had to fly oversea on next day. After freon charged, I sprayed a soapy water into the service ports to see if there is bubbles. No bubbles found. Whew. My bad....for not check the leaks before close a hood. Aloha, dst

Back