AIM/Router Direct Connect TIps

prostock19

Reaction score
How many of you have trouble direct connecting while behind a Cable/DSL Router. I use to have that problem. But not anymore (if I initiate the connection). Here is what you do if you have Win2K or higher. Please note, this only works if you are using a static IP addresses for the computer(s) that you want AIM Direct Connect to work.

• Go onto your router configuration program and find your WAN IP address. This is the IP address that your cable/dsl company issues you.
  • Go into you Network Control Panel
  • Select your Network Adapter and go to Properties
  • Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties
  • Click on Advance
  • Under IP Adresses, click ADD.
  • Type in the IP Address from step 1.

If you still can't Direct Connect to someone, go to your router configuration, go to your DMZ setup, and enter the computer's IP address.

If your WAN address changes (this is more prone to happen with DSL than Cable), you will have to change the address in the advance section of your TCP/IP properties everytime you want to Direct Connect.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM/IM/EMAIL me.

God! You are so dumb! You don't have to set ur computer on static ip, just leave it automatic, your ip never change because the router stored the ethernet card address and give you ur own ip address for long time. Just go to router setup and check with DHCP list, and you ll see ur ip, it's always there for long time. Go to DMZ setup and enter your ip address. That's it. Simple! You don't have to change anythings on ur computer. Now u are letting some newbies out there screwing their computer up!. DMZ setup open up your computer, all of it ports open. Free for hackers to crack into ur computer. Good luck

Originally posted by vphreak
God! You are so dumb! You don't have to set ur computer on static ip, just leave it automatic, your ip never change because the router stored the ethernet card address and give you ur own ip address for long time. Just go to router setup and check with DHCP list, and you ll see ur ip, it's always there for long time. Go to DMZ setup and enter your ip address. That's it. Simple! You don't have to change anythings on ur computer. Now u are letting some newbies out there screwing their computer up!. DMZ setup open up your computer, all of it ports open. Free for hackers to crack into ur computer. Good luck
if you have more than 1 computer behind the router, the ip can and most likely, will change. I admit, i haven't tried this tip without the dmz turned out. That is why I said to try it without the dmz 1st. Also, I prefer static IPs behind the router. I feel it is easier to connect to who you want to when doing things. I got the tip above off the internet. It does say to turn on the dmz and use static ip behind the router.

me no router...cuz my linux acts as passive router/dedicated firewall and I don't have any problems connecting

Originally posted by hacker
:zzz: go find your self on internet what dbz means..

IDIOT! That's not "DBZ":eek: insteal that's "DMZ".

Originally posted by DoVip
vphreak, "DMZ" what it mean?
DMZ means De-militarized zone. This term is from the border between North and South Korea where everything is open with no protection from any weapons. Well, on a firewall/router, a DMZ is where you're not protected by the firewall.

Actually, AIM isn't NAT friendly at all. When your computer sends a request for a file transfer or direct connect through the router it goes through the AIM server. AIM will report your LAN IP or 192.168.1.xxx, or whatever it happens to be, instead of the WAN IP to the other party you're connecting to. Now when AIM tries to connect to that IP of course the connection can't be made since the public address space isn't reachable from outside. Now what it should be doing is reporting your WAN IP and the port number that's associated with your PC you're on. There is nothing that router can do the change this behavior unless AIM fixes the problem and makes their software NAT friendly.

Originally posted by FitnessGuru
Actually, AIM isn't NAT friendly at all. When your computer sends a request for a file transfer or direct connect through the router it goes through the AIM server. AIM will report your LAN IP or 192.168.1.xxx, or whatever it happens to be, instead of the WAN IP to the other party you're connecting to. Now when AIM tries to connect to that IP of course the connection can't be made since the public address space isn't reachable from outside. Now what it should be doing is reporting your WAN IP and the port number that's associated with your PC you're on. There is nothing that router can do the change this behavior unless AIM fixes the problem and makes their software NAT friendly.
That lil trick "tricks" aim cuz it see's your router's IP. Since I did it, I have no problem connecting to anyone now.

I don't have router and my linux is my acting router all I have to do is $IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${OUTSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 4443 -j ACCEPT
$IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${OUTSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 5190 -j ACCEPT
$IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${OUTSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 5566 -j ACCEPT

$IPT_X -I REAIM_PRE 1 -t nat -i ${INSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 5190 -j REDIRECT --to-port 5190
$IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${INSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 4443 -j ACCEPT
$IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${INSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 5190 -j ACCEPT
$IPT_X -I REAIM_IN 1 -i ${INSIDE_IF} -p tcp --dport 5566 -j ACCEPT

And it works!

Gotta to love iptables :thumb:

Back