after a yr.C.I is still not sounding right. please help!

jayme0013

Reaction score
Hi, I started losing my hearing about 2001 due to a disease I have. Started wearing hearing aids, then in Oct 2010 I lost what hearing I had in my right ear. I then used bi-cros aids after that.(fabulous invention) then in Nov 2011. Again with in minutes I lost all hearing in my left ear. I was implanted with an AB C.I on March 20 of 2012, activated April 20th 2012. Activation went well I could hear not too bad,I was pleased! Things were a bit muffled and tinny like-even an echo sound. But thats cool on the most part all in all is great. Then I started getting a small lump in the implanted area, when I was in bed and would move my head the pain jolted me, washing my hair, if i rubbed that spot I could go through the roof.It was only getting worse. I had been in contact with the hospital, sent them pic. (It was a small lump and pinkish.) etc. Finally I couldn't stand this any more, something is wrong. Met with my surgeon, after much thought and talk we decided to slice my head open again. Ends up the stitch that was holding the c.i in place was “standing up like a fence post” (his words lol) all healed well.

I have had my implant just over a year, and for this whole year I have been hearing the same, have told the audio how I hear. (voices are muffled, echoie,high pitched). I get my adjustments and in all honesty I have not ever noticed any change to the sound I am hearing like an AM radio. Sometimes my voice sounds like it would if I was talking into a fan. I have told the audio all this. TV sounds horrible like the voices are too close to the speaker muffled distorted somewhat.. Lately things had also gotten louder. That too was to be adjusted end of April, but its still too loud.

Then someone asked me if I had an FM system, and told me how great it is, so I started researching this. Sounds like this may be what I need to hear things more clearly. Got the Fm. all that does is amplifies what I am already hearing. After wearing it for maybe an hour or 2 while watching tv I have to take it off as I have a headache and just cannot stand the sound.

I have tried turning my volume down but voices become even more distorted and muffled, I am at a total loss here. Am I not explaining myself properly to the audio so that she can get rid of the muffled voices? I was told to have the IDR checked, but does that help muffled voices? Was I expecting too much? I just feel so lost!

Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did u do? Please I am open to ideas.

I have talked with so many people and they say it should

not be sounding like this. I am at a total loss of what to do.

hearing with a CI won't be "normal". I've had my CI for a year and a month now, and it's still not perfect. I know I still have a ways to go, but have been pretty pleased with my progress. Are you doing any auditory training? You might just have to keep working with the audiologist to see if the echo and tinny sound goes away.

Have you posted on HearingJourney.com? Perhaps other users there might have an idea. There are plenty of experienced AB users posting at HJ.com.

Hi
I know it wont be perfect, but this just seems way off.
Yes I do my lessons.
I am now on HearingJourney I guess I will post there too!
thank you!!

Yeah, perhaps someone on HJ will be able to give you suggestions on how to deal with it.

Remember that any hearing devices like hearing aids and CIs are just tools for us to hear environment sounds. It does not pick up the normal sounds or voices. Just have to learn to get used to have this muffled sounds or other sounds that are not clear.

Remember to take your hearing aid from your CI at bedtime. It is the same way with glasses when you go to bed. You don't wear them on when you are sleeping.

Welcome to AllDeaf forum. I hope you can stick around here so that you can learn about deafness now that you are late deafened. Just have fun. See you around here. :wave:

Back