Adjustment to late onset deafness

Wow. Well, I'm sorry. I'm in the wrong Forum, as most of you have said. There was some more to it, but to be called a liar and asked to leave... Please accept my apologies for whomever I've insulted, and please accept my forgiveness for those who I seem to have entertained. I should have known; it's a Forum. The Fish Forums are always the same way. Too many who drink and type, and too many others who just want to be hateful or argue. I'll leave you all in peace. Shalom.

Nobody asked for your story, you spilled it out yourself. Rockin Robin said "Life is too short to be bitter, Embrace it" She never insulted nor put you down. You did this on your own, not us.

Wow. Well, I'm sorry. I'm in the wrong Forum, as most of you have said. There was some more to it, but to be called a liar and asked to leave... Please accept my apologies for whomever I've insulted, and please accept my forgiveness for those who I seem to have entertained. I should have known; it's a Forum. The Fish Forums are always the same way. Too many who drink and type, and too many others who just want to be hateful or argue. I'll leave you all in peace. Shalom.
I really think "Plasticmask" should look into a CI. Because it is clear from his previous posts that he will never find a way to be truly comfortable as a deaf person. A CI is in no way a cure but I see it as the only way for him to come to any kind of terms with his situation.

Unless I missed read something, I didn't see anyone say for him to leave this forum. What I saw was suggestions, including mine, to find another "live, in-person group" if the one he experienced was so unpleasant. There are always going to be some bad apples (even in hearing groups) so you just have to seek them out or create your group.

This has been my experience too..what Zephren, AC and other mentioned...I'm hoh and sign poorly, haven't been able to continue in ASL for a consistently long period of time to get very good. But I try, and I don't bring an angry attitude around. People have always been very welcoming.
I just chocked death reading this ! We had new members that didn't stay around for more than a few days b/c they couldn't believe how rude some people are here ! I had PM them and they told me they couldn't stand some members and I was not one of them . I never seen so many rude people on a forum before I have used a few of them!
I am so glad I never had anything to do with deaf culture while growing b/c it sucks !

There are many late-deafened members here...(me too).and I, too, was very bitter at what Life threw at me when I lost my own hearing, not knowing ASL at all. How are you at lip-reading?....and have you considered the Implant?...It takes time, patience, a big adjustment, I know...but it will all come together sooner or later. Life's too short to be bitter...Embrace it...there will be better days ahead and new friends to make. When Life throws you a curve...hit a home run!....

I have same feeling when I was new to DB community.

It is better to be late deafened alone than life with deafblind, in my opinion.

I just chocked death reading this ! We had new members that didn't stay around for more than a few days b/c they couldn't believe how rude some people are here ! I had PM them and they told me they couldn't stand some members and I was not one of them . I never seen so many rude people on a forum before I have used a few of them!
I am so glad I never had anything to do with deaf culture while growing b/c it sucks !

I definitely sure that you are misunderstand about what they said and your statement is poorly interpreted, no offense.

Depending on community, I have no issue with deaf communities, beside drama, but drama is part of life like you have to deal with it in this forum.

It is better to not jab someone that you don't like and you seems assume too much, perhaps.

My hearing loss is progressive, and I can no longer understand speech unaided unless the speaker takes special measures. I also have always have had mild neurological problems and was afraid of neurofibromaotisis type two. Just had an MRI, and there is no evidence of neuromas on my auditory nerves. So the loss is cochlear. One worry is gone. Neurologist says I don't have to worry about my "other problem" (mild CP), just the long-term effects of the compensations for the CP. My right leg has done so much work over the years that those nerves sometimes scream with pain.

Question is; is progressive hearing loss associated with with post-CP syndrome?

After a quick search, I did find a link between cp and deafness. I have known several deaf people with cp but I didn't realize they were related.

I met and knew quite a few people who are deaf/HOH and also had CP (various types of CP). I don't know if all are connected but am sure at least one was a Rubella baby.

I just chocked death reading this !

What the heck does this mean?

Who knows...but I have a pretty good idea...! Funny how people interpret the same posts we all read and write in such drastically different ways. I don't see any rude people in this thread either. Maybe angry and bitter...?

I met and knew quite a few people who are deaf/HOH and also had CP (various types of CP). I don't know if all are connected but am sure at least one was a Rubella baby.
I took a sign course quite a while ago. I could get the gist receptively, but I will never be good at expressive. I have been googling and hearing loss and CP overlap by quite a bit. As for progressive, I don't know. I'm going to ask at a CP site.

Reading Some of the recent posts here makes me think of what I keep repeating to my 12 year old, hoping some day it will sink in. That is "Just try to be kind...and say sorry when you've hurt somebody's feelings". It would make the world so much more peaceful...

Having said that, it has most definitely NOT sunk in yet, judging from my conversation with her a few minutes ago.
ME: What are you watching?
HER: A Dystopian movie.
ME: Well, it's bed time. Time to turn it off, you can finish it tomorrow.
HER: I didn't watch it, it's way too scary.
ME: But you were just watching it.
HER: No I wasn't.
ME: Then what were you watching?
HER: The dystopian movie, but I wasn't watching it.
ME: What do you mean you weren't watching it, you just said you were.
HER (Yelling) NO I WASN'T, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!!
(Her yelling continues on for another five minutes, yelling over my attempts to ask her what she means, therefore rendering any kind of intelligent communication utterly impossible)

So, long story short, I was raked over the coals for not knowing that a scary movie called "IT" flashed up on Netflix as she was clicking out of the movie she was watching. I missed that, and being HOH, I also missed the undetectable emphasis I imagine she put on the word "IT" when she all of a sudden started talking about another movie out of the blue. (My older daughter, overhearing the racket, explained it to me, apparently she's heard of "IT" too!). This could have been worthy of a Three Stooges skit (Re-read the above exchange with this enlightened context) but instead was turned into a nasty accusation of me not listening.

Yup...I shall continue to repeat myself...please, please remember to be kind.

No. She was perma banned years ago.
I wonder what her final transgression was. I come and go, mostly because I have other issues in my life. When I encounter an issue related to my hearing loss, I return.

No. She was perma banned years ago.

It was part of what I felt was an "over the top" use of banning. I was not a poster on many of the hot threads but felt that people would have lost interest in the individual threads over time and they thus would have gone away on their own.

This thread is a great idea, especially as I fall into this category. I was a kid with mastoiditis which went untreated. We didn't bother doctors in those days and I was "
treated" with warm olive oil and a wad of cotton wool. They also sent me to a school psychaiatrist who concluded I was pretending to have difficulty hearing to get attention. I wonder at the amount of times I've been told that I have " selective hearing " as a child. Fast forward to adulthood and I've had two surgeries on my left ear to reconstruct it after Cholesteatoma and I've now lost nearly all hearing in my operated ear within the last couple of months. I've been referred to the hospital again to check whether it's Cholesteatoma again and will be assessed for a hearing aid in that ear. Despite my hearing loss, I'm a professional classical musician and I earn my living playing in an orchestra. In case anybody is curious as to how I manage, orchestras are loud and my instrument vibrates through my jawbone. Plus I rely very much visually, by feel and with a lot of practise alone and concentration

They also sent me to a school psychaiatrist who concluded I was pretending to have difficulty hearing to get attention. I wonder at the amount of times I've been told that I have " selective hearing " as a child.
Sad about this. Any school psychologist who does not look at hearing screening results required in the schools is incompetent, at the least.

Sad about this. Any school psychologist who does not look at hearing screening results required in the schools is incompetent, at the least.

We don't know how long ago this happened. That could make a difference in how much screening was done and how much attention was paid to it. I agree the lack of attention did create problems.

Back