Adjustment to late onset deafness

Haven't found one here. I have been calling all of them and asking so many people for 2 years. There is not one within 20 miles.

I don't know if you have tried this yet, but, there are a number of good ASL Bible studies online. I am still looking for AUSLAN ones though.

Hello My name is Linda.

I am 58 yrs old because of brain tumor have lost left side hearing and infections in right keep me from useing my aide. I am trying to self teach asl. just get confused at how to do some of the signs .

I am so glad that I have found this site, but when I figure out how to post and reply will like it even better. I too would like to you to know that I have found mirrors help me. but sometimes scare me too. I dont hear at all behind me. my biggest problem is sound behind me. Dont hear cars come . Have a service dog and she is great if I keep watching her. Noise in the ear is bad how can i be deaf and hear my heart beat. lould. hard to sleep. sound like hollow drumb. cant seem to stop it.

love the skypie site. sorry if i dont spell rite I spell how i hear. is it free?

Hi I am almost in same boat as you deaf on left and aide on right,.I go to asl site there is phases to learn and start there. it has helped me. Also I sign to all those stuppied people who refuse to help me. I do what I think is best for me. text on phone and facebook, also sign what i know to those i love they will pick up on it. I cant hear behind me at all.. I use mirrors have them set up all over my house. especially in front of me at my computer, the kitchen sink we built a shelf above me to place a mirror.. If you are looseing your hearing .get going it goes fast .. a new friend

at least you got a letter mine just ignore me.. Not one person came to see me . when they found out i couldnt hear them any more.. I hope you find a church that has a screen in the front the new contemperay churchs do now. but cant hear what the preacher is saying , The music is so loud, all i hear is drum s beats very loud no music...

at least you got a letter mine just ignore me.. Not one person came to see me . when they found out i couldnt hear them any more.. I hope you find a church that has a screen in the front the new contemperay churchs do now. but cant hear what the preacher is saying , The music is so loud, all i hear is drum s beats very loud no music...

Look at the bottom of this post on the right. See the box called "quote" . When you are responding to someone, push that quote button and then type what you want to say under the quote.

Otherwise we have very little idea who or what you are talking about.

Like Webexplorer said just tell them you can't hear (at the store) just point to your ear smile and shake your head, they get the picture :) and its less stressful then trying to lipread or develop pshycic powers and respond accordingly (I tried this, based on their facial expressions, I usually got it wrong)

With your family, you can ask them to learn point them in the direction of an asl class or ask them to go with you, start there. Learning ASL may actually help with all of this, it gets better and easier :)

I am in the almost same boat as you. Deaf left side and right is going fast. I use mirrors as i dont hear behind me. it is very stressful especially when they dont pay attention to you. I just swipe my card and smile.

Roy

Wirelessly posted (iPhone4)

My name is Roy Shearer.
I live along Alabama's Gulf Coast.
Signed on here because I am late deafened and am seeking guidance and information to learn ASL.
Recently declined Bilaterial Cochlear Implants.
Either way, I am deaf. So I prefer to adjust to communicating with ASL.
Family is behind my decision and we all want to learn ASL.
Problem is finding an individual or local support from the deaf community to work with us.
I love humor and do not take myself seriously. I am 60 years old with 30 years experience!

that is great that the family is behind you. I am late deaf also brain tumor. gone but got one 2 deep to get. 58 and counting backwards

thanks I put muy skype name up but no takers yet, guess they know a dummy when they see one.. but i am die hard will keep practiceing on own..

Give me your Skype name and I will add you. I too am learning ASL but I am total deaf. My daughter uses the computer more than me, but I will keep checking.

Give me your Skype name and I will add you. I too am learning ASL but I am total deaf. My daughter uses the computer more than me, but I will keep checking.

birdlady65301 thanks send me yours and i will add also

Look at the bottom of this post on the right. See the box called "quote" . When you are responding to someone, push that quote button and then type what you want to say under the quote.

Otherwise we have very little idea who or what you are talking about.

thank you. i am also trying to learn how to get on skype i set up account but, cant figure how to sign,what to say .it is nerveracking.. how did you learn..?

thank you. i am also trying to learn how to get on skype i set up account but, cant figure how to sign,what to say .it is nerveracking.. how did you learn..?

Learn Skype? Learn sign?

Skype directs you.

Sign from kids, grandparents, fellow group home captives, classes. (I have many framed certificates. :lol:) Doesn't make me good. Just jump in and ask. Fingerspell to ask a sign, or type out on Skype.

Back