Adjustment to late onset deafness

I really don't want to bring up the health care issue, I know you guys are battling with it, but my ha's cost $4700 here in Canada. They are paid for. Plus, all batteries, adjustments, visits, etc., paid for. I get new hearing aids every 5 years....paid for, for life.

I really don't want to bring up the health care issue, I know you guys are battling with it, but my ha's cost $4700 here in Canada. They are paid for. Plus, all batteries, adjustments, visits, etc., paid for. I get new hearing aids every 5 years....paid for, for life.

See, you have come up with an advantage you have over the US.

You are now adjusted fine. Go out and argue politics and oil in the regular threads!!:wave:

Not all ha's are paid for in full in canada..that's a great plan u have or coverage from ur province...in canada u get 500 paid towards hearing aids every 5 years and fm system thru Assistive Devices Program but that's it which is great cuz it's something...

LOL@Bott. :laugh2:

Better wear your flame retardant suit. :lol:

Fx, did you check with your states Vocational Rehab? Many will pay for your aids, audio, ent as long as you need them for work. It would be worth looking into for your next visit since this one is all set. Now take Bot's advice..... hehehe

Fx, did you check with your states Vocational Rehab? Many will pay for your aids, audio, ent as long as you need them for work. It would be worth looking into for your next visit since this one is all set. Now take Bot's advice..... hehehe

I will have to check into this. Right now, my employer is fighting me on getting medical coverage so i am thinking about just paying for it on my own. Drawback to private insurance right now is that they do not cover nearly as much as the group ones do. I should know in a few days to a few weeks. I really hope they get this fixed for us in the US, but I doubt it with as many fingers that are in the cookie jar.
As for now, I am in a holding pattern, I have not had any more drop outs of sound, and once I get some coverage or another hearing loss spell I am going to see a ENT. I have talked with my family about my hearing test. So far, it has been not well received as I expected. Mom says not to worry about it as it happens to everyone in the family and my interest in ASL is way to early since I can still hear something. While my brother and sister-in-law don't seem to know what to think other then they too seem to feel ASL is not worth the investment in time.
Good news is that one of my friends on the other hand is interested and is helping me study and is going to try and teach her kids as well as we both muddle through it. I figured it would be a up hill battle with the family, after all, I am the 1st to really do anything about it.

Be a trail blazer. Go forward with your plans. Get a hearing test and learn sign language. If you're family is not interested, that's their decision. Family members may later view you as a role model and follow you. If not, it's their loss.

Be sure to hang around AD and get support here. I'll look forward to hearing about your progress. :D

Sorry guys. Free. Did I mention free? It ain't a provincial plan either, duh. Free. Look into it. Oh, and the better than the US comment? Really, get your head out of the sand and ask someone other than an American how they feel about America.....I can't believe you said that. Do you really feel that superior to think I was making an anti-american statement? I was just saying that there are options when it comes to getting very expensive items that will benefiet your life. I thought $500 for glasses was expensive....

Sorry guys. Free. Did I mention free? It ain't a provincial plan either, duh. Free. Look into it. Oh, and the better than the US comment? Really, get your head out of the sand and ask someone other than an American how they feel about America.....I can't believe you said that. Do you really feel that superior to think I was making an anti-american statement? I was just saying that there are options when it comes to getting very expensive items that will benefiet your life. I thought $500 for glasses was expensive....

Do you have a little hostility going on? Do your supervisors know?

I would not trust you to give a speeding ticket.

All I said was a joke to try to cheer you up, but I guess you are into your ingrained patterns. :barf:

You know what, that was wrong. Really, go out and ask someone who isn't an American what they think of you. Did you know that Canada was in the first world war AND second world war BEFORE the Americans would enter? Probably not...it goes on from here...Superman...Canadian...BasketBall....Canadian...surprised? We study world issues, not "we are the center of the world" issues.

Well careful with the jokes. Would you tell a racial joke just because it was funny? You were dissing my country!
Again, you mention ingrained patterns. Profiling police?
Come on, I'm not here as a police officer. I am not here as a Canadian or other. I am here for deaf issues! Please relax.

Relax, hohpolice. Bott made a joke. It wasn't a joke at your expense either. It was meant to be funny and invite you to join in on discussions in other threads. I don't know why you're so defensive against imagined insults. No one here has insulted you in any way.

If you venture into other parts of this forum, you will see that we have some very popular Canadian ADers here.

I'm not upset. Letters don't describe emotion. I am the greatest of kidders. Im good. Thanks for giving a second on Bott's advice. Peace. I'll keep it in context as best I can.

I can't believe the difference. I'm hearing sounds I've never heard before. For example, certain birds.....its amazing!

When I first got the new HA's when I was in my late 30's, I was amazed at sounds I had never heard before or had forgotten. The funniest thing I mentioned to the audiologist when I had the check-up after first getting them, he just about cracked up when I mentioned that a flushing toilet sounded like Niagra Falls, then adjusted the aid a little. I also had never heard a frog before.

FXAvatar,
we have no routine medical insurance and are waiting on some <non-urgent> medical things, too....
but anyway, I am new hoh and happen to have been re-learning ASL w/Deaf friend since before we discovered this.... but my folks don't see it as something to take any steps w/such as learning ASL either.....mom <in her late 70's> has hearing loss too and says, don't worry about it....while I am not "worried" in the way I think she is referring to, I am taking steps forward, such as the ASL, and getting more involved in d/Deaf community here locally. So I will someday be less "signing impaired"

FXAvatar,
we have no routine medical insurance and are waiting on some <non-urgent> medical things, too....
but anyway, I am new hoh and happen to have been re-learning ASL w/Deaf friend since before we discovered this.... but my folks don't see it as something to take any steps w/such as learning ASL either.....mom <in her late 70's> has hearing loss too and says, don't worry about it....while I am not "worried" in the way I think she is referring to, I am taking steps forward, such as the ASL, and getting more involved in d/Deaf community here locally. So I will someday be less "signing impaired"

I think that's great dogmom. The worst is that you have another language under your belt and a whole new group of people you can communicate with. :)

:ty: CJB - no "worst" there -:)
Over the years I have been happy to have used what I did know as I came across Deaf people as i was running errands, etc., and it was very useful to be able to go from verbal English only to usually PSE....or sometimes the little bit of ASL that I did know. One of the first time I had such an encounter and the store clerk's face just lit up w/her smile as she saw me fingerspell VERY ungracefully "banana" as I was looking for bananas in store. I had been walking up to ask her as she was kneeling down working on shelving and when I got up close I saw the HA's, so I tapped her on shoulder gently and asked - SIGN YOU? and then we proceeded to have the conversation about the bananas and some other things I was looking for, although I imagine my signs looked pretty sad-

:ty: CJB - no "worst" there -:)
Over the years I have been happy to have used what I did know as I came across Deaf people as i was running errands, etc., and it was very useful to be able to go from verbal English only to usually PSE....or sometimes the little bit of ASL that I did know. One of the first time I had such an encounter and the store clerk's face just lit up w/her smile as she saw me fingerspell VERY ungracefully "banana" as I was looking for bananas in store. I had been walking up to ask her as she was kneeling down working on shelving and when I got up close I saw the HA's, so I tapped her on shoulder gently and asked - SIGN YOU? and then we proceeded to have the conversation about the bananas and some other things I was looking for, although I imagine my signs looked pretty sad-

I love running into store people that know even a little bit of sign. Even if they can finger spell then that means automatic communication cause all they need to do is finger spell into my hand and I have no problem understanding what they're saying. :)

:D CJB
I think patience is very important in this regard, and being open to things. Having LD has helped make me very patient and to learn new ways....I think sometimes people who have had automatic acceptance, who have not ever had to do anything "differently" many times do not have the perspective to have patience.

Back